Chalmun's Coffeehouse

Discussion in 'Pittsburgh, PA' started by greencat336, Feb 24, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I'm partway through Conquest, you have an interesting idea about the direction the Jedi might take, but I'm not far enough into the book to feel comfortable commenting on it. I'll get back to you on it when I'm done.

However, as to the Anakin goes darksider idea -- no, I still don't think so and its the Conquest book that's helped me make the idea of why clearer. Anakin has had the idea of him going darksider ever since he could remember. To me it seems like living with the knowledge you have a predisposition for a deadly, hereditary disease. You always know its a possibility, you're aware of it, so you take the precautions/preventive steps to minimize the chances you'll get it. Does that make sense?
  2. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

I finished Conquest today.

WARNING: Possible Conquest spoilers ahead.

I agree that the Jedi are going to have to change, but not in the how. Anakin has taken the first steps of this change with his hybred lightsaber. Light and Dark remain within or out of the Force -- Light and Dark are just another way of expressing the idea of good & evil.

The Force is (as Anakin discovers) just a manisfestation of the most basic elemental good & evil. By that last bit I mean something like when you know in your gut something is right or wrong, but can't find the words to express it. The Force is like one way of expressing it. The Vong use a completely different method, or putting it another way the Vong operate on another wave length than those from the Jedi's galaxy. Anakin has started to learn how this basic elemental good&evil is expressed to the Vong -- in a way learning a new language, a new way to communitcate with living things.

At least, that's my opinion of it. . . :)
  3. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Just randomly upping this. Did I get too deep on my discussion of the Force?

We could always regress into a debate about young Obi-Wan's beard. I don't care that Sir Alec wore one. I just don't like it on Ewan. Couldn't he have grown it while hidding out on Tatooine. On the other hand, (face?) Qui-Gon looks d@mn fine in a beard . . . and in anything else [face_mischief]

Just strange random thoughts on a quiet Sunday afternoon as I take a break from working on my fanfic (shameless plug)

Hmmmm, maybe I need to switch to decaf :)
  4. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Here's a few topics I thought would get something going in this thread again.

1.How do you think the Vong will cope with the dying world ship?

2.Do you think that the Vong will get to Coruscant?

3.Do you think it's finally time for Han to retire the Falcon and get something newer?

1.I think that this is where the Vong will start to lose there edge in space. With the world ship about to kick the bucket the Vong will have to grow another one. I know they are far superior when it comes to biology, but it would definately give the Republic a chance to really open things up, maybe even ith the WS's death it would show some sort of weakness to the Republic about the makeup of there ships.

2.I think it would be kind of cool to see the republic have to move there capital, but I really don't think it will get that far. I think one of the last battles of the war with the Vong will take place here. Maybe even change the face of the capital planet for ever, wouldn't it be cool if they had to start from scratch and the planet took on a more biological rather than mechanical trend. It would be an ironic end to things with the Vong. But I don't think that they would ever take the capital.

3.I'm a big pack rat myself but I think han needs to get a new ship. The ships got to be like 30 years old and been gutted and redone several times. It's a historical monument it belongs in a museum. There family's loaded, he'd have no problem upgrading to something better. And besides, I think it would help him get over his battle with Chewie's death.

what do you think?
  5. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5

1. The Vong are firmly established on several planets. If the world ship dies, it may slow them down a bit, but not much. Wasn't the primary purpose of the WS to get them through the void between galaxies? (correct me if i'm wrong) Now that they have arrived and taken over several planets, they have the resources to grow a new WS.

2. The tech-hating Vong in Corscucant. My, that would be fun. They'd most likely want to trash the whole planet. I think they might attack, but I don't see them conquering it. Maybe as part of the final battle?

3. Han will never, never, never give up the Falcon. Its a part of him. Yeah, there are alot of memories of Chewie connected to the Falcon, but after time those will be fond remembrances rather than painful reminders. (I hope) So what if the Falcon is a little old? She might not look like much but she's got it where it counts. She'll make .5 past lightspeed! :)

6. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    Anyone get Rebirth yet? I'm gonna get mine on friday.

Possible spoilers ahead...

From what I've heard this is the birth of Luke and Mara's kid book, also there's the return of Wedge(I think he's one of the most underated and underused supporting characters in the NJO). Hopefully saturday when I get into the book a little I can get the Rebirth juices flowing and spark some good old EU conversation.
  7. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I am so far behind on my reading. I got Balance Point weeks ago and have not managed to read it yet. Spending too much time reading fanfic on TFN. I did read JA #14 and liked it. I liked the JA special edition, too for that matter. It was a good portrayal of Young Anakin. Better, I thought than Rogue Planet.

Since I'm dog sitting for my sister's roommate this weekend, I'll pick up rebirth and see if I can get it read . . .

8. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Greencat has several rambling topics for today. :)

I have completely failed to pick up Rebirth. I did get Cloak of Deception, but haven't read it yet.

I also got my check from George W. today! Yippee. I think the tax rebate thing was a stupid idea, a desperate attempt to raise his popularity that will have no long term benefits on the economy and may actually cause some dameage to the surplus, but . . . I'm still planning on going out and having some fun with the extra $$$$$$$

Finished reading Shadow of the Hegemon by Orson Scott Card. Its part of the Ender's Game series for those that don't know. Good book, enjoyed it alot, although the whole genetic engineering thing with Bean seems a little off to me. Don't know if that was really necessary. A minor quibble with an otherwise good story.

A story that you may find amusing (or not). My two and a half year old niece has started into that afraid of the dark phase (monsters under the bed, etc). Her four year old brother handed her one of the toy lightsabers I had bought for them and told her that if any monsters bother her, just use the lightsaber to slice them up. She asked him, "Like Aunt Chris?" (me, the family SW fanatic), and when her brother confirmed "Yeah, like Aunt Chris," she happily curled up with the lightsaber and went to sleep. I feel so proud that I've helped corrupt a new generation. :D

So what else is everyone up to? Getting excited about the road trip to Toledo? Are you managing to stay cool in this nasty weather?

Oh, I saw Planet of the Apes. It was okay, except for the ending, which made no sense at all. I hate movies that abandon their internal logical. I'm quite willing to suspend disbelief, as long as they follow their own rules.

My rambles done. Chat again later!
  9. greencat336 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Check it out! Rox and I got a cameo in Rogue 1-and-a-half's fanfic Era's End Page 7.

Its an interesting story set in the virtual world of the TheForce.net I highly recommend you go read it. But, here is the excerpt that has Rox and me. :D

Greencat 336 awoke suddenly. The sounds of alarms going off. For an instant, she didn't remember where she was. Ah, yes, Fan Force.

She clawed for the lightswitch and flicked it on. She blinked rapidly. It was morning, technically, though she had to admit it was a slice of morning she'd not seen in a long time.

She stumbled to the door of her room and went into the hall. People were running here and there, to and fro. She reached out grabbing for someone. Rox was running by. "Rox, what's going on?"

Rox paused. "I'm trying to find out."

Greencat let Rox go. Greencat leaned back against the wall. "This is going to be trouble."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.