main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Characters from The Clone Wars that could appear in the sequel trilogy

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jordan1Kenobi, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Darth_Quintonis

Darth_Quintonis Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 31, 2013
    I hear you and it makes sense what you're saying.

Yet, did we need to know all of Obi-wan's or Yoda's backstory for those characters to work in the story in ANH or ESB?
    All we get from Old Ben is, "I was once a Jedi Knight, same as your father."

It could and would work just as well, Ben Skywalker or Jacen and Jaina Solo, or all three of them, (or whoever) are searching for help, they find rumors of their grandfather having a padawan named Ahsoka Tano that "vanished into thin air" in a holocron that Luke recovered years ago from Old Ben's hut, or even Yoda's. They eventually find her and her line is: "I was once a padawan, just as you are yourselves, but that was a long time ago."

It's no more shoe-horned than Obi-wan telling Luke in vision that he must go to "the Dagobah system, there you will find Yoda, the Jedi Master that trained me." I mean, where in the Dagobah system? Does Ben tell Luke? No. Does Luke just happen to crash land mere meters away from where Yoda lives? Yes. Do we sit there and question the probability of this the first time we watch ESB? Maybe, maybe some are that cynical, I do know people that can not enjoy a movie or a song because they are so busy with analysis they can not suspend their disbelief, or enjoy the whole without naming off all the ingredients that make it up. For the most part, no one sat there during ESB for the first viewing, questioning the improbability of Luke actually finding Yoda.

We do get a sense in Star Wars, that there are encounters between characters that are destined. This is mentioned as an aspect of the Force many times. Do we need to know what Yoda did for 800+ years to enjoy his role in ESB or ROTJ? Do we need to know how he became such an amazing Jedi Grand Master and how he sat at the head of the Jedi Council to enjoy his role in the PT? No. Would it be nice to see his back-story? I think so, while others claim Yoda must be shrouded in mystery, so it's another contentious issue, really.

My point is that, if the writers and Lucas so choose, all of these examples about Obi-wan and Yoda and how they were initially introduced, apply equally to Ahsoka, Maul, Ventress, Offee, etc. Would I like to see something like this happen, an old Ahsoka, helping out the young protagonists, yes. Do I think it would take tons of time out of the movie, no. Would it help if there were novelizations explaining the time between, absolutely. Yet, whether she has a back-ground cameo appearance or a deeper supporting role, people will still want to know where she's been, how she survived, how Luke and Leia came across her, etc.

Why an old Ahsoka Tano? Many kids are partially raised by their grandparents, all over the world. Most people have a soft spot for their grandparents. I think this is part of Obi-wan and Yoda's appeal, it's part of the Jungian archtype that Joseph Campbell identified in mythologies from various cultures, the same Joseph Campbell that George Lucas was heavily influenced by. In our culture, which is more patriarchal the old men are considered wisest by many. It would be good for the young females to finally have an old matriarch to look up to. Besides, around the world, this is not so foreign at all, an old female matriarch being the wise and strong one that holds the family together. Who better to fulfill such a role, if the writing team were to decide they needed such a character? There is no other character that qualifies on so many levels; former soldier in the Clone Wars, experience with fighting Sith, padawan to arguably the best Jedi General of the era, someone who knows that rules are not always what's most important, and a link to their (assuming Ben, Jacen or Jaina are the protagonists) family, to their grandfather. No one else qualifies. Especially if they could only get Hamill to agree to one more movie, or that was the plan all along.

I'm arguing, that if the ST is to hold to certain Campbell/Jung mythic stylings, there MUST be someone who embodies the "Wise Old Sage" archetype. If Luke Skywalker will be in the majority of the ST, Ahsoka Tano would not be necessary in such a role, if Luke will not be in the whole trilogy, I am arguing that no other character besides Ahsoka could fill that role.

KevinM1, Ryus and Circular_Logic like this.
  2. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Well, K'Kruhk could work but not nearly as well as Luke or Ahoska could. However for the most part I agree with you Darth_Quintonis, based on your sinerio Ahsoka would work very well and doesnt need much explaining.

and didnt Barriss Offee die on Felusia at the end of the clone wars?

Darth_Quintonis likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Who knows anymore about Barriss. She was to die on Felucia or someplace but TCW made her the bomber remember?

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I know, which is why I asked it as a question, sorry for not being clearer there... But it was kinda being foreshadowed Ahsoka was about to be exectuted, so I see no reason why she couldn't be executed in her stead. Then again without Palpatine likely manipulating the situation to push Anakin to the darkside, its quite possible she might get a more fair trail... still I dont find it likely order 66 wouldnt apply to a helpless former jedi in a prison cell (unless she goes DS and she becomes an Emperor's hand or escapes)

5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I like Ahsoka but we don't need her to be the wise matriarch in the ST because we already have one. It is Leia and she fits much better into the story than Ahsoka.

6. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Ok completely random comment here but I just felt like pointing this out. There are wayy too many hard to pronounce/read names. I am a Star Wars Fan, a big one, and if I am having a hard time following this thread. How could the casual fan know whats going on at all. Star Wars needs to get back to Epic names such as Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, Biggs Darklighter, Wedge Antilles, Even Darth Vader or Jabba the Huit are simple and cool.

K'Kruhk, Ahsoka, etc. are not really marketable or cool names at all....

The PT kind of went crazy with insane hard to read names.

Just my two cents.

7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I know its wrong to say... but cant see Carrie Fisher in that role even though Leia is perfect for it. Maybe its the EU, maybe its Carrie Fishers acting post RotJ, but this isnt a statement about her negitively but Carrie Fisher's personality is more the anti-sage and more outgoing humorous and blunt then your stereotypical humble wise sage. Maybe she can play an anti-sage :p;)

Well, Ahsoka Tano is easy to say once you hear it actually, at least imho.

As to K'Kruhk while his name hard his alien design is pure win. Oh, while K'Kruhk fought in the clone wars he wasnt in the show (well he was in the first show , dont recall him in the second).. he's a comic character with a very long life span (he's still alive 138 years after ANH). Long story short didnt come out of hiding till the Imperial Remenant made peace with the new republic (forget the exact year he came out of hiding)

[​IMG]

8. Han Yolo

Han Yolo Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 7, 2013
    Ahh Thanks Ryus! I dont really closely follow all the EU stuff so that explains it. I just wish we had more Biggs Darklighter ish names. So epic and sadly under used.

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That was so dumb that they had Kruhk in the Legacy series which was roughly 140 years after Episode 4 and roughly 160 years after ROTS when the Old Jedi Order was destroyed.

kubricklynch and Darth_Pevra like this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Dont disagree but lolz I read Legacy first, so I got shocked the opposite way (omg he's in the clone wars era too). While I agree it was dumb not making a new character, in a sense with Yoda being 900 years old some other species must live long too and become Jedi who span generations. Just wish like Mass Effect we had short lived species vs human life spans too for some contrast.

Original Oatmeal likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't have a problem with aliens with long life spans but a Jedi from a whole different era entirely doesn't appeal to me. Luke's Jedi Order was to be different from the PT era Jedi Order. To have a jedi from that era escape the Purges, the Galactic Civil War, The Vong War, the Killik crisis, the 2nd Galactic Civil War, the Abeloth mess and whatever else happens until the Legacy era. Why hasn't he been seen since the Purge? Same with Ashoka really.

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Dont disagree... just saying life span wise it did fit the verse. A poor choice but sadly one that was approved by someone LFL, likely just since someone at DarknHorse just liked writting K'Kruhk and on LFL side he was popular and they did come up with an excuse to not have him with Luke even though both where alive.

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm on board with a wise old Jedi appearing in the ST but I don't think it should be Ahsoka. What exactly is she going to tell future generations? That she found the Jedi Order who raised her, to be so completely ****ed up that she walked away from them at age 16? I don't think the PT Jedi were perfect by any means but I prefer old Ben's idealizing them to anything I can imagine Ahsoka saying.

14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Uh, the same as yoda... the force is awesome and mysterious, you have personal issues, and beware the dark side... just with proper syntax [face_tee_hee]

15. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It seems to me that Clone DNA would be inferior and would not last that long.

16. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    I find it interesting, how some people have no solutions or positive ideas of their own that they are willing to share, yet the explanations that they demand from others would amount to have them writing lengthy fan fiction theses on the subjects they are trying to discuss. Do you want me to write the whole script for Episode VIII including an old Ahsoka, and submit it for your approval? Surely, if you were being open minded, you could see how this could work, @anakinfansince1983.

So, would you care to give your suggestions for which characters from the Clone Wars that could appear in the sequel trilogy? You know, to expect from yourself what you seem to demand from others, and to you know, stay on topic?

Dra--- likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL wut? Hell no. When have I expressed any interest in a script that includes old Ahsoka? And what exactly is the "problem" that you are claiming I have no solution for?

Not sure what you are saying that I "demand" from others because I don't really care enough to ask anyone to prove any sort of point here. As far as characters, I'd love to see Ventress again but I'm not sure that would work either; it would depend on the time frame.

As far as a wise old sage Jedi, that role should be filled by Luke or Leia.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    Okay, I see where you're coming from. I hope that Luke is that wise old Jedi sage character as well, for the whole sequel trilogy, if not, I'd like to see Ahsoka in that role. I'm sorry, and I don't know what it is about her exactly, I just do not see Leia that way, in a Jedi context. I see Leia as more the stately politician, not the wise old Jedi sage.

Ryus likes this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Maybe its cause Ahsoka was starting to be able to see how the Jedi Council was getting lost in the politics of the war and some of their arrogance in their policies, yet always remained a Jedi at her core unlike others who saw it and went DS as a result. So in a sense she fits perfectly into Luke's restructing the Jedi, in part to prevent manipulation by the Sith or being destroyed by them and to be more in balance with the force (more added in after the PT)

I agree about Leia seeming more politician but Im wondering if this is the EU influencing me or Carrie Fisher herself... her last few lines of dialog in RotJ do imply she could become one though, I'll admit that much. Once she was at peace and calm (and learning of her heiritage and ability) without even realizing it or training she was able to have very clear ability to sense the force.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    An Ahsoka who says something along the lines of "I left the Jedi Order because they were ****ed up and I knew better than they did how to be a Jedi," or is presented in such a way that that's what we're supposed to believe?

Do. Not. Want.

Especially since neither Obi-Wan nor Yoda trashed the Jedi Order, even while they both admitted they personally made mistakes.

I don't have any sort of stake in Leia being a wise Jedi sage. Luke should definitely be it though.

21. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    Films, not fans-mod edit

22. Original Oatmeal

Original Oatmeal Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 22, 2013
    Want to see Windu?

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, considering that the Democrats are more conservative than I am, I don't think O'Reilly would hire me.

My point was that I don't think Ahsoka being a "wise Jedi sage" works when she left the Order as a Padawan, and I don't want her departure presented to the audience as "she was a true Jedi and they had lost their way."

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    No need to glorify Ahsoka...

Dave overdid it.

Thanks.

25. Darth_Quintonis

Mar 31, 2013
    Yet, you are the only one that keeps suggesting that they would have her basically dissing the entire Jedi order, I'm sure that she would have a more nuanced view of the whole thing in her old age. As far as her leaving as a Padawan, that's debatable. Master Windu did tell her that they considered it all to be her "trials", which they said she passed. Technically she was a Jedi Knight when she left, as she was told by the council that she had passed her trials.