main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Change from the Lightsaber(MSW) to Map

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by jedijax, Dec 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    This was discussed on the Maz thread a little, but I wanted to see what people thought.

For a while we were told the story would center around the Bespin lightsaber. From the lightsaber floating in space to the farmer finding and igniting it to Han looking at it and wanting to go to Maz to "read" or interpret it, it all seemed kind of interesting but rather sloppy. It was also way too complicated (how did the saber keep floating, how did it get to the planet, why did Han need to go to Maz about it, what did the lightsaber have to do with Luke's location, etc.). It was something that had to be interwoven in such a way as to make the whole thing horribly convoluted.

But apparently they altered it. Instead of the saber, it was part of a map that was important. Instead of a floating lightsaber, we still had ships in the beginning. Han didn't go to Maz because of the lightsaber. Instead, he went to Maz to get Rey and Finn to safety. Maz happened to have the lightsaber there and we should find out later why. The map was separate from the saber, making it such that the lightsaber could have a much more understandable story. They appeared to erase the rumored bit that Maz took the lightsaber OR it kept floating through space. None of that worked and was WAY too confusing. They certainly streamlined it.

As for how Maz got the saber? That now has as much easier set of theories. Someone from Bespin (maybe Lando) could have gotten it from his people, brought it to Leia (after Luke was gone) and Leia gave it to Maz for safe keeping. Or perhaps pirates somehow got it from Bespin and brought it to Maz. There are many different explanations for it now and the door is left wide open. Maybe Luke DID get it back after ROTJ and Maz WAS at the academy.

Anyway, the more I think about it, despite wishing they had that "sayonce" scene with hand holding. it would have made for a more confusing storyline.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
  2. SaintKenobi1322

SaintKenobi1322 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 17, 2013
    I doubted msw because the saber as a path to Luke thing never made any sense to me and was just plain silly.

It is entirely possible that we will never know how maz got the saber. It really isn't a requirement for the plot.

3. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005

The thing is though that the saber story was more than likely what they were actually using, it's not just a bad rumor from MSW - they clearly cut a scene of Maz handing Leia the very same saber that we all saw in the trailer so at some point there had to be more focus on it.

4. Tanjint

Tanjint Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 21, 2015
    Or just a different focus.

They clearly were tinkering with the idea of saber/map combo and ultimately decided to separate. Might be as simple as that

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Like I said, the map worked MUCH better, especially considering what the Visual Dictionary said about Tekka. He was close to Leia and Luke. He worked with Luke to learn about ancient Sith lore which clearly led Luke to the "first" temple (not sure why Obi-Wan and Yoda's ghost couldn't be the ones but oh well). Makes sense that Luke trusted Tekka with part of the map. It is also probably that Luke knew Maz and somehow the saber ended up with her as part of an "excaliber" type of torch passing. The saber floating through space never seemed like a viable idea but the map was very very straight forward and also sets up nicely for future animated series/novels/comics etc.

The next question is Why is Luke so important?

6. ReyPrescott

ReyPrescott Jedi Master star 3

Oct 3, 2015
    Seriously, a light saber floating through space? :oops:If that and "mah bby gurl" HAD happened... I dont even know.

7. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Great thread. I think most of us are relieved by the change. And I believe this comunity has played a big part in that change. Almost no one liked the idea, and I am sure Lucasfilm read it and give it a second thought. It never made much sense as the saber was not even in the same timeline, it was the first part of the flashback in Maz´s pub.

What I still cannot understand is why use the Bespin saber. That was well where it was before the movie. I would have used Luke´s saber instead. the green one.

8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I suspect the blue saber is used because it ties in to its maker, Anakin. His legacy is still causing ripples in the history of the GFFA.

9. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I have to be honest: when I watched TFA for the first time and they panned down to show space right after the crawl, I [face_praying] there was no floating hand.

:D

I am so glad they didn't go that way.

But, early in development, the concept artists fleshed out the idea that there was this huge search for all of these Force-based and dark side artifacts.

The existing film doesn't say that didn't happen but it just jumps ahead into the story a bit further and I'm glad they did for Han(ds) sake :p

liquidocelot and Jaina_Snoke like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.