main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Changes to the Games Forum

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jp-30, Mar 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The first, if you hadn't noticed is that I'm now the Mod for this place. I will be working closely with our previous Mod, PreacherBoy, who now works on the theforce.net/games/ section.

Part 1. Stamping out general redundancy.

The biggest problem to the smooth running of this forum has been rudeness. Rudeness often brought on by other's ignorance of the way this forum works.

Older members, myself included, have been known to get annoyed at people popping in and starting up new threads for topics that already have well established discussion.

And in many cases the reaction of the older members (eg. yelling, "REDUNDANT!!!" and "Go Find an existing thread") just compounds the problem because the newer people are immediately on the defensive and their first impression of the Games Forum is a bad one.

So, firstly, I'm going to be vigilant with the "Lock Thread" button. If something is redundant, it will be locked, but only after a nice explanation and a link to the appropriate thread. While others here can't lock topics, they can assist in the smooth running of this forum by providing links and a friendly explanation of how things work around here - especially to those who are visiting here for the first time. I will duely lock those topics upon my next login on occasions such as this.

This forum is about to be inundated with new gamers. Not just because of Jedi Outcast, Bounty Hunter, Galaxies etc, but because of all the hoo-ha surrounding the release of Attack of the Clones (movie, not GBA title).

The goal is to have a thriving gaming community built around this forum and PreacherBoy's section.

Part 2. "Official" style threads.

As we've seen with the recent activity regarding Jedi Starfighter, there are a lot of threads that start up upon the release of a new Lucasarts title. I would like to have the most commonly asked questions in their own threads.

Let's take Jedi Outcast as the obvious example.

The current thread by Indy3 "Jedi Knight 2!!!!!!!!!!!", which has been used for discussion since the games announcement at last year's E3, will be renamed (with the thread starter's permission) to something a little more standardised, such as Jedi Outcast: General Discussion. This will happen just prior to release. At the same time I will start several other threads to take care of the 3 most common questions.

Jedi Outcast: Technical Questions - Will this game run on my system? The game freezes on startup. Help! etc.

Jedi Outcast: Hints, Tips, Strategies, Walkthroughs (no cheats allowed)
    Discussion of gameplay issues, how to beat levels, secrets etc. Come here to show off what you've found, or to ask questions if you're stuck.

Jedi Outcast: Cheats, Codes, Hacks
    A place for those who cannot surive on their skills alone.

There will also be the editing thread, of course.

Anything falling outside of the boundaries of those topics can happily be discussed in a new thread. Those main 3 or 4 threads will be set up to help alleviate redundancy, but they're certainly not the ONLY place Jedi Outcast can be discussed.

Right - that's what I will be doing in the short term! Any questions, suggestions etc? Bring 'em on...

2. PreacherBoy

PreacherBoy Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 3, 1998
    Yeah. Stupid people. How will our stance be on people like this?

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Sounds good to me. I was actually going to ask you this over ICQ, but you cleared it up nicely.

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    How will our stance be on people like this?

There won't need to be a stance, as such. What happened in that thread is a perfect example of what I'm discussing above.

I wasn't on line when the thread was started. A somewhat inflammatory way to start a discussion too. Instead of rising to take the bait, Jedi-Corleone politely directed FunkMst3k to the appropriate thread. Considering FunkMst3k never bothered to actually take that advice and post in the existing thread leads me to believe he managed to get what he wanted off his chest, and wasn't too interested in follow up discussion anyway. Or perhaps the posts below Jedi-Corleone were enough to satisfy FunkMst3k.

At any rate, along I came upon logging in and locked it up.

5. Victoria

Victoria Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    That's right. Your I said your mama!

6. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    BAN HIM BANE HIM!

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Duely noted. [face_plain]

8. Victoria

Victoria Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 11, 2000
    That was supposed to be in my signature, sorry. Games are good. Good with the games. Go.

*pat on the back*

9. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    hmmm, this is not what i thought it would be like at all, where is all the highbrow comedy and poetry discussion you promised?

10. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Victoria... so mysterious and stealthy. My hero.

11. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Once I have this riff-raff under my thumb, I will start posting my poetry and screencaps of the interpretive dance routines we worked on. "Grim Fandango on Ice" should be a winner, Humble extra.

12. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Look. A female has gotten lost and wandered into the Games Forum!

// panics //

13. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    JP, please re-state the non-star wars game rule so we are all on the same page, please.

Victoria, what's your stance on BLUE milk?

14. DUM4

DUM4 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 23, 2000
    "I wasn't on line when the thread was started."

Obviously PB forgot to tell you that as an admin, you must be online monitoring the boards 24/7. Especially since you are pretty much the only admin for the Games section.

15. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Victoria's gone, I think. :( I'm sure she highly approves of it though.

16. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    DUM, you stole my icon, you bastard!

17. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Non-Star Wars games are absolutely permitted, and welcomed. The thing these discussions will provide is a lot of education, not mass ignorance.

I'm sure jp-30 feels the same way. If he doesn't, he's fired.

18. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This forum is housed on a Star Wars website. By default we enjoy playing most Star Wars games, because it's a love for Star Wars that brought us here in the first place.

While Star Wars games will be the main focus of this forum, this forum is not for exclusive disussion of Star Wars games.

It is perfectly OK to discuss any non-Star Wars electronic / computer games here.

19. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Good recovery.

20. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Excellent, jp. I'd like to know your stance on Internet_Drama.

21. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    Like me, he's one of the few Admins that likes him. If he doesn't, he's fired.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    This forum is housed on a Star Wars website. By default we enjoy Star Wars usernames the most, because it's a love for Star Wars that brought us here in the first place.

While Star Wars usernames will be the main posters in this forum, this forum is not for exclusive disussion by Star Wars usernamed posters.

It is perfectly OK for "Internet_Drama" to post here. Except if he's mocking me.

23. PreacherBoy

Aug 3, 1998
    I think it is fun to post like a retard.

I think so too.

Everyone should do it.

24. jp-42

jp-42 Jedi Youngling

Mar 23, 2002
    jp, what's your stance on socks that mock moderators?

25. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Instant bannage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.