main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Character Debate Forum

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Aunecah_Skywalker, Mar 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    I wanted to see a forum that is dedicated entirely to debating the main (and side) characters of the EU - Mara, Han, Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, etc. The EU Community is dedicated to fan clubs and people might get ticked off if I go into a fan club and say that I don't like that character. On the other hand, hater communities are consolidated into a single Hater community and people started complaining that the Mara dislikers/haters were monopolizing it in the days past. (Not that I really blame them. :))

I know the Literature forum is open to all kinds of discussions, but I was just wondering if it was possible to get a forum that was solely dedicated to debating the characters. (Posts like "She's cool" or "She sucks" are not allowed, of course. The idea of the forum is debate.)

For my part, I know that I always don't agree with what Leia or Luke does, even though I like both characters. Same for Jaina, Jacen, and (before he died) Anakin. Throw in Qui-Gon, Anakin, Amidala, and the rest too.

I really am not sure if this will be successful or not, but I, for one, would love to see it.

:)

Aunecah

2. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Can we not have a simple [insert character's name here] discussion thread?

3. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    "Can we not have a simple [insert character's name here] discussion thread?"

That makes sense to me, but since I have only visited the EU forums once or twice, I'm not sure how things work over there.

4. GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE

GRANDADMIRALAXLROSE Jedi Knight star 7

May 8, 2002
    You can start on in the euc, there have been some discussions, just stop in and post.

axl.

5. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    I agree I think EUC would be the best place for character debates.

J_J

6. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *agrees with J_J* ;)

7. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Force Ghost star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    *agrees with Master and Template* :p

I mean the EUC is already there, right? We can bash / praise characters to our hearts' content without the forum already. *shrugs noncommitedly*

8. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    We already have several forums to talk about the characters. Since you frequently visit fanfic, Aunecah, you could probably start a thread up in the WR about whatever character you wish, how to write them, mischaracterisation, actions, etc.

I'm sure that would work :).

Am [face_love]

9. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    I frequently visit the EUC, but I like I said, it isn't exactly the greatest place for debates. I'm not pointing fingers, and I completely understand why it happens, but, for example, every debate thread with Mara Jade goes completely out of hand with MJ Fans saying PPOR every other post and MJ Dislikers/Haters getting frustrated and posting something equally unrequitable.

After the close down of MJHC and then the MJ Debate thread, I feel kind of awkward to go in there once again and ask for a MJ debate thread. On the other hand, if you look in the first page, most of the threads in there are either fan clubs or the social threat. If I ever go to the EU, I usually do it because I feel like looking into a fan club. I rarely ever think of it as a place for debate (that's the Senate ;)).

There is also another thread called the Official EU Debate Thread, but the problem with that is the character is debated for a week or two or three and then switched around. And since it's only one thread, it usually is down in page 2 before you can say "what?"

This isn't simply about MJ either. Like I said, I also happen to disagree with a lot of actions of Han, Luke, Leia, Anakin, Amidala, etc., even though I like them all (well, maybe not Anakin ....) I just thought it might be good if there was a Character Debate forum where anti- and pro-characters (excuse my poor wording here) users could argue about the merits of them. Is the atmosphere going to be like in a graveyard? Possibly. But the Senate is working well, and I'll be optimistic in thinking that this might work well as well.

On the other hand, I completely understand if this isn't such a hot idea. If so then please lock this thread. :)

EDIT: vader_incarnate : We can bash / praise characters to our hearts' content without the forum already.

Unfortunately we can't, which is where this whole idea spawned from in the first place. ;)

:)

EDIT 2: Nothing to see here. Move along.

Aunecah

10. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Why not debate the characters in the forums appropriate to the characters? EU characters in Lit, movie characters in the movie forums, so on... For example, there is a Jar-Jar discussion thread in TPM and a Tarkin thread in CT. Seems perfectly good places for them to me.

11. Aunecah_Skywalker

Mar 25, 2002
    I know we can do that, but I just thought it might be interesting if all the characters' debate threads were in one place, hopefully as sticky-threads posted by Moderators, there for viewing. (As a parallel here, it would have been entirely all right for the EU novel reviews to be in the EUC or Literature forums, but they have an entirely different thread for their own. Same goes for the authors.)

Still, I don't know if there are actually people who want to debate the characters other than me. So I understand if people don't want to create a new forum. I'm simply stating why I think it would be a good idea to create one. :)

Aunecah

12. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Currently you can discuss the characters like that in Lit. There are a few that are already there. But taking them out and into a new forum isn't totally necessary as the debates don't last for a long time. They start up, and go on for a while, then sit there and sink for a while. A little while later they are brought up and stay up for a couple of days before sinking again, with the cycle repeating. There isn't such a great need, along with the fact of determining what would be re-directed to there since a large number of threads that exist in Lit are character discussions, although they only look at one specific example/instance, and not the character in total as the main focus.

13. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    I'm not familiar with the EU forums, and have barely been there enough to know that they even exist, but like all forum requests, it's a slim chance this will happen, but i dunno. ;)

14. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I enjoy the EU, but I don't think a new forum is needed. As many have said, there is certainly room to discuss/debate (however you want to word it) a specific character in them. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.