main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Chapel Hill shooting deaths of three Muslim students

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The way Christians observe Lent is similar to how Muslims observe Ramadan, so it's not a terribly big stretch. But it's nice to see the Abrahamics unite under their silly traditions, I guess.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

We'll see. It'll be interesting to see if Christians observe Ramadan, come June.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I gave up Christianity for Lent several years ago and haven't looked back.

4. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    jews for jesus

5. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was eleven when I left religion behind... so, thirty years, now (holy ****).

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    see i find it hard to draw a line like that because its not like i got baptised into atheism or anything. it was more of a gradual process or, perhaps even moreso, a failure of religion to take hold

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Fun fact: those guys (or a variation of an African-American "Thirteenth Tribe" like group) were a main-stay in Times Square for... probably decades. Most of my childhood that I can remember at least for sure. When Times Square got "cleaned up" those were one of the groups to get swept out.

I miss them. :(

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

For me, I think it was a line. I decided that I wasn't into it anymore, and was finished. I told my grandmother, who had me in all the catholic classes, through confirmation, about my decision, and she supported it. I was pretty into it for a few years before that decision, though.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've never made any sort of announcement to my family. My parents are avid churchgoers, they know I haven't been in years, and they've never said anything about it. Somebody always prays at big family get-togethers, I play along, so maybe it's a matter of us all being good about respecting each other's space.

10. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    mrs punk's side of the family are muslim, and her parents are quite devout, so i've experienced a fair few eids around the in-laws. ramadan is a much more communal affair than lent. with lent, you define something you're going to go without, and get on with it, on your own, for 40 days. with ramadan, mrs punk's folks and their friends would take turns to hold nightly feasts after sundown. each night a different family would host, and there would be a great sense of, camaraderie/fellowship. and then at the end of eid al-fitr, everyone got presents (even the white boy).

11. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah, the sunset feasts - made quite difficult in Australia because we've late sunsets at that time of year - seem like a remarkable affair.

I've given up God for Lent, as I do every day year.

12. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I was a child when I made my decision, though, so the announcement was kind of necessary. I spent weekends with my grandma, and she took me to church with her. When I made the announcement, like I said, she was pretty respectful. So I just stopped going with her... wasn't a big deal. Neither of my parents are religious, at all, so I didn't need to tell them anything.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm still not sure what the term means, religious. It's not label I would want. I love the teachings of Jesus, Buddha, Krishna ect but not as part of an organization or set of rules and morals. I just saw it all as a path to enlightenment. a finger pointing to the moon. I think it's somewhat true anything can be turned into a religion. I mean if Zen can be, anything can. They all seem to miss the point for the most part. Modern day Zen is as confusing as any church ...it's really hard to make sense of any of it. It's archaic when organized but I'm not sure if it's a bad thing.
    I can't buy into arguments it has been the cause of any bloodshed or war. Or that the past would have been any less bloody without it. And if there are a percentage who actually need it to behave as decent humans then I say keep it. Taking it away would be like taking AA away from drunks or taking away shrinks.
    Besides there is all the good. There are thousands of nuns feeding and clothing people every day. I do see many many Christians doing very good things and who are always giving but these things don't make the news. They are all over Africa, India, Asian countries feeding kids, rescuing them from the sex slave industry. The amount of good they do is endless and for the most part unseen. Things I'm not doing. I just can't bring myself to bash something like that because there are a percentage of nut's, hypocrites and screw ups in any group. I bet the percentage of a holes is the exact same in all groups.
    Sure it would be nice if the planet evolved beyond religion altogether but we haven't reached that stage yet. not even close.
    Let's face it the majority of people whether atheist or religious whatever those terms mean are obsessed with the material and plastic junk. We spend billions over Christmas while the other half of the world starves. We do this every day with consumerism and I can't see that as very evolved. The next stage is then blame someone else for the worlds problems.
    When this ends and the game of black vs white, Us vs Them ends we might start getting somewhere.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  14. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Abrahamic brothers gotta hate. Thank your YHVH. Joseph Campbell once said 'I don't have to have faith, I have experience'. People need to step outside their current experiences *PRIVILAGES* and take the time to immerse themselves in the things they don't understand. Especially for any of you that have children, teach them to LISTEN to people outside of their faith and race instead of telling them how they are right/wrong or whatever BS. ya'll

harpua likes this.
  15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
  17. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Well, it's vacuous, superficial, and papers over the issues with a veneer of profound insight so of course you like it.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  18. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Well said. =D=

19. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    I wonder if I can sue the parents in that horrendous clip for child abuse.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Then I should be liking you, no?

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    No, you should do some research first. It's not that your approach is overly simplistic, by assuming a good side/bad side to the argument. It's just... wait, no. That's exactly what it is.

Let's try more guidance, stopping short of spoon feeding:

Muslims and Europeans both validly feel a challenge to their established identity is occurring in Europe right now. Both are correct, and both have valid reasons for this.

What are those reasons and what makes them correct?

22. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I personally don't see where it's justified to equivocate between feeling threatened because openly hostile groups are passing legislation that makes it literally illegal for you to practice your preferred lifestyle, and feeling threatened merely because other people who choose not to emulate you. Come on.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

You could have just said you have no insight into how Europeans feel. Would have used less words.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Feelings are perfectly fine. But your argument has no credibility if you're going to argue that having the force of a nation-state behind you to antagonize the other side is no different than not having such advantages. That's just a patently stupid claim. Both sides having grievances is definitively not the same as both sides being on equal footing.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I didn't say that though. Shall I quote myself, for the avoidance of doubt?