main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Changes to the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kran Starborn, Jul 28, 2013.

1. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    The only change I can really think of is to put the new song playing in the background of the old scene at Jabba's Palace. Other than that there's not much I'd do to revert or even further change.

2. Number_5

Number_5 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 25, 2013
    Biggs.

Windows in Cloud City.

That's it!

Anything else is either unnecessary and self-indulgent bloat, nonsensical backwards PT tie-in, or a flatout insult and slap in the face to the months and long hours of grueling hard miracle work carried out by ILM and the crew to make Star Wars (and the whole OT) look and feel amazing.

I am hoping and praying for an unaltered OT Blu Ray release. Someday.

3. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Agreed. Though it's interesting to watch this Wampa rebel base attack deleted scene on the Blu-ray set, it's very poorly done & would have definitely marred an otherwise perfect film; not only were the effects/Wampas sub-par, but this plotline is unecessarily distracting from the REAL threat the Rebels have to deal with, i.e. the Empire's invasion of Hoth & the Rebel base...

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    About the only plus change for me is that now we *know* Biggs and Luke know each other due to the brief bit but Hagan really got shafted and most everything else just feels out of place. The new effects jar with the story and it's timing.

Anything else is either unnecessary and self-indulgent bloat, nonsensical backwards PT tie-in, or a flatout insult and slap in the face to the months and long hours of grueling hard miracle work carried out by ILM and the crew to make Star Wars (and the whole OT) look and feel amazing.

I am hoping and praying for an unaltered OT

This. =D=

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It was necessary. Boba is a clone and in fiction sound like the original host.

The celebration was needed as Lucas wanted to show that everyone was celebrating the end of the war. Stemmed from his original ending where everyone was killed on Had Abbadon in a carpet bombing.

Why? He's entitled to his opinion.

You do know that many of the same people that worked on the OT, had come back to do the SE's? So that wasn't a slap in their face at all. Changing Palpatine, Boba and Anakin isn't a slap in their faces at all. The former needed to be changed due to a lack of consistency. The second was also for consistency and the last one, the guy didn't even know he was supposed to have a second scene.

We knew that they knew each other from Luke referring to him in the garage, while complaining to Threepio and Artoo. A scene that's been there since 77.

How?

6. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    I am with you all the way on this one. There are no changes in the OT SE that anger me except this one. The raspy Jason Wingreen voice was one of the best parts of the character. It was perfect for the Clint Eastwood Man With No Name image they were going for. For Morrison, I love the guy, but it sounded like the process of re-recording Boba's lines took a whole 2 minutes.

Fett may have been a clone, but that doesn't necessarily mean his voice would sound exactly the same as his dad's once he reached his age. You develop accents from experiences and places you go.

7. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Here's the big ones I want them to keep in the films for future releases; most others can be scrapped.

1) The overall cleaner look of the OT from the film elements being recomposited.
    2) The digital removal of matte lines, most visible in the Hoth battle and Rancor fight sequences.
    3) The corrected lightsabers in each film.
    4) The "energy ring" explosions of Alderaan and both Death Stars.
    5) Ben Kenobi's home exterior on Tattooine.
    6) The longer arrival at Mos Eisley.
    7) Jabba meets Han at Bay 94 (the Blu-Ray version rocks!)
    8) The Emperor's revamped hologram scene in "Empire" (though a more consistent one would be even better).
    9) The new John Williams score on Endor, and all the planets celebrating.
    10) The digital paintings and windows in Cloud City.
    11) Hayden appearing as Anakin's ghost (a full-costume reshoot would be better).
    12) The cosmetic alterations to Sebastian Shaw's face when his mask comes off.
    13) The Sarlacc's beak, and digital ropes anchoring Han to the skiff.
    14) The fixed laser blasts during the TIE fighter battle and Death Star trench in "A New Hope".

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    Absolutely. Not to mention so many things can happen over the years to alter your voice. Wingreen did it perfectly and made him that much more of a bada$$.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Or he used a voice modulator thingie to change his voice to something intimidating.

10. Carrie Walsh

Carrie Walsh Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 13, 2014
    I'm okay with the voice change. His voice is kind of trivial anyway in the grand scheme of things. How many lines did he have? Like two? It doesn't ruin any part of his character; he's still the same badass Boba Fett. It also just makes sense to have him have the same voice as the other clones. Continuity is important.

11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    He talks 4-5 times. Also the last time we saw him was in TCW over 20 years previous to ESB. 12-13 to his mid 30's. No change in his voice? Yeah right.

12. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    When you see Boba in Episode II, he's a little kid. By the time you see him again in Episode V, you're right, it's been over 20+ years. That would make him around the same age Jango Fett was in Episode II then, right? So naturally, they would have a similar, if not identical, sounding voice. I'm pretty sure cloning applies to vocal cords too

13. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    20 years later with entirely different experiences? I'm not buying that he will be 100% identical to Jango.
    Identical twins aren't the same so why should Boba sound like Jango later on?
    What if there was a gas attack or something?

14. Carrie Walsh

Jan 13, 2014
    Twins and clones are entirely different.

Twins have their own separate finger prints and other identifying features. Clones are 100% identical in every way.

If there had been some kind of attack that would have damaged his voice in some way, it would have been in the EU by now.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    20 years later with entirely different experiences? I'm not buying that he will be 100% identical to Jango.
    Identical twins aren't the same so why should Boba sound like Jango later on?
    What if there was a gas attack or something?[/quote]

Jango's clones all sound like Jango as shown in AOTC, TCW and ROTS. Ergo, Boba would sound the same way. A gas attack isn't going to change Boba's voice. Lucas changed it for consistency's sake and it was the right move.

If there was, Lucas wouldn't have changed it in the first place.

16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Boba Fett's original voice was sinister, threatening, and memorable. It fitted his character perfectly. That's more important to me than any alleged "continuity" issues. Changing it was a mistake.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    He isn't asking "is this guy my son?" so much as "considering I killed my pregnant wife and the baby died with her, how is it physically possible this could be my son?"

He's simply in shock because for the past 25 years or so, he was under the belief that his child(ren) died with Padme. He couldn't think straight with all the mixed emotions he had going on for him

18. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    But Palpatine's response isn't about the physical possibility or how Padme/Obi-Wan tricked them but simply telling Vader to search his feelings and he will know this to be true.

We know that Vader knows about a Skywalker and has been looking for him for some time. He is also able to feel the great disturbance in the Force. He also knows how old Luke is and that Obi-Wan was involved with him. That is more than enough for him to at least strongly suspect that this is his son. And his actions in ESB certainly seem to indicate this. And if he did consider the possibility then it is obvious that Padme lived long enough to give birth. So his question becomes a bit meaningless.
    Also that he killed his pregnant wife is something Palpatine told him. Now it seems that wasn't entirely true. So wouldn't Vader ask about that instead?

Vader is looking for a Skywalker and he uses the name in front of his officers so it didn't seem to be a secret. Also none of them ask "Who?" when Vader mentions him so it is likely they have heard of him as well.
    Did Vader have the emperors permission to take the SSD and the other ships? I can't see how he could not have. If Vader found out about a Skywalker before taking these ships, did he never talk with Palpatine about it? If he had, the possibility of Luke being his son could have come up. If he didn't then it means Vader was hiding it from Palpatine. But now he acts all surprised that there is a Skywalker that is his son. As I said, either Vader is a bit dumb for not considering the possibility or he is pulling a weak lie to Palpatine.

Before it seemed that both Palpatine and Vader knew about Luke before ESB but what had changed is that Luke was now growing much stronger in the Force and this is what prompts Palpatine to contact Vader. Now, I don't know, I don't think it needed to be changed.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    As Lucas has said once in an interview "Skywalker is a pretty common name in the galaxy- there's even a Skywalker brand of wine."

20. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He might be right about the name, but not the wine. Lucas was being tongue in check with that.

21. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Does anyone have a complete list of changes? I'd be interested to see what changes I see on my copies, and what on my older versions.

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
  23. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Ian McDiarmid added into TESB says you're wrong.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Another thing about the voice, identical twins will have the same sounding voice, but different speech patterns. Therefore, a clone would be the same way. Different types of life experiences isn't going to change your vocal chords, short of having your larynx damaged. If you spent ten years in one country and then forty in another, learning the language, your voice will be the same, but you will have an accent based on the regional dialect.

25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    On the other hand, Lucas has said or implied that the stormtroopers in the Death Star in ANH are Jango clones*, and they all have dissimilar voices to Jango.

*AOTC Directors Commentary - Lucas said that he got ILM to add Jango bumping his head on the door of Slave 1 as a reference to the stormtrooper in ANH, adding that it was a 'genetic blindspot' or similar (the implication being that they stormtroopers on the Death Star were Jango clones).

(I should point out that this is one of the changes that I have no strong feeling on either way)