main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Changing Asajj Ventress's Species? Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by 16AndPregnant, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    I just discovered this. Why would they do this? "She shaved her head", like what the hell?

General Immodet likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  3. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Déjà vu... Its this topic again...

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I still don't see how or why her species was changed.

Maul is a Zabrak.It gets mentioned by Obi-Wan that they are normally from Iridonia, yet there is apparently a colony of them on Dathomir that is kept subservient to the Nightsisters.

He is also identified as a Dathomirian (not a species) and a Nightbrother (not a species). Yet he remains a Zabrak.

Yet for Asajj people jump at the fact that her species was changed. I don't see why you can't just do the same thing with her:

"Asajj is a Rattataki. They are normally from Rattatak. She is a Dathomirian and also a Nightsister.

Han Solo is a human, but he's also a Corellian in the same way that I am an Earthling, Michigander, or American. Yet, I'm human (Homo sapiens). Maul is a Dathomirian (from Dathomir) and a Nightbrother (clan name), but his species is Zabrak. Again, I don't see the need to change Asajj's species. You could just as easily say that Talzin's clan of Nightsisters are Rattataki that settled the planet long ago and practice ancient magic.

5. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    Yeah, I thought it would be the same as they did for Darth Maul too, but apparently her species was changed completely.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Again, according to what source?

ETA: Just looked up Dathomirian and Rattataki on Wook; the Rattaki article is listed as needing a complete rewrite, and Ventress was listed as Dathomirian.

7. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    Exactly. The dumbest thing ever.

8. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah, I was really shocked when I saw that on Wookieepedia few months ago. I really don't get it why they can't do that like @TaradosGon said.

She IS and WILL BE Rattataki for me. Man, they even created playable race in The Old Republic based on her, you can't change those things... and I hate The Clone Wars for that kind of stuff. I really enjoy watching it, but disrespect for so many things is pathetic. They don't even created her, they took her from EU and changed her story!!!

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It's not a big deal to me. She's Ventress, and even based on that "needs a rewrite" Wook article, the only difference seems to be her being born bald vs shaving her head. That's not a detail I sweat.

Mr. Atom Bomb likes this.
  10. rumblewagon

rumblewagon Force Ghost star 4

Sep 24, 2004
    To the torches and pitchforks!!!

11. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    Same with me. And I agree with it being disrespectful to the people who created her. It's a shame.

12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    TCW has its share of things that could need retcons if you interpret them a certain way but don't have to be. This is a perfect example, perfectly explained.

rumsmuggler likes this.
  13. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    False. See Maul's entry in the encyclopedia on the OS, it specifically lists his species as Dathomirian.

False. Dathomirian is a species, see Maul's entry in the encyclopedia on the OS.

This isn't how it went down in "Nightsisters".

Asajj is Dathomirian, from Dathomir, and was taken to Rattatak.

TCW did not change Ventress' species, or anyone else's. TCW is incapable of changing anything, everything it says is true, always was and always will be.

DurararaFTW, Esg, cwustudent and 2 others like this.
  14. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    You may be on to something here! I sense a new slogan at the very least!

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Which just doesn't make sense at all. Obi-Wan can't really make a statement that Maul's people are typically from Iridonia, if he's a Dathomirian. DATHOMIRians are not typically from Iridonia. And if you look at his wook page, it describes him as a "Dathomirian Zabrak" which does make sense. It cites his species as a zabrak also as being given in the Plagueis novel, which was written recently enough to account for any retcons to his species as it also incorporates mention of Talzin and Mortis. Yet, it sticks with the idea that he's a Zabrak, albeit a Dathomirian one.

16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think there was an idea for a while that "Dathomirians" were a hybrid between Zabrak and Human.

rumsmuggler and Valairy Scot like this.
  17. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Well, unless Talzin is making magic babies, that would require a male, and if all the males are Zabrak Nightbrothers and all the females are the Nightsisters, then they all must be hybrids. If "Dathomirian" is the name given to those hybrids, then fine. But they still descend from Zabrak ancestral stock in part and _______ ancestral stock (it would just be simple to say Rattataki).

Valairy Scot likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Given that there's human "Witches of Dathomir" in the books, that aren't Nightsisters, I wondered if baldness and pale skin was the unusual result of the combination, in females.

19. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Who is bald? Ventress isn't, she had hair, I think she just shaves it.
    [​IMG]
    One of the other Nightsisters in TCW was bald, but others had hair.

Arguing over differences between TCW and C-canon material is seriously folly at this point.

cwustudent likes this.
  20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    The OS saying Maul is a Dathomirian is pretty solid evidence, but he is referred to as a Zabrak in the show itself.

21. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    They did it to account for her new origin story. She's a Dathomirian, a Human-Zabrak hybrid species which has hair (on females at least) and resembles the Rattataki to some extent, which is the in-canon reason as to why she was called one before her Dathomirian origins were revealed.

I was personally impressed that they kept most of her original backstory intact, Ky Narec and all. They don't usually honor previously established EU canon that well.

QuangoFett and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That was my thought as well, that they didn't completely retcon her, just merged this story with that in the comics.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  23. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Or, you know, they didn't have to alter it at all.

16AndPregnant likes this.
  24. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    She once had lovely hair, but sold it when she needed money.

25. rumblewagon

Sep 24, 2004
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.