main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chalacta/Chalactan Adepts?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by BroodingLion, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BroodingLion

BroodingLion Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 14, 2004
    Apart from what we hear from Mace and Depa in Shatterpoint about Marks of Illumination and all that, is there anything we know about this culture and this planet?

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Apparently not.

3. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    There's a Charlactan Padawan in Dark Lord.

The Charlactans are also mentioned quite a bit in the old HolonetNews articles: Archives

4. EmperorSorridom

EmperorSorridom Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 2, 2005
    The planet Chalacta is in the Mid Rim, near the coreward edge of Hutt Space.

5. BroodingLion

Mar 14, 2004
    Thanks guys; random question, I know - it's just that I'm considering using Depa in a fanfic and I'd like to take things to Chalacta and examine their traditions and wasn't sure what to do with that.

Thanks again - anyone else?

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    No real information I can find, but a suggestion: the actress who played Depa Billaba was Indian, her name is based on Hindi names and sounds, and the Mark of Illumination is aesthetically similar to the tika or bindi worn above the bridge of the nose by married Indian women. That, combined by the small details gleaned from Shatterpoint -- that is, a lot of talk of enlightenment and illumination-- make it safe to assume that those who came up with Depa's backstory had Hinduism and/or Buddhism in mind when they thought up Chalactan spirituality.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Shatterpoint did talk about the dot and what beliefs were held about it. Around midbook? There was so much contrast, like Windu bully and cocky, then illusioning himself to vomit from emotional shock, that it was hard to concentrate.

8. BroodingLion

Mar 14, 2004
    That's actually quite helpful, BobaMatt... thanks.

Now if only I had my copy of Shatterpoint on-campus... I, uh... I don't suppose anyone could excerpt or [less likely to break copyright laws, I assume] summarize a tidbit of Mace's internal exposition... ? [face_blush]

9. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

It came out of the blue, Windu's reflection of it. The whole book he's reflecting, so I really can't pinpoint a sector. Could be a diary entry, might be not.

10. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I remember the jewel she tore off (the top one?) she got later in her life, after she distinguished herself among her people as a hero. I believe she didn't think she was worthy of wearing it anymore. The lower one she always had.

Also...

It was mentioned once that, immediately before the Clone Wars, the leader of Charlacta had to meditate over the matter of whether it was better to join the Separatists or the Republic. So that would mean the leaders play some sort of spiritual role in the community.

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I thought she ripped out the top one because her new philosophy made whatever that top one represented seem unnecessary or untrue. If only I remembered what the two pearls were called.

12. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Here's one of the passages from Shatterpoint:

Later passages mention the Lesser Mark of Illumination on the bridge of her nose.

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    There we go! I remember what I thought when I read it. The upper bead is symbolic of an uncloseable eye. She closed it. She no longer wanted to see the ugliness surrounding her, the darkness enveloping everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.