Character Theme Songs

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by brokenlullaby, Aug 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. brokenlullaby Jedi Knight

star 1
    Alright, so I haven't seen a topic like this (at least not in the Fan Fiction boards), so I decided to go ahead and post it. Let me know if I was wrong! [face_worried]

So... Does anyone else turn to music for inspiration when writing fanfics? Do you listen to a song and immediately think, "Hey! That song totally fits Anakin!" or "Woah! That just gave me a great idea for a fic!" :eek: Well, I know I do.

I even went as far as making playlists on my iPod. "Ani Songs", "Obi Songs", "Padme Songs", "General SW Songs", and the list goes on. Let me know if you want me to post the lists. They're pretty long, so I won't bother to post them unless someone asks and is actually interested. lol.

Did a certain song inspire you to write a fanfic? Do you have your own character playlists? Or am I just a nut-job? Please let it not be the latter! [face_praying]
  2. The_Face Ex-Manager

star 5
    Do you have your own character playlists?

I keep a playlist of tracks that get me into the mood of my little Noir-verse corner of the galaxy. Some soundtrack cues, some pop, some jazz/funk/etc. Some of them are associated with specific characters, but typically they apply to the broader themes and moods that tend to crop up in those stories.

Did a certain song inspire you to write a fanfic?

This is far more rare. Can't say it never happens, since I did do a songfic around a supporting character in "Escape from Perdition" as part of the bonus material for it. And "Bankrobber" by The Clash gave me a particularly vicious plotbunny for an Alias Sibul story that never quite turned itself into a full-fledged fic. But it was touch-and-go for quite a while there. :p

Or am I just a nut-job?

Sure. There is, of course, no shame in it. It's quite freeing as a matter of fact. [face_monkey]
  3. Gush Jedi Padawan

There aren't that many songs that I can say really inspired me to write a fan fic, but there are a lot of songs that i find to be very inspiring in so far as continuing to write or at least as it relates to keeping the creative juices flowing.

Look into the OSTs of The Fountain, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Avatar; all great full of great instrumental pieces.
  4. DarthIshtar Chosen One

star 9
    I mostly do this for original fic characters. I remember listening to a lot of John Williams (Indiana Jones and ROTJ mostly) while writing certain parts of Lest Ye Be Judged. But for my novel, I found that I write my main characters best if I'm listening to Metallica's Enter Sandman. And I had to write a funeral, but couldn't get into the mood unless I put "Smile" from the Glee soundtrack on repeat.
  5. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    I would love to see your playlist. What a great idea!
  6. iceaffinity Jedi Master

star 1

For characters? No. For fics? Oh yeah. :D I always write to music, and usually end up, intentionally or not, building little soundtracks to fics. Instrumental pieces are usually the best (vocals get distracting).

Until recently, I'd have said no - sometimes I find music that 'fits' a fic, but it usually goes fic/idea first, music second. I did recently write a fic called Said the Joker to the Thief that was pretty much inspired by listening to Dylan's All Along the Watchtower one too many times, mainly the Bear McCreary version. I started poking around through some of Dylan's other music, then through some general protest music, and ended up letting different chapters be influenced/inspired by different protest songs. I ended up finding some really amazing music in the process as well (seriously, Phil Ochs' "Half a Century High" should be the clones' theme song...).

Am I just a nut-job?

Aren't we all? :p
  7. Bazylia Jedi Padawan

Not quite. Sometimes a verse or two is inspiring, but I've never written a songfic (yet). When writing something shorter, I usually listen to a song or two over and over again - I set the volume rather low, so the music is just a background.

Again. Character playlists - no. Fanfic playlists, or songs, more likely - sometimes. 'Scene songs' - quite often.
    Mostly various soundtracks: Hans Zimmer, Brian Tyler's fabulous Children of Dune, X-Ray Dog, some game themes: Arcanum and a song from King's Bounty; and a little of Yann Tiersen's and Klaus Badelt's music, for example.

But there are some songs which remind me of one character or another. Since I'm lately writing a lot of Dooku fanfics - some of the music I use when writing him: Apocalyptica - Farewell, main theme from Arcanum, Two Steps From Hell - Wrath of the Sea, and also Pachelbel's Canon as played by Vanessa Mae, but that's more in connection with the whole story than Dooku himself.
    Among other characters I've written - for young Jocasta Nu I would choose Latika's Theme from Slumdog Millionaire OST.

And a bit of humour - that one would be a perfect theme song for Anakin.
  8. karebear214 Jedi Master

star 4
    So... Does anyone else turn to music for inspiration when writing fanfics? Do you listen to a song and immediately think, "Hey! That song totally fits Anakin!" or "Woah! That just gave me a great idea for a fic!"

Oh God yes. All the time, whether I'm trying to or not.

Over the years, I've managed to collect "lists" for characters I write frequently, though I've never actually written down the list or put it together - they exist mostly in my head. More frequently, individual stories will get their own playlists, which usually do get written down and put into iTunes or (in the old days) burned to CD. Almost every current story I'm working on has a playlist that I use to fuel me while I'm writing and as "recommended listening" for readers - though I don't always share them. Individual song lyrics have jump-started probably more than half of the fics I've written, though they may not always end up referenced by the time the story is posted.

9. divapilot Force Ghost

star 4
    I think most of us find inspiration in different areas, and music is a big part of that.

My first fanfic, "Not The Easy Thing To Do," was a story inspired by the U2 song "Walk On."

(lyrics = And love is not the easy thing
    The only baggage that you bring
    Is all that you can't leave behind)

Seemed a very Mara kind of thing at the time. :p
  10. Lane_Winree Force Ghost

star 4
    I love this topic!

Did a certain song inspire you to write a fanfic? - Oh absolutely. The obvious ones are the songfics I've done. Deep in the archives of stuff I wrote years ago and will never, ever dredge up were a pair of pilot-centric songfics. One was a Wedge Antilles story set to Aerosmith's "Dream On." The second was a Myn Donos/Lara Notsil fic set to Stevie Wonder's "Part Time Lover."

Latest songfic I wrote is a Luke/Mara piece set to Oliver Nelson's Stolen Moments

Beyond that I've had music inspire scenes within longer fics. It's often soundtrack music that does this for me.

For canon characters not often, for original characters I'll occasionally come up with a playlist for them. Longer I write with that original character the better the chance is they've got a bit of a soundtrack. As an example, the song I play in my head whenever I write my OC Darvix Zorvan is the Noveria theme from Mass Effect.

Mostly what I do is settle into a sort of playlist while writing a style of fic. For example, if I'm writing a longer action/adventure themed story I'll often use the Mass Effect OST as ambiance music while I write.

Or am I just a nut-job?

Good heavens, no. Music is an essential part of my writing process.
  11. madman007 Force Ghost

star 4
    I can't really say a specific song inspired me to write a fan fic or story. But, a certain song's lyrics did help me find an OC character of mine.

In my Mary Jane Skyler epic, I wanted Mary Jane (from Earth..Alabama to be exact) to have a unique perspective on life, just like her counterpart, Mara Jade Skywalker. I had Mary Jane be a fan of the Grateful Dead, like myself, but I wanted to emphasize a song that brought Mary's philosophy. In the beginning, Mary held her pain and emotions inside and kept it, like a box. Mara showed her how to open that box and pass it on. Box Of Rain expressed that so well that I had to list the lyrics because it parallel's both Mara and Mary's journey.

12. Corellian_Ale Manager Emeritus

star 4
    Does anyone else turn to music for inspiration when writing fanfics?

Oh, yeah, I'll put the radio on scan, or iTunes on shuffle while I wait for a song to come up that helps put me in the frame of mind for a particular scene, or character... which is why it takes me so long to update, even if I know what I'm gonna' write, I still need to be "in that place". Unlike our cohorts, I tend to stay clear of scores and soundtracks only becuase when I do listen to them while writing I just want to stop and watch it. Another reason I get nothing done.

Some of my OCs (which is what I mostly write) have actual playlists, or even "theme songs" like your thread title. For instance when I'm writing Dapen Marr, I usually put on Jay-Z's "1-900-hustler" or some other similar hip/hop song. For Vyyk, it was always something by Alice In Chains, and for Ganner "Texx" Riggans I always put on the Stone's "Gimme Shelter" first.

Or am I just a nut-job?

Um, I don't know you all that well, so I'm gonna' go with: if not, then you should be... 'cause as my buddy The_Face pointed out, is that we "nut-jobs" tend to be the most charming devils on these boards. ;)
  13. celera Jedi Knight

star 2

Sometimes, listening to a love song might help me write a romantic scene but I usually don't turn to specific types. I write best in a public area where they're playing any kind of music (except smooth jazz). As long as it isn't sleep inducing, it's OK. The only exception is that Celtic music really puts me in the right frame of mind to write LOTR. But it's not a specific song that I turn to. For me, songs only really fit the situations I already imagined.

I do feel like some songs totally fit certain characters and/or their relationships with others. Do I create playlists for them? No, I just never did it.
  14. anakin_girl Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I rarely write a strictly-canon Anakin Skywalker, but "Fallen" by Sarah McLachlan fits him perfectly. There's even an Anakin video set to this song on YouTube.

I've been using a lot of Sarah McLachlan and Suzanne Vega for my current fic. Also one song by Rickie Lee Jones, "Stewart's Coat."
  15. pbj13 Jedi Padawan

I hardly find lyrical songs insiparational (save "Black Parade--totally fits Obi-Wan). But I'll occaisonaly listen to X-Ray Dog or Two Steps From Hell or other music like that. But it's ussually if I just need help wiritng a scene. Rarely anything more.

But there have been some occaisons where some song screams SIRIWAN or DARK OBI-WAN or whatever. But again, rarely is it lyrical. I just get distracted by thw words. Personally, I like the actual music.
  16. Renton Kenobi Force Ghost

star 4
    I always make playlist to fit the fic I am writing at the time. For Star Wars it's a lot of classic rock, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, etc, with a mix of some of the new stuff, My Chemical Romance, 30 Seconds to Mars, what have you. But then in between those I have stuff from Coldplay, Sigur Ros,David Bowie. But for my character Anen, her theme song I would say is Kings and Queens by 30 Seconds to Mars.
  17. LaForzaViva Jedi Grand Master

star 1
    Since we're all creative here (quick, pat yourself on the back), music definitely is important I think.

I don't have specific songs that instantly come to mind for characters, and since I write OCs, that's definitely true for me. But as a classical music lover and clarinetist, I find myself enjoying writing to just about any classical, jazz, or instrumental soundtrack. Berlioz, Shostakovich, Dvorak, Mozart, Copland, Dizzy Gillespie, Glenn Miller, West Side Story, Pan's Labyrinth, Star Wars, anything John Williams, etc.

I don't know if I specifically get inspiration from a song, but the concepts, melodies, harmonies and counter-melodies can really set me in the mood to write certain parts. If I need to write some dark parts, Shosty (5th symphony) and Pan's Labyrinth are great for that, but if I need upbeat type stuff, I can put on Williams or jazz or Shosty's 9th.

And then nothing ever beats Duel of the Fates. Action scene? That song goes on loop till I'm done.
  18. mrjop2 Force Ghost

star 4
    For me, I play John Williams. With my Star Wars fan fiction, I play the end credits for Revenge of the Sith. For my Superman fanfiction, I play the Superman theme song and love song, depending on where in the story I am at.
  19. Ceillean Force Ghost

star 5
    I have songs for my characters and for certain scenes in a fic. I listen to all sorts of stuff while writing, ranging from classical music like Vivaldi or Soundtracks to Rock, Metal, Techno, even pop music now and then. Really depends on the character and on the story.

Music generally helps my muse along. Staind helps me a great deal, as do Linkin Park and Disturbed, Theory of a Deadman.

And it's kind of funny, I'm writing a pure romance story and not once have I listened to romance music while writing. [face_laugh]

20. Overboard4aFel Jedi Master

star 2
    Definately yes!

Music is the key to my muse, in more ways than one. 30 Seconds to Mars' "This Is War" inspired my current AU fic... And I forgot who said it, but I agree with them... My stories might as well as have a soundtrack to them. Music is food to the soul. :D[face_love]

O4aF
  21. memorysong Jedi Padawan

I have to agree there. The first time I watched a Star Wars movie it was the music that captured my heart first, especially the scene of Obi-Wan and Anakin's battle in ROTS. The music stayed with me even after I stopped thinking about the plot.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.