main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Changed my opinion on the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Havok176, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Havok176

Havok176 Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    Just re-watched the PT after seeing TFA, and im surprised i missed a lot of things good about this movie. I always had a negative view on PT like many others(not that im some OT purist, got more into Star Wars because of the EU not the movies).

What really left me liking this movie is the story, it is the best story of all currant movies made imo. The fall of Anakin to the dark side and Palpatines rise to the emperor is something i enjoyed.

Anakins fall was perfect, some say it was for a girl but i got much more than that from it. The way the Jedi Order became hypocritical during the war that went against there teachings. Never trusting Anakin from the start. Making him part of the council but not a master, to than Obi telling him the council wanted him to spy on Palpatine, the one person who would listen to him and encouraged his potential. Some great scenes where he tells Padame that hes not the Jedi he should be and that the council and Obi doesn't trust him. The scene where he kills Dooku than regrets saying its not the Jedi way. To the scene about Plagueis and how the Jedi and Sith are similar in almost every way when Anakin said the Jedi use there power for good. You see how Palpatine is putting little by little ideas in his head. Of course the Mace scene where Mace has Palpatine pinned and was about kill him, Anakins need for Palpatine to save his wife after he could not save his mother, and with Mace going against the jedi code.

Of course with watching the clone wars tv series it only made it better if you add the loss of his padawan Ahsoka and having the distrust of the council after that whole ark.

I also liked the light-saber duels, yes there were flips that people hate, but i liked that they showed the different forms of light saber combat from the EU, in the ROTS novel they even stated Anakin is a Djem So master.

The Politics was one the the best parts for me, even though it seems like the most reason some hate the PT for "to much politics". You have Papaltine here who used his intelligence an dused it to rise in politics to destroy the thousands of jedi and take control of the galaxy. Used democracy against itself to gain the peoples trust. He didn't take the galaxy over through brute force but careful planning.

After watching TFA i enjoyed the acting better and it was a fun ride but nothing added to the lore nothing about the universe was mentioned quick sentence here or there. It felt like a generic good vs evil plot that appealed to the lowest common denominator with no intricate villain like palpatine especially, reading the Darth Plagueis novel made me enjoy the PT even more.

The negatives would be the acting and dialogue of the movie especially the romance scenes. Although i didn't find Hayden the worst like some but Portman really bad. Hayden at least looked like a badass when turning to Vader when he had scenes showing emotion he was was spot on. Jar Jar was bad but it didn't bother me like some, to the point i lost my mind and could not analysis the movie with a unbiased view.

All in all i feel great i gave the PT another try. I now am a fan of the PT like i am of the OT.

2. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Welcome to the team :p

3. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Yes welcome.

I wonder if I could change your opinion about AOTC? ;)

4. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I agree, the lightsaber duels are amazing in the PT and they do a fantastic job by showing the Jedi in their prime. And I never found the politics terrible, the scenes are not even that long and they're decently interesting scenes if you pay attention to what is going on within the movie. And Anakin's fall may or may not have been rushed, it seemed so slightly but not a big deal- but the reason he fell was because all the stuff he got scolded for doing, the Jedi began doing like Mace Windu breaking the law when he is about to slay the Chancellor. Technically, he had to stand trial and Anakin just got fed up and made a split-second decision. I was an OT fan first but when the PT came out in theaters, I enjoyed it just as much as I did the OT

5. Havok176

Feb 6, 2016
    Yep, the duels are suppose to be like that in my mind,these are jedi not medieval knights. They use the force to enhance there reflexes, speed and strength. In OT it could not be showcased because of the time. Jedi move so fast they appear as a blur. It was a mixture of him needing palpatine that and Maces decision plus the build to that scene with what happened before, at that moment he was like F it.

6. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Lol! You've been paying attention to me [face_peace]

I like how symbolic the film is, and it has arguably the most dramatically moving scene in the films in Shmi's death and the beginning of the Tusken massacre.

Cryogenic describes the dream-like feel of the film so well.

Coruscant at night is pretty trippy. A lot of the feel of the film is trippy actually, even as early as the pan-up at the start. Vertigo for the main characters maybe?

The romance isn't the main problem for me, it has it's bad moments, but I'm actually a fan of the tragic romance aspect of the PT. What could have been and all.

Mainly I just find the film a little long, with too much filler. The acting and dialogue doesn't have quite the spark of ROTS and the OT. Anakin's characterisation left something to be desired, but I still buy him as a tragic hero, I feel sorry for him and his lost potential when Dooku dismembers him. Imo there is some foreboding symbolism in the green "Jedi" saber getting prematurely cut in half, and Anakin then losing his arm fighting with the same saber Obi-Wan lost to Dooku with.

Anakin and Padme declaring their love and being taken out into the Geonosis arena to be "executed" (metaphor for their future) is moving, and I still love the final scene seeing their wedding and the tinge of darkness and depression with Anakin's robotic hand holding Padme's.

If it weren't for a few scenes here and there the film for me would be up there with the rest of them. It had so much potential, the execution is a little lacking.

Tonyg and Davak24 like this.
  7. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    That's a pretty analysis and yeah, I saw you mention what you thought of the movie on another thread.

8. Mace Windu is GOAT

Mace Windu is GOAT Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    The Prequel Trilogy is better than the Original Trilogy but both add up to be some of the seven best movies ever.

9. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yeah, I've spoken a fair bit about my ranking AOTC as my least favourite.
    But any Star Wars is still Star Wars I suppose.

10. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    Welcome to the insanity, OP. ;)

11. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014

I wish I could change nearly everyone's opinion on AOTC, but in the end it doesn't matter. We all want our opinions validated, but just because you go against the grain doesn't mean you're wrong and they're right or vice versa. Art is subjective and opinions vary, and sometimes they're uniform, but there's no absolutes when it comes to overall film quality no matter how hard the pendulum swings in a certain direction. You love the film, you love the film.

12. Davak24

Jul 15, 2015
    Absolutely. Different opinions are good and you shouldn't be made fun of, or condemned for not having the popular opinion.

JawaDog and Mindless Monster like this.
  13. AprilMayJune

AprilMayJune Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2015
    This this this. I hate when people read my "I loved the PT" statements as " you must also love it". They don't have to if they really don't. As I've said here before, I am willing to love it enough for both of us if I have to. :)

Mindless Monster likes this.
  14. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Welcome comrade to....

THE OTHER SIDE OF THE SPECTRUM......

15. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Mace Windu is Awesome wrote

The Prequel Trilogy is better than the Original Trilogy but both add up to be some of the seven best movies ever.

It's only six movies, not seven. And I agree that we will have to disagree.

But TFA has shown me that many things I have come to accept as granted in the PT shouldn't be taken for granted. Thus I have re-evaluated the PT from a new point of view, thanks to Abrams for making this possible. [face_peace]

candymove and Tonyg like this.
  16. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    there are 7 films now and i don't think the pt is better than the ot or the st. they're all great in different ways. each one also builds on the others, in turn offering a different spectrum in which to view them.

SuperSecretMuffin and Seagoat like this.
  17. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    There are 7 films now, but PT and OT both add up to only six. ;)

18. Pax12

Pax12 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 14, 2015
    Despite what I post, I am not an OT purist either. I enjoyed ROTS so much that I consider on par with ROTJ. It was a little confusing but it has some charm to it and the Order 66 scene was perfectly done.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    My stance
    And how I hope to remain once the ST is complete

20. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    I've always tried to decipher what trilogy I like better and I agree. They're both extremely different but both have fantastic aspects about them.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  21. DarthPoojaNaberrie

DarthPoojaNaberrie Jedi Master star 5

Jun 21, 2005
    I find myself (especially lately, what with TFA out) having a short fuse when I see someone insulting the PT. (Or even specifically AOTC since it seems to get the most ~IMO~ undeserved grief) Since the buildup to TFA, taking jabs at the prequels somehow became the cool thing to do and it irritates me so much. I'm always jumping to prequel defense or getting riled up at some article.

I'm not a OT hater, I really like all 7 films. But for me it's like....if you have several kids, but one of them is always the one getting picked on, you're more sensitive to it and ready to jump to that one's defense or read more into thinly veiled insults. So I guess star wars movies are like my babies :p

22. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    Well, I'll give yet a different opinion.
    I first saw Star Wars mainly because of deciding to watch, on the TV, 'that film from 1977 which is really popular', but arguably, my actual interest in Star Wars was inspired by the Prequels.
    But, I do not actually like the prequels as films [insert stereotypical reasons here]. However, the complexity of the stories, motives, how open the characters are to interpretation, and thousands of other things (even the very reasons why the Prequels are so controversial) makes them a brilliant source for discussion and argument (although that is not always intellectual argument).
    In short, for me, the Prequels are not good as films, but analysing them (and by that, I do not mean why they might be bad) proved a great source of intellectual stimulation which I did not find when I first watched just the Originals. So they are certainly worth their while for being great objects of discussion which allow one (in private conversation) to spend hours talking about Star Wars.

23. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016
    Welcome to the madhouse!

Of all the PT, which film was your favorite - that is, if you had one?

24. Havok176

Feb 6, 2016
    ROTS was my fav. But as a whole i liked watching all 3 for the story of Palpatines rise to Anakins fall.

Sith_Smuggler likes this.
  25. Sith_Smuggler

Sith_Smuggler Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2016

Yup. I love how the PT showcased not only Anakin's fall but also Palpy's rise to power. As one is falling, the other is rising and the galaxy swirls into chaos. A tragedy of epic proportions.

Huttese 101 and Mnhay27 like this.