main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Character pics

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Lone_Padawan, Aug 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lone_Padawan

Lone_Padawan Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 2001
    Lenar

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/Lenar.jpg]

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/lenar20000.JPG]

Arnor

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/Arnor.jpg]

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/Arnor20000.JPG]

(That's not his actual hilt but a training saber- I'm working on his hilt now.)

2. Jrr_Dude

Jrr_Dude Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    Its to dark to see much

3. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Impressive...most impressive.

4. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Not bad, although a couple of the people could use some more antialiasing.

You're using Blender, right?

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    They're coming along nicely, is this still Blender work? Are they rigged and ready to animate, or is that stage 2/3 :)

One thing I would do is stop using that sabre test shot of you in the house against the brick wall. Your sabres look a lot better in this picture than they do against that (variable light) living room shot.

6. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    Clothes and props modelled in blender- actual human figures done in poser 3.

What do you think of the chars themselves- as characters.

7. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    the characters look pretty good, but like eagle i say you up the anti-aliasing

8. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
  9. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Lone ...
    Pardon my ignorance for not knowing the answer, but are these characters going to be part of a FanFilm you are making? Or are you honing up on your computer-game character creation skills?

Just curious. :D

Just

10. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    So your saying they look like video game characters :( oh dear.

11. kowikan_monkey

kowikan_monkey Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 2, 2001
    They look a little like computer game characters, but on the plus side if u ever WANT to make a game, you will have a couple of characters

12. CarlCampbell

CarlCampbell Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 28, 2002
    What makes them look like game CINEMATIC characters is their lack of realistic texture. For now their textures are pretty much procedural. They don't look like in-game characters but would certainly be suitable for a cinematic of some sort ;) With some more work on the lighting and textures, they could look like virtual actors even!

Carl

13. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    So what is the reason they look like computer game characters?

14. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    I say they look Poser to much. Poser is usefull for background characters, or for references, but poser's figure are all the same, you can reconize them to easily. if those are just virtual stun men, no problem, but if they are the main characters for a cg movie, I think poser's dummies are not enough. Poser guys lack of emotion, and are not the result of a real personnal work. If you want your main characters to really look the way you feel them, you have to model them by yourself. That's just an advise. I made this mistake to mch, thinking poser was very usefull, actually, I think it's more a sophisticate toy

15. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    Poser is all I have. And if you know how to use it correctly it is very powerful. This is a freeware film. And I am working on more realistic textures now.

16. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Oh man ... I didn't mean to give anyone a complex. :(

I was only curious as to the characters' purpose.
    Me and my big mouth. :_|

JediTAC
    Self-Proclaimed Destroyer of Hopes and Dreams.

17. Loveless

Loveless Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2002
    Kowikan monkey (sp) : Uh, these characters are WAY to high in polycount (probably) to efficiently be used in a game. Average polygon count in a game for a character should be from 1300 - 2200 depending on the engine....

18. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    Probably he didn't mean in-game characters, just like I said. Maybe something like Gamecube could handle something like that, polygon count would have to be reduced a bit more, but they'd still look good.
    But as always, the key to realism is homegrown textures and good lighting, the modelling is perfect, but then again, to Poser looking. Heck, Poser is almost as identifiable as Terragen, believe me. Anyhow, all it needs now is some real textures.

Carl

19. Loveless

Loveless Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2002
    I think the average gamecube main character would be between 2000 and 4000 polygons...usually poser is a lot more

20. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    [image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/Lenarface.jpg]

[image=http://www.evanscwmynys.btinternet.co.uk/arnorface.jpg]

21. Macho

Macho Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2001
    lone, like carl said they need better textures and they'll look mucho better, having the hair as a map makes it look like a game character

22. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    I personally think that these guys are too nit picky, they need to spend less time staring at the beauties on the sci-fi 3D page. I think these guys seem like they would do fine in a CG movie. I definatly do not think that they look like 'computer game' characters at all.

There is no doubt that they are animated characters, they definatly have the CG look.

But then again I do almost all of my filming in live action, and am far from being a 3D guru, so maybe I am just too easy-going on the 3D stuff?

23. CarlCampbell

Jul 28, 2002
    WD, I have never actually stopped to compare these with sci-fi 3D meshes. But to criticize something, your opinion has to have some ref point. In my case, it isn't sci-fi 3D's meshes. I play games, like practically all CG artists, and these would be easily identifiable as game characters. Especially for cinematics. Anyone have Star Wars: Starfighter? If you look at the characters in the cinematics they are very similar to these.
    Macho has actually made a great point. Its something that you normally see in games: hair is a mapped mesh. Normally, a fully constructed CG character looks better with actual spline-based hair, not a mesh representing the actual volume of the hair. On a side note, I bet all of us that have played the TPM PC game remember the awful texturing job done with Qui-Gonn's hair. It looked like Chewbacca's face :D This has nothing to do with these characters, of course, but some actually strand-by-strand hair would look good, also they'd need a more detailed skin bump-map. :)

Carl

24. brokenglassltd

brokenglassltd Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 6, 2002
    Alright, Lone. To make these two look rather realistic, you'll need two things. A lot of close up pcitures of people and Deep Paint. Deep Paint is a plug-in for Photoshop and 3D Studio Max. It allows you to paint actual texture (bump maps) at the same time as color.
    It will take you a long time to get it right, but work hard and you can do it. You may want to tweak your models clothing a bit so that the polygons don't intercept to leg's polys when they hit. But that can come later.

25. Lone_Padawan

Apr 20, 2001
    *waves flag*
    don't have either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.