main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Chalmun's Coffeehouse

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by greencat336, Feb 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001

This was inspired by the Starbucks post . . . It seemed like a good idea to give it a try on the Pittsburgh board. :)

To start things off, a short poll:

1. What's your favorite SW's line (humorous)?
    Han: How're we doing?
    Luke: Same as always.
    Han: That bad, huh?

2. Favorite SW's line (dramatic)?

"I am a Jedi, like my father before me"

3. Most annoying character (besides Ewoks and Jar Jar)

Whiney Luke, early in ANH.

4. Favorite SW film?

ANH (So, call me a traditionalist)

5. If you were stranded on a deserted planet, which character would you want to be with you?

Okay, for me its a toss up between Han Solo and Qui-Gon Jinn. I suspect, though, Han would be alot more fun.

6. To spoiler, or not to spoiler. That is the question.

I never could stand to wait.

Finally, a triva question (easy, because its the first one): Who's Chalmun?

2. NGazer

NGazer Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    1. Favorite SW Line (humorous):
    Would it help if I got out and pushed? -Leia
    It might! -Han

2. Favorite SW line (dramatic):
    "Feel, don't think. Use your instincts."
    -Qui Gon

3. Most annoying character:
    Luke Skywalker (amen to the whiney Luke in ANH, but I can't stand him for most of the entire "classic trilogy")

4. Favorite SW film:
    ESB--I like it when the bad guys win...

5. If you were stranded on a deserted planet, which character would you want to be with you?
    Yoda

Definitely not to spoiler, or to spoiler as little as possible. I read all of 'em for Ep. 1 and it was a mistake, I'm staying away from them for 2 and 3, for the most part. (i.e. I'm looking at the select images and guessing what they are, but I'm not highlighting stuff on TFN)

Finally, a triva question (easy, because its the first one): Who's Chalmun?
    He's the owner of the cantina on Mos Eisely that was in ANH.

My trivia question to all 'yinz (its' sorta easy): What's the level of the detention area that Leia is detained in in ANH?

3. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's not a Luke fan. Through most of the films I feel like smacking him on the back of the head and yelling,"What are you thinking!"

4. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000

OWEN: Luke? Take these two over to the garage, will ya? I want 'em cleaned up before dinner.
    LUKE: But I was going to Toshi Station to pick up some power convertors!

HAN: Well, don't get all mushy on me. So long Princess.

Lando, because I think he one of the worst actors in the movie. Plus he did all those Old E commercials

4. Favorite SW film?

Empire, the Hoth Battle is my fave sequence in the trilogy.

Leia, but she would have to bring her slave outfit.

I'd have to say not to spoiler, I read all the spoilers from Ep1 that I could and it kind of ruined it for me.

The answer to the question is: Level five. Detention block A A-twenty-three.

Ok, here's my question, where did 3po say the droids former master was from?

5. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000

"Shutting up, sir."

"No, I am your father."

hnn...Neimodians

4. Favorite SW film?

RoTJ

Dark Side Luke

Spoiler Free Until Episode Three.

Trivia answer: Alderaan? It was Captain Antilles from their ship, the Tantive IV [I think it was IV] and I think he was from Alderaan.
    My question: Who is Gunther?

6. Oola_Twilek

Oola_Twilek Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    fav humorus:
    leia: "I'd rather kiss a wookie"
    han: " ...he could use a good kiss"

fav dramatic:
    Queen Amidala: " I was not elected to watch my people die while you discuss this invasion in a committe..." (I dont think that was the exact line)

Most annoying character:
    Luke :" But uncle owen..." I can hear his whinny voice now in my head.

Fav Film: ROTJ

Deserted Planet:
    Han in the or EP1 Obiwan - What can I say I am A girl.

spoiler: Deffinatly not! I hated knowing that Qui Gon was going to die. I enjoy the speculation though.

Triva: I am to lazy to think of one to ask....

7. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

We really have a hate Luke club started here. :)

As to Liz's who's Gunther question, the only Gunther I can think of is the barber in the Curtis comic strip. Somehow, I don't think that's who you mean . . .

8. Liz Skywalker

Liz Skywalker Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 13, 2000
    Why do you ppl hate Luke?

9. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

Perhaps hate is too strong a word. "Severely annoyed by" might be a better way of putting it. Luke was supposed to be the Hero, but for the first two films he spent his time complaining and whining.

For example, his Jedi training with Yoda. When Yoda appears, acting like eccentric local, how does Luke behave? Rude and impatient. How many times does he act or say like Yoda is asking him to do the impossible? Then there is the cave . . . If one of the most powerful Jedi in the galaxy, who's also my teacher, tells me I don't need my weopons for a particular lesson, I'd take his word for it. But oh, no. Not doubting Luke. AND then, when he gets the vision of Han & Leia, he abandons his training to run off after them. Not only was he of no help whatsoever, he also has that unfortunate run in with Papa Vader and loses the opportunity for any more training. Okay, Han & Leia are his friends, but in case ol' Luke failed to notice it -- THEY WERE FIGHTING A WAR! In wars, sad to say, sometimes friends die. Sometimes the good of the many comes before the good of the few.

Whew.

Okay, I'll admit that the conversation with Vader helped spark Luke's idea to redem him. Also, the experience certainly seemed to help Luke grow up and become a more mature person. To be perfectly honest, if my best friends were being tortured by my worst enemy, I'd probably drop everything and go after them.

What does everyone else think about this?

And who's Gunther?

--------------------------------------------

ignore the smileys. I'm trying to figure out how to make the different types. I think there was an address with the directions, but I can't find it. Any hints would be appreciated.

:D :p >( :*)

10. NGazer

NGazer Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    Gunther? I am stumped. If it's a character from the comic books, I wouldn't know because I don't really read them. If it's one of the books, I must've forgotten. Good question!

Why do I "hate" Luke? Ugh...he's not a real badass Jedi until ROTJ, and even then he doesn't do as much damage as Kenobi and Jinn did in Ep. 1. And then there's the whining in ANH and ESB, the whole lack of respect for Yoda that greencat mentioned (although his father was equally disrespectful, maybe it runs in the family...). And in the books he seems too philosophical and not as action-minded as many of the other Jedi. He is always looking for peace, too. Seems so boring...but I guess it's Jedi-like. And it's not that I hate him, it's that I don't think as highly of him as other people do.

11. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

So Liz, why do you like Luke?

Who's Gunther? ?[face_plain]

12. Darth_Gohan

Darth_Gohan Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2000
    . What's your favorite SW's line (humorous)?
    Lucke: What a peice of Junk
    or
    Lando: Wuaahh ( being grabbed by the sarlacc)
    Or sweeper hose Oola :)

try not... do or do not... there is no try

the stupid two headed Pod announcer

4. Favorite SW film?

ESB

Mara Jade.. no no wait Slave Leia :)

never spoil i hate that

Finally, a triva question (easy, because its the first one): ... let me get my encyclopedia.... ok since Chalmuns in the picture... this ones kinda easy... what happened to greedo after he was shot by Han

13. Oola_Twilek

Oola_Twilek Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 25, 2000
    lol Darth_Gohan.... sweeper hose....

(ppl have to think we are crazy)

14. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

Wuher used Greedo juice to flavor a specially made liquor designed for Jabba. The juicer he used to process Greedo with was a droid named C2-R4.

WHO'S GUNTHER?????????????????????

15. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    Here's what i found in the TFN's unofficial encyclopedia but under a different spelling of the name.

Gunthar
    this member of the FarStar?s crew was forced to fight in gladiator battles before joining the Alliance. Gunthar was a stocky humanoid with a short tail, whose torso was covered with fur while his abdomen and lower body were scaled. It was later discovered - when the FarStar traveled through the Blue Swirl - that Gunthar was a member of the Yvarema species. In fact, Gunthar was a royal explorer who was mapping a section of the Kathol Rift when he was captured by slavers. Upon his return to Yvara, Gunthar suddenly regained a great deal of intelligence, and pledged his unswerving loyalty to the Majjvara. After the FarStar defeated the Heart of Flesh and allowed the Yvarema to remain free, Gunthar resigned his post aboard the ship and remained on Yvara with his people. At his suggestion, the Majjvara created a new class of Yvarema known as the FarStar Warriors. (KO, KR)

16. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

Thank you.

By the way -- CHECK OUT ALL THE GREEN!!!! How nice. :)

Since you answered the last trivia, Rox, do you have a new trivia?

Where is Liz? Was she upset by the anti-Luke outpouring? If so, I'm very sorry. I was hoping to hear her explain why she was a Luke fan. :(

17. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    New question, how many light years are in a parsec?

18. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

1 parsec = 3.26 light years. That means that 12 parsecs would be 39.12 light years :)

next question: Who's Lwyll?
    -------------------------------------------

Here's a topic for discussion/debate: Chewbacca's death in the EU -- dramatic literary incident or horrible mistake?

My opinion: Although I love Chewie and was devestated when he was killed, I think that his death was an incredible dramatic event that put a real spark in the EU. Up to that point, when our heros were in danger there was no real dramatic tension. The reader knew that they would survive and win the day. However, with Chewie's death, all bets are off. If he goes, who else could? Now when a character is in danger, there is some real tension -- will this character die, too, or will he/she overcome the threat? Furthermore, there is some precident -- think Obi-wan and Qui-gon, deaths that helped move the story along.

Looking forward to reading your respones! If anyone has an idea for another debate/discussion topic - please post it.

19. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I agree that with death in EU it's a change for the good, it means that no one is safe. But they didn't have to kill Chewie! He was my favorate when I was a kid. When I read it I actually had to put the book for a minute because i was so pissed off, I almost didn't want to read the rest of the book. Now that they started killing off main characters I think Mara or Lando will be next, my best guess it will be Mara. I think she'll die giving birth to her and Luke's child, (which I think will be a girl).

20. NGazer

NGazer Jedi Youngling

Feb 22, 2001
    Chewie's death shocked me, I never considered him a character that would be killed in the EU (I was always thinking Lando) but of course VP proved me wrong. In fact, I was just in Barnes and Nobles today and I picked up a copy of the "Chewbacca" comic book and read the part that reviews his death...I still can't believe they did it. But just remember--Fett is dead after ROTJ, so Chewie is still "canonically" alive.
    I think his death was appropriate though. It gives meaning to the NJO series, whereas all the other SW books have been driven by a different sort of events. Although I really miss Chewie...
    I also can't say I read the NJO with the apprehension that another character will be killed off. I think the EU authors will stick with Chewie's death as an event that defined the series.
    But a friend of mine brought up an interesting point--Luke could die. This is one of the last chances the SW community has to give Luke a heroic death, or else he will have to die an old man. Think of how serious a threat the Vong are--and Mara is pregnant (its a boy, and they're going to name him Ben :) ) so having Luke die defending his child and wife would certainly be a heroic, blaze-of glory death. Although I don't think it will happen, I think it's an interesting point.
    And the point about Mara's death is interesting too. Since the Vong supposedly "infected" her, could the disease affect her child?

21. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001

I don't think they'll kill off Luke. At its heart, Star Wars is still "The adventures of Luke Skywalker." Lando and Mara are too obvious of choices for the next to die, I think. Although I wonder if Leia's injuries will permentantly disable her. That might be something interesting, it would certainly make a change in her and Han's life.

Mara is going to have a girl. They will somehow find out (at very long last) the name of Luke & Leia's mom and call the baby Amidala. :) or maybe not. I still think it will be a girl though.

22. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I think I'm going to change my vote on who might die next. I think it will be Anikan. I think he will eventually turn to the dark side like his namesake and kill himself redeeming himself to save a planet or something.

23. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Nah, if anyone turns to the dark side it will be Jacen. He'll slip into it by trying to do the right thing in a bad situation, thinking he can handle it, and fail. He reminds me a bit of his Uncle Luke.

24. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    That's why he wouldn't be the one to turn, If the books go far enough I think Jacen will take over the new academy as master.

25. Rox

Nov 24, 2000
    I don't know if you read the new paperback(Conquest) could be a minor spoiler..

..but it really seemed to me that in the end there will only be jedi. No light or dark jedi just jedi. My guess is that the jedi religion is part of a bigger thing. I think that the reason the jedi can't feel the vong is that they charish death and see nothing wrong with killing and the jedi charish life, they are the protectors. Anikan was on the verge of this when traveling with the shamed vong. It seemed to me that he even dipped into the darkside alittle but unknowingly because he was going along with some of the vong ideas. Eventually the jedi will be able to sense the vong through the force inventing a new rivalry. ie. dark and light side of the force but different. In the end I think the vong's dependency in living organisms for everything will be there downfall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.