main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Chapel Hill shooting deaths of three Muslim students

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Jabbadabbado likes this.
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Parking is a serious issue.

3. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Well, to be fair, while the killing was senseless they should have known better than to dispute parking with a white man.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Where's Juliet these days?

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    On a serious note, while it's sooooooomewhat too soon to declare religious (or, in this case, anti-religious) motives for anyone, this is a tragedy no matter what.

6. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    stupid hicks

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I agree, this is an absolute **** thing that has happened.

Said Ric Ollie at the bar.

8. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    it says one of the victims was her sis, is that something to do with isis?

9. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    No it's the Secret Intelligence Service

Darth Punk likes this.
  10. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    better call saul

Lord Vivec and Coruscant like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Basically this. Whether or not it turns out the killings were motivated by the victims' religion or just parking (?!) it is still awful.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

12. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Either way, it's senseless

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  13. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    This thread is quietly saying: Deraaaaaail meeee...

14. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    Oh wow, I read about this on at least two different websites and there was no mention of a parking dispute. I thought the shooter had like, broken into their house or something.

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I'm confused; the man turns himself in in "Pittsboro". Which is the phonetic spelling of the correct spelling of Pittsburgh. But in NC, not PA. What. Do you really have what is basically a child's spelling as the name of an actual place? [face_laugh] [face_flag]

This is pretty barbaric though. On the one hand you have this shooting; on the other, two friends arrested for allegedly plotting to attack someone with a knife or machete in the name of IS.

I don't know much or anything of the demographics of Chapel Hill, but Fairfield - in the story I linked - is a working class neighbourhood in Sydney's West.

I'm not suggesting an all out war, but I think it's pretty plain to see there's enormous tension and resentment at the friction these two worlds generate. At the core? Whether a non-existent fart in the heavens, a capricious and evil entity named God, really had a son called Jebus or whether he revealed himself to an illiterate named Mohammed. Imagine if fans hurt each other over the old vs new EU in Star Wars (and didn't just smash and burn their collections, lol) - it's the same thing. A stupid conflict predicated on the apparent deeds of an entity that never existed.

By all means, let's dislike, hate, fear, and plot to harm people for their deviant beliefs in the wrong parts of the mythical god's backstory.

Darth Tunes and DT421 like this.
  16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Not hardly. Wrong part of North Carolina for that.

I do know the demographics of Chapel Hill. It's a very liberal town. The urban areas of North Carolina are fairly liberal (hence my comment to Punk), and Chapel Hill would be the most left-wing of all, with Asheville being close.

It's also a college town, its economic and social structures revolving almost entirely around the university, and my initial reaction to all the stories I've read on this--ongoing parking dispute at a condo complex near campus--was "grumpy middle-aged dude who hates college kids."

Of course if you hate college kids and you live in Chapel Hill, you're a dumb***, especially with Raleigh and Durham close enough to make a commute to a job in RTP just as easy. But I don't know where the guy worked.

I would guess that that's where it started, and his anti-theism may have played into it and he may have gone after their faith on top of other things. The father of the two sisters wants it investigated as a hate crime because the man had been harassing them but I don't know that he had said anything specifically anti-Muslim.

Regardless, it's a sick situation.

17. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    i was just being a smartarse, punning the shooter's name (craig stephen hicks)

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't even pay attention to his name. Oops.

Darth Punk likes this.
  19. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    The guy was a complete menace to his neighbors. Yet he was a college student himself becoming a paralegal. The teacher said he helped out a lot of people. But he was a stickler for parking and noise and rather rude about it. He was your resident Jerk on the block but not the criminal kind. Worse part is the guy liked the movie Falling Down. He didn't just like it, he thought it was hilarious according to his exwife who divorced him 17 years ago. That's the kind of thing that can scare you.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "...not the criminal kind."

Really?

21. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008

In other words, white?

22. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    No, he may have been a jerk but he wasn't a thief, a criminal, or a serial harasser. He was within his rights to have people's cars towed for parking. Plus he got confrontational about it. But he didn't spray paint someone's car or key it cause they parked in his spot. He was jerk but not a criminal one.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    As much as people can say about what's wrong with North Carolina, murder is still illegal here.

So yes, he's a criminal.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
  25. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    No, he just shot them in the head. Totally not criminal behavior.