main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Changed sequences in Attack of the Clones Blu ray.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rebel-Jedi, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    That argument gets old after awhile, tbh.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    It wasn't really an argument, and I generally thought the PT Blu-Rays were well done, especially TPM; but that Big Bang Theory episode was great.

Does anyone know why the sequence was changed in AOTC?

Adding Shmi's screams to the nightmare scene was a great idea. It actually lets us know how bad the nightmare was, as opposed to Anakin just saying "Mom Mom Mom Mom" over and over.

Changing a sequence seems nonsensical though.

3. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The fact that the audio channels weren't changed to accommodate the (new) order of the sequences leads me to believe it was a mistake. DVD and Blu-ray masters are done shot by shot, so it could happen.

That's not the case with Shmi's voice, which is clearly an intentional change. I like it, since it ties to the way Anakin has visions of Padmé and helps the audience understand that it's the same thing all over again.

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  4. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    The PT Blu-Rays aren't all that well done, except for ROTS, which is reference quality.

TPM: They DNR's all the natural film grain away (TPM is the best looking SW film shot on celluloid). This causes all the surface detail to be lost, making faces look waxy, excellently ageing CGI look less believable and on the whole, makes the film look more artificial. My local TV station randomly broadcast a 1080p of the Theatrical Cut of TPM two years ago (no idea it even existed, they usually play the DVD Cut), and it looked leaps more realistic because of the film grain and the extra detail was still there. On the upside, we finally got the full frame cinematography on the BD, not the 10% cropped version.

AOTC: A god-awful teal tint has been applied to the whole film (a common and stupid practice these days), throwing off every color in the film- the DVD and 1080p HD broadcast look far more natural. A little soft in places maybe, which the source material isn't. Dooku's escape re-edit feels rushed and jarring, was perfect before, IMO. Shmi's cries for help were a great addition.

ROTS: No complains, though I always thought the sound to score balance was better done on TPM and AOTC. Ever since my first viewing of ROTS I thought the score should have been heard more dominantly in places. It's the Theatrical Cut, with two minor changes from what I remember: added Clone voices to the surprise attack on Grievous and the roof of the Wookie Command Outpost was modified.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and FRAGWAGON like this.
  5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    And the film is now colour corrected. No more pink tint like the DVD and TV broadcasts.

Regarding the DNR, it was only heavily applied in certain shots (although ideally it shouldn't be applied at all). The film is already soft looking, so it isn't that noticeable overall. Still, the BD is an worthy upgrade and definitely the version to get.

I agree. DNR was also applied to the movie. Lightsaber and laser bolt colours are now an huge solid blob around the white core (something that doesn't happen in TPM, where the DNR was selectively applied). Personally, I can't stand the BD of AotC. Only worth having for Shmi's scream and the BD exclusive audio commentary.

6. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014

What early draft? I 'm talking about Yoda in the original trilogy.

7. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    When exactly did Yoda experience 'the horrors of war'?

He did a bit of fighting, but it didn't seem to bother him much until he ran away from Palpatine.

8. SuperSpeed

SuperSpeed Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2014
    I love TBBT.

On another note, I'm just fine with my DVD's. Darth Vader's "Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!" ruined any chance of me getting the Blu-Ray

9. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Dartht Punk Please read the pinned thread in this forum concerning double posts and the edit function. Generally, double posts are not permitted.

10. Dartht Punk

Jul 17, 2014
    I use the mute button at that point.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

He's Yoda.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sure. But that changes nothing.

13. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Yoda actively fighting in the Prequels gives all new meaning to his "Wars not make one great" line and mentality in the Original Trilogy. He underwent development from one film to the next just as every other character did.

FRAGWAGON and Seagoat like this.
  14. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

The cyan shift is in the OT remastering as well. It really sucks they can't let the natural grain and look of film alone.

Ben Burtt has a tendency nowadays to put the music of the back channels in favor of sound effects. He did it for the DVD of Star Wars, during the Battle of Yavin.

15. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Wow, haha, I had no idea there were fans like this honestly. In the theater, at the midnight show and many other shows (I saw the film 54 times in theaters, after all...), everyone always cheered that scene. People LOVED it! I loved it. It makes perfect sense Yoda would be an awesome fighter. Why wouldn't he be?!

Billy_Dee_Binks and FRAGWAGON like this.
  16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps it's time for an Unaltered Prequel Trilogy release.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Some guy in the theater with me said "Go go Kermit go!"

I never gave much thought to the scene until this thread.

Bowen and Seagoat like this.
  18. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, you're talking about a behind the scenes story conference (which holds the same value as an early draft when compared to the final product.

There's nothing in the movies that state Yoda is 'above using weapons' and those are the facts.

Seagoat likes this.
  19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yeah, Yoda having this bigger than the lightsaber mystique was something that got lost during the Prequels, but people also forget that he was involved during this time and that he was well aware of Vader and his Emperor. He wasn't just some mystical creature who lived on some mud ball planet so he can teach Jedi in private. No, he was someone important and did the one thing that would save his kind, which was to go into exile.

bstnsx704 and FRAGWAGON like this.