main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Character Profiles -- Luke Skywalker (11.26.02 -- 12.03.02)

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by Aunecah_Skywalker, Nov 26, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, I've took this to DA , and he doesn't seem to have a problem, so I decided to post it here and see how things go.

Well, the title itself should be pretty self-explanatory, but humor me for a moment. The movies and the books are the same but the interpretations of the characters are very different from one person to another. While I see Jaina being written inconsistently through the NJO (and the EU as a whole), many others don't.

So, I thought it would be interesting to see what everybody thought about the charactes. Hence, this thread.

Anyway, this week's topic is Luke Skywalker. And the main "thesis" of your paragraph (or essay) should answer either the question Should Luke Skywalker be a Jedi Master now or the question Do you see huge similarities between Luke and Greek heroes . You can answer both questions, of course. ;)

Finally, please don't flame in this thread. This is simply an observation, Q&A kind of thread. You're welcome to comment on other people's observations, but don't turn this into a debate thread.

Note: This is intended to be a serious discussion of the characters. If you're looking for a way to write humorous character profiles, go to this thread: Character Surveys .

Note 2 : We're here to have fun and get to know each other better through our interpretations of the characters. Just remember that these characters are fictional; there is no need for us to rip each other's hair out debating who's better than who.

:)

Aunecah

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Since nobody seems interested, I guess we'll start by my answer to one of the questions.

Do you see huge similarities between Luke and Greek heroes?

Actually, I do. Many of the Greek heroes (if not all of them) have a supernatural element setting them apart from everybody else. They often suffer through a lot of death (especially that of their parents), and often rescue damsels in distress. Many have notable parents (usually father) -- like Zeus. And more often than not, the Greek heroes first start out as boys who have no knowledge of their power or destiny.

This sounds a lot like Luke -- who has the Force, rescues Leia, suffered through Owen and Beru's death (and then later Ben's and Vader's), is the son of the one and only Anakin Skywalker, was a moisture-farmer on Tatooine for sixteen years....

Aunecah

3. The_Standmaiden

The_Standmaiden Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 28, 2002
    Luke's story bears a resemblance to many myths. He is an orphan from a common life who finds out that his father is a powerful entity, learns about his supernatural powers and uses these supernatural powers to save the world.

4. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    is Luke sort of like Hercules? That reminds me........:rushes off to the Mara Jade fan club:...........

Which specific greek heroes? I only know of Hercules.

5. Jedi_Master_Mazzara

Jedi_Master_Mazzara Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2001
    Theseus or Perseus, I can't remember which one, but I know he reminds me of one of their story's.

Definitely not Hercules, in my opinion.

Maybe a hybrid? Who knows, however, I must point out the fact that Star Wars closely parallel's much of classical and medieval culture/history-in-general. So a parallel between Greek/Roman/Medieval myth is very likely. (I could expand later if you want me to on what I mean, right now I'm strapped for time)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.