main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

South East Changing the Flag's?

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Master-Omaj-Kadub, Apr 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Omaj-Kadub

Master-Omaj-Kadub Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 22, 2000
    Considering I'm from Arkansas and now live in Texas. I was wondering what those of you in the mid-south think about the confederate flag being changed on so many state flags in the south?

2. elanrai

elanrai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    Wow, hot topic. Well, I think it is what it is; a flag. It states heritage and nothing more.

As far as states changing their flags, I think it is a disgrace to their history in doing so.

3. Hama

Hama Retired GSA, Retired RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2000
    Yes, but some now see the Confederate flag as a symbol of racial prejudice and bigotry. Yes, the flag shows their heritage, but I don't believe the flag necessarily needs to fly at the state capitol buildings in the South. Then again, your South RSA was born in Ohio. ;)

4. elanrai

elanrai Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    There is always going to be different views on this no matter what. I would say that they should have a vote on it, since it is their state. Majority rules.

5. Sloth

Sloth Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jul 8, 1998
    I am from South Carolina so we went through the big deal with the NAACP boycotting tourism etc... until the govt. caved and removed the flag.

I don?t really have a problem with moving the flag from the state house to a memorial grounds. I do not think this dishonors the soldiers who fought in the war in any way.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that the NAACP initiative to remove the flag originated in Washington DC, NOT South Carolina.

Once the NAACP came, fought, got their press and won they left. Leaving behind a state, which still has (percentage wise) the highest number of uneducated African Americans.

It sort of bothers me b/c the NAACP could use their leverage to actually help African Americans more but the reality is that these issues such as illiteracy do not get the front page press that confederate flag issues do.

I think it?s hypocritical really.

6. quigon70

quigon70 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 11, 2000
    i'm glad it didn't change one reson i'm mississippian

7. Master-Omaj-Kadub

Master-Omaj-Kadub Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 22, 2000
    I wonder if this is the last we will hear of this topic????

8. darthmalt16

darthmalt16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 2000
    master kadub I seriously doubt it. I think the new Ga. flag is UGLY. So does everyone else in the state (mostly). And the way it was changed guarantees that Roy Barns will NOT be reelected. I recently went on a trip to washington with our 4-H club. While there every time we met one of our senators or congressmen we asked them the "flag question". What do you think of the new Ga. flag and how it was handled? Saxby Chambliss my rep said he didn't like it or the way it was handled. One the guy from savannah area still hadn't gotten a new flag and told us flat out that he thought it was ugly and was managed totally wrong all the other reps said pretty much the same. Our Jr. Senator Zell miller (dem.) I think is who it is Dodged and didn't commit at all. And Max Cleland our sr. senator said he liked it and liked the way it was handled. As we walked out of his office were like scratch HIM off our ballot next election. And most all of us are going to vote.

9. Elan-Rai

Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 11, 2001
    darthmalt16,

Hey, I am curious. If all these reps were in agreement with you that the flag issue was handled improperly, who had say in its changing? Again, just curious.

10. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Being from Georgia, I was also unhappy with how the whole flag issue was managed. I would have preferred to have the chance to vote on the new flag. I'm not the only one. Many Georgians are upset that they did not get a chance to vote on it.

As to your question, Elan-Rai, I don't know all the details, but this is what I heard. The governor and a select few of the leadership created the new flag in secret, and then pushed the resolution to change the flag through the legislature.

Many of the legislators were afraid to vote against it. They were pretty much bullied into passing the resolution.

As I said, this is just what I heard, so I'm not sure if this is exactly how it went down. But I do remember that I, along with everyone else, was quite surprised with how quickly resolution to change the flag was pushed through the state's legislature.

11. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    I agree with ya, MB. It is really sad that they didn't allow the general public voters to vote on this. I mean, it is YOUR state, you should be allowed to keep or dismantle your flag.

You should all ban together and oust these reps when re-election comes around again. ;)

EDIT: Minacia, nice pix on the humour page. Looks like it was a TON of fun!

12. darthmalt16

Sep 25, 2000
    "As to your question, Elan-Rai, I don't know all the details, but this is what I heard. The governor and a select few of the leadership created the new flag in secret, and then pushed the resolution to change the flag through the legislature.

Many of the legislators were afraid to vote against it. They were pretty much bullied into passing the resolution."

Exactly what happend theres a billboard of our gov. around here. Ever since the flag thing it's always getting shot at and defaced there's a lot of resentment about the way it was handled.

13. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Truly sad. I wonder how many people rallied to have the flag changed? Probably around 20 or so, and the legislature thought half the state immediately supported them. I agree with whoever said it before, oust them all come re-election. :D

That'll teach 'em to make decisions like these without the state's consent. :)

Why do I have a funny feeling that the NAACP was behind this... hmmmm...

14. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    I do believe that the NAACP was threatening to stage a tourism boycott of Georgia if the state flag was not changed.

15. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    [face_laugh]

Yeah, I am sure that would hurt Georgia plenty. [face_laugh]

It is amazing how politicians get all antsy when groups such as those (that make up less than %1 of the population) threaten. ;)

16. AdmPiett

AdmPiett Jedi Youngling

Aug 8, 2001
    Master Kadub, I have no doubt that this issue will not be going away any time soon. The NAACP is talking about instituting a boycott of Mississippi since the people of that state voted by a clear two-thirds majority not to change their flag, which features the Confederate battle flag. But since the flag was adopted in 1894, they can't claim the moral high ground this time, even in their own vivid imaginations. But they still intend on going forward with the boycott. Which goes to show that the NAACP is just as intolerant as the KKK.

17. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Like I said before, let them boycott. But if politicians are politicians, they'll give into to the NAACP just like they always do.

18. Minacia_Brightstar

May 23, 2001
    If Mississippi's politicians cave in to the NAACP, then democracy is truly dead. The people voted to keep the current flag. If the flag is changed just to make the NAACP happy, then why should anyone bother to vote?

I think it is wrong for the NAACP to even seek to change what Mississippi's people have already voted for. What right do they have to circumvent the democratic process? It is within their right to try to change people's minds, but once the vote is over and done, they should leave the issue alone.

I'm not denying that the NAACP has done many good things in the past. But lately, it seems that the elite leadership of the organization is pushing their own political agenda, with no thought to the people they are supposed to be helping. There are much more important issues to be addressed than a state flag, in my opinion.

Another thing: Do you realize how much of Georgia taxpayers' money was used to change all the flags outside all the government and public buildings? That money could have been put to better use, helping those who could care less about a flag, because they have to deal with real problems that affect their everyday lives.

19. MatRags

MatRags Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2001
    The politicians who always give into the NAACP have a name.

Their called DEMOCRATS! :eek:

Oh, the horror. I'm sorry for using the D-word, but it's true.

Thank goodness Mike Huckabee running AR.

20. Elan-Rai

Jul 11, 2001
    Another point well given. It is a shame that elitist groups, such as the NAACP, have given African Americans a bad rep. The group was started to help AA's in getting fair chances. Now, it has gone way beyond help. Now, it is corporate, money-hungry elitist politicians running the show and infringing on the John D. Taxpayer. Again, shame on you NAACP. :(

21. darthmalt16

Sep 25, 2000
    The most racist group I know of is the Naacp. Led by the biggest racist of them all Jesse Jackson. (this doesn't have much to do with the topic but I think it's funny that jesse had an affair at the same time he was counseling Clinton on the monica Lewinski scandal)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.