main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Chapel Hill shooting deaths of three Muslim students

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Vivec, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    GenAntilles isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Had you let us know that you were responding to him, upfront, this whole discussion would have been a lot shorter.

2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    From how I read it ES agreed that they should apologise...

3. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Dude, stop quoting my posts and pulling me back into this thread.

4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    I'll have you know the words of my family are our blades are sharp.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  5. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Okay.

;)

Darth Punk likes this.
  6. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
    I kept waiting for someone here to apologize for something, anything

7. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Haha purposefully being thick now. I will give you more credit but explain anyways. I think we can agree on what atheism is no? It encompasses quiet a varied tapestry of differening ideolgies within it. Just like how being a theist is a relatively simple concept but encompasses a myriad of different beliefs, ideology etc. Specific definition, broad application.

8. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This semantics discussion is so yesterday.

[​IMG]

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. jahyeshua

jahyeshua Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2015
    I'm sorry for being the meatball that bumped it.

10. sizziano

sizziano Jedi Master star 2

Nov 16, 2014
    Ah yes. I'm sorry this discussion is beneath you. I bet you had a fantastic counter argument. Cheers.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The thing is your making a "point" everyone already understood and was entirely irrelevant. We know there are different types of people all under the umbrella category of atheists. A specific subgroup was specified from the outset of the discussion, and every single person in this thread has been able to grasp that point but you. There's nothing else to say.

harpua and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Let me just say this; Wocky and I strongly disagree on the best approach here. I feel it's critical for groups to, in the interest of harmony and moving beyond short-termist hatred, denounce radicals of the same apparent persuasion. Wocky feels that's not right, and that by inspiring others to be better than the act more good will come of it. Yet I wholeheartedly agree with him on the above. This is an exercise in sophistic idiocy, the likes of which I've not seen in some time.

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    You're all wrong, the answer is potato

14. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    A letter in my newspaper from four muslims tried to answer the question why it's hard for them to apologize for the actions of radical muslims. In essence, they are offended if people ask that of them. They say they understand and share the fear. But to ask them to apologize is an inversion of the burden of proof; it presupposes that regular muslims are not against violence but that they have to prove that they are.
    "As if Jews are asked to apologize for some of Israel's actions. As if Catholics are asked to apologize for the child abuse in its church. Apparantly we have to prove our innocence; don't you understand how hurtful this is? We need support and understanding to combat this virus in our midst. Instead we get distrust. By putting muslims on trial beforehand you don't solve the problem of radicalization; you feed it."

Naturally, I disagree. Because what these people fail to understand is that they are not understood.

15. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    As an agnostic I denounce the behavior of the anti-theist in Chapel Hill.

OK, I'm not an anti-theist, other people can be religious if it suits them, I don't care, just leave me out of it. So...do I now no longer have a responsibility to denounce this man's behavior?

Or can I just denounce it because we're all human beings and should be denouncing this behavior no matter what group the perpetrator belongs to?

I understand what the Muslims quoted in the newspaper are saying. I'm not big on the idea of categorizing people into groups and assuming that everyone in the group is responsible for the behavior of other people in the group.

Not all Muslims are terrorists. Not all Christians bomb abortion clinics. Not all Jews are radical zionists with the inherent behavior that goes along with that. And not all anti-theists shoot religious kids in parking lots.

If individuals could be seen as individuals as opposed to part of a group or subgroup, none of this would need to be said.

16. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's almost as if... the popular response is that we go to blaming an ideology, and if we can frame the narrative away from that...

nah

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
  18. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    The majority uptake seems to be Muslim Americans. Interesting.

20. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Well, the Chapel Hill murders did happen here, so...

21. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Yes, but as we've said, the American experience with respect of Muslims and the non-Muslim community appears markedly different to the rest of the West. Whilst I understand Muslims are subject to unpardonable levels of discrimination in the US, such as hate crimes, the general tension is absent when contrasted with Europe. The gesture is meaningful, but would be more meaningful were it happening in Britain, France, Denmark, Holland, Germany etc.

EDIT: and not being a Twit, I can't verify if there's more examples on Twitter itself. Cursory Google search isn't saying much that can be useful.

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I see a lot of Muslims commenting from outside the US, such as those saying "these are probably Muslims who celebrate Christmas too" or "I don't see why it's necessary in order to show solidarity".

It's reaffirming my suspicion.

24. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Keep reading.

Anyway... it's a nice gesture, I guess. No, it doesn't really solve anything, but it is a nice gesture.

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Oh, don't get me wrong, it definitely is good to see less idiocy between the Islamic and Christian worlds. But it doesn't really address the issues underpinning poor relations between the two cultural spheres and will not dissuade a young person struggling with identity politics from finding a sense of self among radicals.

I don't dismiss it entirely, but I wonder if it'll simply widen the divide it intends to heal?