main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Changes to the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kran Starborn, Jul 28, 2013.

1. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

[face_laugh]

2. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    So, Han is so badass with poor weak Greedo....but wouldn't step on Jabba's tail?

Now who is destroying Han's credibility as the cool guy?

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Why would Jabba tolerate Han doing it? Han is in trouble with Jabba as is isn't he? Best smuggler sure but that would seem pretty disrespectful to Jabba. Han is crazy alright. Wouldn't be him if he didn't but I just can't see Jabba letting it go. Maybe he likes bravery but that scene just seems off to me.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Han Solo trilogy book Rebel Dawn (written shortly after the Special Edition of ANH first came out) the author showed Han as very well liked by Jabba - to the point that when Han complains about the lack of a chair in the room, Jabba invites Han to sit down on him.

EU of course - but the notion that Jabba will put up with stuff from Han he simply won't tolerate from anyone else, might make that scene a little better.

Out of universe, I think the reason was that they'd used an ordinary actor - so they had to have Han walk around Jabba, hence they had to modify the walking-around-scene, and they thought the simplest modification was to have Han step on Jabba as he walks around, instead of cutting away and then cutting back.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah a cut would have been so much harder...

Ganger likes this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    More that it would have broken the momentum.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    I just think it's funny.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Jabba tolerates it because he likes Han. The fact that ILM could have easily added an annoyed look to Jabba, since they gave him a surprised look, indicates that Jabba could tolerate Han's actions.

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't think it is in Jabba's character to take this type of insult, let alone publicly.

He is a mob boss. He can't have some scumbag walk over him like he is a weakling.

TK327 and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    I'm sure Lucas didn't give the Jabba scene much thought in 1976. He probably had ideas of the character being a repulsive mob type alien and everything, but it's hard for me to believe he shot that scene with much vision as to how he would modify it later. Hell, to get a sequel made was already a long shot at that point, and judging by the problematic shoot (sandstorms, technical difficulties, delays in SFX, etc.), I'm sure he compromised for money and logistics and quickly shot the scene in an existing set with an actor and that's it. The only thought he must've given to the whole thing is "I'm probably going to cut this scene anyway".

Sure there were intentions on using state of the art technology to "correct" this scene in the 80s for a re-release but that was after the film became succesful.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

Well, that's the thing. Figuratively, Jabba doesn't which is why he puts the bounty on Han's head. Literally, that's a different matter.

12. Spartan Kobe

Spartan Kobe Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 7, 2014
    HAN SHOT FIRST!

13. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

They did add an annoyed look to Jabba. In fact, Jabba looks very angry when Han does it and starts to clench his fist as if he wants to punch him, but then he quickly relaxes as Han starts talking about paying Jabba back plus extra. We're all talking about the 2004 version, right? The 1997 version looked pretty bad in general, and Jabba's reaction to having his tail stepped on wasn't very believable. The DVD updates were a massive improvement.

edit: Addressing the earlier discussion: To my eye, 2004 Jabba seems to have the same size and proportions as RotJ Jabba. Any differences between the two in that regard (if they exist) must be negligible.

14. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As someone who loves the restored Jabba scene, I can say that he appears significantly darker in ANH than in ROTJ. A good part of his skin (mostly his sides and back) is a dark brown in ANH, where it's a darker green tone in ROTJ

Andy Wylde likes this.
  15. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

[​IMG]

Looks dark green to me? If anything, he's brighter than he is in RotJ, because there's a light patch extending down his belly that I don't think is there in RotJ.

But most of it comes down to different lighting conditions, I think.

16. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    The 2004 changes to the 1997 changes are indeed improvements (and in the case of Jabba, a significant improvement). I still think the coloring is a bit off, though. The model, as far as I know, is the TPM Jabba but with what appears to be more of a darkened look. I think the 2004 Jabba almost looks a bit too detailed compared to ROTJ Jabba. And again, a bit too dark. But, I'll certainly take that over what they did for the 1997 SE. The biggest thing that bugs me about the scene is his voice. They did a decent job of it for TPM, so I can't help but wonder why they didn't change it for ANH in 2004.

17. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Yeah, looking at a bit closer, I'd agree that the coloring is off. Before I thought it was because of the dimmer lighting in the hangar, but really it looks like his belly and face just aren't orange enough. Same goes for his eyes. Odd decisions. I still think the greenish parts of his body are fine, though.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  18. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    He does look different, but the dock is open to the sky, whereas the Palace is windowless. The only other reference left is the Sail Barge, which in spite of the blinds is fairly well dimmed.

Harrison looks fatter and his hair is poofier in Jedi. It's never been a great leap for my imagination to picture a slightly different Jabba.

19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I'd actually speed up the ANH duel or have Vader straight up execute Obi-Wan within seconds. Also, scrap Obi-Wan's appearance in RoTJ; Yoda can explain the history of Jedi Knight Anakin Skywalker to Luke. Was never too keen on these Force ghost scenes.

20. skygawker

skygawker Jedi Knight star 3

May 25, 2014

Well, if we're talking about changes we'd make to the originals...I'd edit back in the female Rebel pilots who were cut from RotJ. And I'd re-dub the dialogue of the one female pilot who did make it into the movie with a woman's voice rather than the male one that was dubbed during post-production.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  21. Bring_My_Shuttle

Bring_My_Shuttle Jedi Master star 1

Oct 22, 2006
    Jabba puppet to cgi comparison. Another failure...

[​IMG]

Sarge, Force Smuggler and vinsanity like this.
  22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not really a failure. The puppet Jabba is made out of latex and rubber, and used paint that existed in 1982-83. CGI Jabba was designed to emulate the reptilian like skin that the Hutts have and the colors in the 04 DVD were based on what can be done on a computer.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  23. FRAGWAGON

Nov 3, 2012
    Eh, the lighting was different. One's in a dank den of leisure, the other was an open docking bay. I just can't get myself upset over the color being slightly different.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  24. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

The one on the left looks more "solid," it's true. But it's clearly a puppet made of rubber. And it can't move like the CGI Jabba can. There are tradeoffs for both techniques. You've just chosen to ignore the ones that exist for practical effects while exaggerating the ones that exist for digital effects.

25. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    And therein lies the guts of this discussion. Often times it's not a chosen exaggeration, but rather a case of the flaws which catch a particular eye in the most exaggerated way. The effects that the eye doesn't notice tend to be the ones which are seen as superior. For me, 'solidity' will always trump movement, but for others it's the reverse.

Sarge likes this.