main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Changes to the OT you wouldn't have noticed if not told

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by WhiskeyGold, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012

Same here, when watching the 'special edition' of Star Wars last week the change to the Krayt dragon call stood out like a sore thumb. So for me, minor dialogue changes too.

2. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

I don't think so, most are so minor as to be unnoticeable, there wouldn't have been any other reason. The "Bring my shuttle" line, however, ties into the brand-new visual additions, so that's probably a separate case.

It's also worth mentioning that they've been tweaking the audio repeatedly since 1977. Aunt Beru's voice was redubbed for the 1981 re-release, in some cases they've removed dialogue for one release, then put it back for the next ("Close the blast doors!"), others they replaced with slightly altered lines ("Blast it Biggs/Wedge, where are you?"), and apparently the 1981 re-release and beyond includes different takes of the same lines to the original 1977 release, as well as different sound effects.

10% of the medium, 90% of the problem...;)

Iron_lord likes this.
  3. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    Wow. I am really impressed by the number of people that have an eye for detail. I have to be honest, I don't ever notice anything different unless it is pointed out (even then I sometimes have to go back and see the original or a past version). Controversies spring up over changes and I'm like, whaaaa? Then I go check it out and - oh yeah. I do notice higher quality picture and sound if that counts. Oh and I did notice 1 change - although to be honest I knew about it going in, and that was the addition of Hayden Christensen - but I am pretty certain I would have noticed that on my own.

4. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014

I LOATHE that scene and Lucas for destroying the character of Jabba...when I first saw him in ROTJ I found him to be a vile disgusting ruthless gangster...now when we first see him in ANH..he seems like a goofy pushover cartoon whose tail I can step on and won't do anything...the Jabba in ROTJ is a character who would cut you into pieces if you stepped on his tail...this is the type of scene that makes me scream at the TV "George you are stupid...so,so stupid..." despite my love for him for creating SW....Thank God for my limited edition bonus disc DVD and Harmy's Despecialized editions...

5. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014

Don't be naive...he means this scene is idiotic and stupid for reasons stated above...

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Don't be naive.... I'm countering with a joke saying that the scene is helpful and interesting to see restored for the other reasons stated above....

7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I noticed many and some I like many I don't including curtailed and elongated dialogue. 2000+ tech does NOT mesh well with any of these films and is largely a detractor that destroys flow.

8. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Leave the jokes to me in here thanks :p

Seagoat likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    Heh, you really are a real world Han Solo. I dig it! :cool:

10. Darth Vader's Chest Plate

Darth Vader's Chest Plate Jedi Master star 2

Mar 18, 2013

When i first learned that they were going to be putting this scene back in i was excited to see Jabba earlier in the trilogy and to see him as more than a bed bound dictator. When the SE was released I was disappointed and had pretty much the same opinion as you have. Having watched it many times since tho, I actually now see it as Han being overly confident/cocky and perhaps Jabba grows into the being we witness in RotJ due to the events of this scene. This scene also makes me want a Jabba/canteena/Tatooine scene in ESB, to show Jabba's evolution and assigning the ever growing bounty to Han.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    This likely has been mentioned but the additional stormtroopers in the scene Hans chasing them and stumbles on a whole army. I actually just realized this change not to long ago.
    [​IMG]

It's actually change I like, makes it funnier.

12. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    There are so many that I can just list them all off the top but the major audio one is that they adjusted Vader's voice treatment in ANH so that his voice sounds like it's emanating from the mask as a mechanized cybervoice like TESB and ROTJ as opposed to the original where it's sounds as if it's simply his natural voice coming from behind the mask.

Vader was only made into a man with machine parts after the film was done anyway and by TESB he was now Luke's father so besides all the visual adjustments to make him a cyborg the new vocal treatment completed the transformation between the mask as speaker to JEJ's natural baritone getting full range.

Interesting because I thought that scene was excellent as the tail was a great add to literally get over the fact that Jabba was never going to be any creature at all but simply the human character they shot with.

Obviously you took Jabba in ROTJ very seriously for some reason while I always saw him as a comic villain. A vile disgusting ruthless gangster but still ultimately comic. If it destroys his character then I would say it wasn't that strong in the first place. The fact that Han can do that and Jabba is fine with it as long as he gets paid if anything reinforces that Jabba in his own twisted way liked Han and so that he put an alive only bounty. As Boba Fett said he was no good to him dead.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Probably a lot of the Death Star space battle in Star Wars.

14. smoothkaz

smoothkaz Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 25, 2014
    A lot of the recomposited effects I wouldn't have noticed - for example, the shot of Tantive IV being pulled into the Star Destroyer's docking bay is a recomposite. I also wouldn't have noticed little things like the extended Death Star hallway or Luke's landspeeder raised higher above the rocks in one shot. Most of them are obvious though.

This one really bugs me actually. Why is there a full hanger at the end of a random corrider?

15. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    All of them. :)

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

There isn't. He rounds a corner, and finds out that it's actually a door to a hangar.

17. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    First things that come to mind are fixing the composition of a good deal of fighters/ships

I think QRB posted some comparison images of several frames of the OOT and SE showing the more natural blending in somewhere

Interestingly enough, I love the addition of that scene. A good deal of people enjoy the suspense of not seeing this mysterious Jabba figure until ROTJ, but personally, I think his inclusion in ANH adds a hint of irony and shock. The way he comes off as so friendly with Han can be interpreted either as a ruse or as a genuine sentiment of valuing him as "an employee," which makes it all the more shocking when you next see him hung on the wall as a decoration

18. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I'm wondering why they were all just standing in that hangar in formation.

I love the guy on the left though, about four rows from the front who's just turning his head, but not his body. He just looks so confuse about everything.

Sarge likes this.
  19. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I mean, for the same reason the guys were just standing at the back of some random dead-end hallway in the original version? Who knows? I guess they were just doing stuff. Imperial stuff.