main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characterisations: Lando Calrissian

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kyptastic, Aug 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyptastic

Kyptastic VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Other Threads

Characterisations
    Gilad Pellaeon
    Mara Jade Skywlalker
    Corran Horn
    Kyp Durron
    Han Solo
    Wedge Antilles
    Anakin Skywalker
    Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Count Dooku
    Leia Organa Solo
    Chewbacca
    Boba Fett
    Jacen Solo
    Palpatine/Darth Sidious
    Jaina Solo

Characters Who've been shafted
    C-3PO

I was almost going to include Lando as a Character who has been shafted, but then I remembered that the Bantam era was really good for Lando stories. However, in recent times he has almost become the forgotten character, mentioned but barely ever seen. He may even go the way of Chewbacca soon.

Discuss[face_peace]

2. Svebor

Svebor Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2005
    I always hated Lando's craving for the Millenium Falcon, even when he lost it fare and squre. Especially in the Jedi Academy.

3. Thanos6

Thanos6 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 20, 1999
    Lando was best written in his own trilogy by L. Neil Smith: a guy who much prefers to leave the blasters at home and beat his opponents with his golden mind and silver tongue. He knows that most of the times, heavy weaponry just raises the stakes and doesn't take anything big unless he KNOWS he's absolutely going to need it.

4. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

I remember that! The Falcon betting in Dark Apprentice. Brings back preadult memories . . .

Alvin's book covers are scintillant! I'd marry it if it weren't adultery . . .

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Great character, tons of potential, but unfortunately written into being a one-trick pony. He got his best usage in BFC.

6. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I just wish they'd let him keep a successful business...

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Lando is one of my favorites, but most of the authors have no clue what to do with him. It seemed that every business he started ended badly and for some lame reason he always wanted to gamble Han for the Falcon. I also think it's kinda screwed how they decided that Lando's and Mara's relationship was eventually made to be some sorta hush-hush undercover mission to find Cardas or whatever his name is.

At least his character is somewhat stable for now, and married. I wonder if they'll decide to give him children. I want the Calrissian line to continue.

8. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    It would have been AWESOME if they'd kept Lando and Mara together.

9. EwokStromboli

EwokStromboli Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 4, 2004
    In all honesty, Lando is a bit character who is sort of puffed up a dial or two because he seems like an important movie character. He's not---and it's hard to write him in an interesting manner, I would imagine. (I suppose what would have helped his EU character become more prominent if is he'd been Talon Karrde.)

Generally speaking, however, I like how he's been portrayed in the EU; I like the unlucky but resourceful businessman angle. He's earnest and reliable, with a different kind of smart-talkedness that distinguishes him from Han. I've been meaning to read the Lando trilogy, too.

10. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    A.C. Crispin also wrote Lando well in the Han trilogy.

I never really cared for the Lando/Mara thing personally, but that was probably because it was first hinted at poorly in KJA's trilogy, along with the nth Sabacc game for the Falcon.

11. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Lando is at his best in the Han Solo trilogy, somehow he always seemed to turn up when Boba Fett was around!

But as for him in Dark Apprentice, give that man a bucket!

And why did he disappear about halfway though NJO? Where did Lando go?

12. Whizkid

Whizkid Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2003
    Well Tendrando Arms has made him a fortune in between TUF and Betrayal.

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Hmm, didn't know that. Thanks for the info. About damned time!

14. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Maybe that's why we don't see him anymore.

15. Jmacq1

Jmacq1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 20, 2005
    Yeah, there's a strong sentiment that Lando may actually pull off the "retired and lived relatively happily ever after" bit.

16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    That would be nice.

17. Lank_Pavail

Lank_Pavail Jedi Knight star 7

Sep 26, 2002
    Lando's fun as the 'recurring character' role he's usally placed in. He's a one trick pony in that he's the plot device used to provide something unusual to give the good duys an edge. Most recently, it was the YVH droids. I did enjoy his contasnt mantra while storming Borleias

"I'm too old for this. I'm too old for this. I need a drink."

Great counterpoint to the other heroes. :)

18. Kenobi_Kid

Kenobi_Kid Jedi Padawan star 4

May 5, 2005
    He had some really good moments in Star by Star and Rebel Stand, but I agree that it would be nice to see him "live happily ever after". After all those buisiness invesmants that fell through he deserves it.

19. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    I always liked Lando for the fact that he's the only one among the older characters who's a hero, but not the pure, superman sense, the jaded cynic turning a new leaf sense, or the dakr sider finding redemption angle- he's his own man.

20. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

There's only one way to explain his lack of kids---he's actually had one, but kept it hidden from as a bet to see how long it'd take Solo to work out. Of course, now that I've proposed such a cool/corny idea, paralegally, it could not be used. Tis the case, you shouldn't be suggesting any ideas. :p

21. jSarek

jSarek VIP star 4 VIP

Feb 18, 2005
    It's also interesting how Lando, perhaps unintentionally, has become the historian/archaeologist of the Heroes of Yavin. His first experiences with the topic were with the Sharu and the Silentium. He was also the one who told Han about the Black Fleet (having researched it for a con) and Luke about beckon calls. Later, of course, came the Qella.

22. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    When Han dies in LOTF, Lando will be there to care for Leia and make her a Princess again!

Or maybe before he dies...

SCANDAL OF SCANDALS!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.