main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Change of venue - moved from Earls Court to ExCel in London

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by CarolynNC, Nov 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolynNC

CarolynNC Jedi Master star 3

Mar 29, 2002
  2. Jairen

Jairen Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2000
    That has a major impact on those that have already booked hotels.

It was interesting to note that tickets and hotel packages are going to be available at the end of November.

3. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I've never even heard of ExCeL. Where is it in London anyway?

4. johnny124

johnny124 Jedi Youngling

Apr 20, 2005
    Its on the Docklands Light Railway - not too far from the tube, and easy enough to get to. Its where some conventions are held already (londonexpo)- I've been once and it was an ok place.

Edit: some hotel info here

http://www.londonexpo.com/hotels.shtml

5. Whim_of_the_Whills

Whim_of_the_Whills Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2006
    It's about 10 mins out of Strafford - opposite end of London to Earls Court.

It is a much better venue though, no doubt - more space, more open and more facilities.

Total sympathy for those who booked hotels near Earls Court though - talk about pain in the butt!

6. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    I have never known any convention to change venue just like that

7. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Please note that apparently within the next 14 days there will be hotel packages available for CE.

* sits tapping feet and wonders why they didnt do it all at once...?

8. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's a pain in the butt. Earls Court was close for me. ExCel is clear across London. That'll be a long train/tube trip.

9. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    At least some news about CE.
    If it's really for the sake of more space I'm all for it.

So sorry for the people with hotel reservations.

10. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    Well I like more space! :D

So, I guess the banner in here needs to be modified? ;)

11. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Looks like it. Maybe timbolton can get one of the Fan Force banner makers to do one. I'm crap at banners so it won't be me.

12. skywalker_1982

skywalker_1982 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 25, 2004
    Well I made a reservation for the hotel near earls court so I shall have to cancel it.
    I am not so much fussed about where it is in london cause getting around is not a problem its just the fact today we find out not only theres a venue change but packages will be available as from the end of november which is only next week so really it would be nice to have a email tomorrow or something saying when this will be.
    Considering I signed up to the site mailing list quite a while ago I would have thought something like this would have been sent to people who signed up.

13. Cobranaconda

Cobranaconda Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 3, 2004
    I'll try and book a Travelodge or ibis about 15 minutes away then. That way, it won't be packed, and I can still walk there. Plus I can get it pretty cheap :p

14. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Ouch for the people who've booked hotels. I think Excel is actually closer to me than EC was . . . Central line to Stratford and then a nice run down on the DLR.

15. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    There was an email from them in my inbox this morning about the venue change. It didn't really add any info that I hadn't already seen using the link in the first post though.

16. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    ExCel is a better venue and when I was there in October, a small part of me wished it was going to be held there so it's funny how it's all worked out. However, it'll only be bigger then EC if they have access to all the units, which might not be possible. But having self contained units will work out better, and the Docklands is a great part of London.

A shame because of hotel reservations and all that, but easy to cancel and start again :p

Looks like we'll be having some ticket info come our way soon too.

17. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    I have nothing against ExCel as a venue - it's just that Earls Court would have been so convenient - train to Richmond and then tube. For ExCel it looks like it's train to Waterloo, then Tube out to ExCel.
    Is there actually a tube station at ExCel or do you have to take the DLR to get there?

18. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    ExCel is probably better for me as it's just a train and DLR ride away, so it swings and roundabouts which is to be expected given the size of London.

The nearest tube is Canning Town, which is on the Jubilee line.

From that tube station you can walk (but it may take a wee while) or get the DLR to Custom House. Custom House is also served by National/over-head trains. In fact there is a train that runs from Richmond direct to Custom House but may take a while.

C-c-c-check it out:Silverlink Route Map

:D

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Silverlink does look like it would take awhile. Well, plenty of time to plan for it.

20. veritasuk

veritasuk Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2004
    takes me back, SFX held there second convention there in about 2002. I kid you not Me and my friend were the only ones in costume out of every one there

21. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Does this mean the banner needs to be re-designed too? ;)

SFX conventions :eek: Well, if they were as good as the magazine then that must have been a real blast, lol.

22. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Heh, Matt ... you putting yourself forward for banner artist? I did the Earls Court one, so I'd be happy to see someone else have a go ;)

23. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    Excel is an awesome venue. I've been to about 3 cons there. Nice and big, and nice and close to me.

24. Darth_Tofu

Darth_Tofu Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2002
    I'm glad they changed the venue if it's that much better at the ExCel than Earls Court,

but I'm REALLY irked that I already had my hotel reservation and now I have to go through the whole process again!

It is not easy to make reservations when you're 9 time zones away!

25. Wengboi

Wengboi Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 5, 2006
    Ah bummer, I have no idea where excell is.
    It was daunting enough a prospect going to earls court, lol!
    Can I get a train to excel from padington? Or do I have to get a bus or something?
    Is anyone else from Wales going?

I'm scared daddy! =p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.