main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tucson Change careers

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by firstsonofsolo, Jun 25, 2007.

?

Change careers

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. yea go for it

42.9%
  2. no don't do it

14.3%
  3. only do it if you can afford to

42.9%
  1. firstsonofsolo

firstsonofsolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2006
    Hey guys and gals I finally have a job offer from Interstate. Well we have discussed solid numbers but it will at least be in the $14-15 range hopefully more. I am currently making around $18 so that means prob a part time job 2-3 nights a week.

Ok now the benefits are a normal schedule M-F 8-5 sat and sundays off all major holidays off 2 weeks of actually paid vacation.

It also means going back to being a grunt no more decesion making which although stressful I am very good at managing.

Interstate also has awesome benefits and a retirement plan.

I have been kicking myself since I left 2 years ago. If I would have stayed I would be making more than I am currently! Guess thats the problem taking risks they can set you back just as much as boost you.

So since besides Amber and the kids and my mom I have no family so I ask you guys.....MY FAMILY

Vate and giver me your input!

-Chris

2. PikeKrzoick

PikeKrzoick Jedi Youngling

Oct 15, 2006
    Hey there!

If it's just opinions you're looking for, I've got one of those on this subject. I am a firm believer that you have to enjoy what you're doing at work, or it will make a negative impact on everything else in your personal life. I think I know what you do now (CB @ TM?) but I don't know what Interstate is.

To me, salary ranks third after enjoyment and benefits, which is why I am doing my job at about half the pay of my counterparts across the state. I have attended two classes given by psyche doctors regarding unhappiness at work, and in both classes, the docs said that if you are unhappy at work, you will spend all of the money that you are earning buying toys to compensate for unhappiness at work, but it is only a temporary fix, and you will slide into gloom again. This leads to buying more toys to try to find that happiness again, and eventually getting into debt, making the extra money you're earning actually backfire, and now you've got bill problems in addition to being miserable from your job. Benefits make a huge difference when you add up their value, if you visit doctors a lot or have children. I personally put more weight into benefits than pay.

As far as retirement goes, I think that most people our age will have to work until pretty late in life. Most of us will still be working when we start developing health problems. If you are still somewhat healthy and live a while past retirement, then it would count for a lot to be able to live comfortably. My step-father just retired this year from a well paying job, but his health problems are keeping him from enjoying all that he's worked so long for. I think that giving retirement too much weight in your decision is a risk. After all, those creepy Jedi are always talking about keeping your mind in the here and now.

As far as the voting bar at the top of this thread, I can't choose one of the three choices given. My vote would be for the one that you would be happiest with, regardless of pay. If you and your family are happy and not falling into debt now, don't give that up for more money. I'm sure I've got a warped view on this subject that may not make sense to a lot of other people, but it comes from dealing with unhappy people every day for the past 15 years.

Good Luck with your decision. Hopefully someone else in this "family" will be more helpful than I was.

3. hal9k1

hal9k1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2003
    My opinion comes from my personal experience.

You took a chance and it didn't work out as well as you thought. Sometimes you have to take a chance and it does not work out as you hoped. At least you took the shot. In hind sight maybe making the change was not the best idea, but you can only know that after the fact.

Personally if you went back to Interstate it would be less stress thus less stress in your personal and professional life. From my view that is the most important thing. Whatever works best for you and the family, what makes you happy. Money is always going to be an issue but at least try to be comfortable and happy in how you make it. New opportunities always arise if you?re willing to see them and take them.

I keep trying to get back into my "old" job even if it's less pay then when I left; the benefits and change in schedule outweigh the money.

4. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Wait . .. even if we vote Amber still has the final say. :p

I don't envy you, Chris. It is horrid to have to make a decision like this but I'd have to ask where will you be happiest and what is going to be best for you and your family.

5. Mugen

Mugen Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2005
    While weekends are a preferred time to have off, (I work 50 hrs straight on weekends) I still find time to have fun during off days..m-fri. If you are happy with the money that you are making right now...stay, if not then go. And have youre blasted weekends..its not like im' envious or anything!!! :mad: [face_talk_hand] [face_not_talking]

:p whatever you choose brother...do it for youre family, and were behind you.

6. 14of3amberofborg

14of3amberofborg Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2006
    I think the biggest issue right now is how MUCH he works. He is working like 50-60 hours per week that should go up to about 70+ here for a while. He has missed out on birthdays, the kids competitions, and lessons as well as just being with me (I mean who DOESNT want to be with me?). The money is nice but he is also stressed out most of the time and then he becomes a butt and I respond in usual Amber fashion (for those that know me well you know what that means!) I want him to be happy at work, he LOVES manageing but he needs to decide what makes him happiest. If he decides to be home more he needs to pick up after himself better. Nuff said!

7. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Unclear on what U said Mrs. Borg. If he stays put he will be working more hours than he is now or if he changes occupations his hours will be more than it is now?

Also, security is a big issue (at least it is with me). Knowing your wanted and have a job that is a secure income (no fear of being fired and not getting warning and knowing what your pay is every week) is something to consider. I know retirement is not something most of us think of but later in life you will be thinking of it all the time. When it's too late to really be pro-active about it. Benefits (medical and paid holidays) are also something to think of.

But again, your personal life (as it being effected by your working life) is probably the biggest thing, if your not happy at work you just not going to be happy at all in any other facet of your life. I know this was stated by TK-3102 but I thought it bore repeating.

Ask yourself: do you want to drag yourself out the door to go to work or do you want to walk out the door to work? Going to a job that you hate that wears you down and affects your whole personality and everyone around you.

Whatever makes you happy, when you are content, everything else seems to fall into place. Making a lot of money is not everything, not if you loose everything else you hold as truly valuable in your life because of your job and how it affects you.
    This comes from someone that been out of work for 7 months and getting desperate. I still will not do something that I despise, I know how that affects me and it?s just not worth it. I?ve made a ton of money working a job I just didn?t like. I made less money working a job I really liked. I?d take the less pay and better job anytime. I?d rather make less, worry about money, but be happy otherwise. In the long run it?s still a better option in my experience.

8. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    In my opinion, from working with you, what I've seen is that you not only enjoy managing, but you are incredible at it. You pulled the store back from the ground, and the only thing you have complained about is your boss. I don't think you'd do this well as a grunt. I'd say, look for another option. You do great in the food business, and its too bad that the Blackjack gig didn't work out. Heck, if possible, you might even want to stay in the Mall. You have made so many friends there, and everybody knows and loves you there (with the exception of a few employees :D). But I know that you can't stand the owner, and you have had every reason to just leave without notice and watch the store plummet and burn. But good luck in whatever you choose. AND TAKE ME WITH YOU :_| !!!!!!!!!!

9. dialswiftjustice

dialswiftjustice Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005

the slight cut in wage justifies the better hours, and benefits, which in the end, will increase the quality of yours, and your families life.

And knowing you have the security of medical, and retirement is a big stress reliever.

Do it.

10. JediObiKat

JediObiKat Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 15, 2006
    I agree with Dustin. Having regular hours is great. Definitely consider the benefits and retirement along with the salary.

11. 14of3amberofborg

May 22, 2006
    Retirement is not really an issue. We have personal retirement and IRA's as well as life insurance. Plus I carry all the medical and such, so its more of a money and time thing.

12. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    Then I'm going to have to say this -- whatever is going to make Chris happiest is going to lead to a happy Amber which in turn leads to a happy family. Family is #1.

Also, which job can you see yourself doing in 5 years, 10 years, etc.

13. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005
    I've listened to you talk about the job and other possible openings for a few months now, so here is my free advice.

The fact that you have been mentioning other job opprortunities for several months leads me to conclude that you do not like your situation with your boss. If you were happy with the "Hot Rolls" situation, there would not be any reason to look elsewhere. As long as he is your boss he will always be a source of stress and irritation to you. Two things you can do; accept the stress and long hours that this butthead gives you, or get a new boss/be your own boss.

From what I hear you seem to have a real knack for management. You yourself have said to me that you enjoy it. Mike had some good advice(:eek: ) when he suggested you put out feelers for possible management positions at the mall.

I don't know that I would recommend returning to Interstate. You would know best the reasons that you left them in the first place. But it could prove to be a good "temp" job while you continue to look for the job that excites you.

14. _Anakin_Vader_

_Anakin_Vader_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 8, 2005
    What's that supposed to mean?!?!

15. thatsMISTERwookiee

thatsMISTERwookiee Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2005

Just having a little fun with ya. For one so young it was quite a good idea. No blood, no foul, no edits...:D

16. hal9k1

Dec 22, 2003
    Chris, what is your 1st instinct on the subject, what is your "gut" tell ya, not taking logic into the equation.

17. 14of3amberofborg

May 22, 2006
    Do you mean what does MY gut tell him????
    Poor guy....