main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Characters in Rebels, Who Will Show Up and Who Do You Want to See?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Slowpokeking, May 21, 2013.

1. Darth_Foo

Darth_Foo Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2003
    Bail and Mon Mothma are a give so I really hope to see Garm Bel-Iblis

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That's assuming they don't dismiss him as an EU character.

3. Antlers

Antlers Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Honestly, I would be pleased with anybody from the OT.
    But, I would like to see them developed and engaged in meaningful dialogue. It would be disappointing if all they did was blow junk up, fight, and blast away. Nonstop battle gets boring fast, unless it's orchestrated well.
    I would prefer to see fewer Jedi and more "normal" characters engaged in their own struggles. More "gray" characters would be refreshing after the blatant BAD vs. GOOD of The Clone Wars. I have a fondness for the Imperials, so it would be nice to see more of them. :)

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I am looking forward to seeing the Underworld causing some problems for the Imperials. The galaxy isn't just Jedi. Looking forward to this.

5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Now since Rebels is a star wars series, it is extremely likely that we will get lightsaber duels. This of course would have to be through surviving jedi fighting some type of darksider.

However making it only Jedi vs Sith, creates a problem. The only 2 Sith in this era are Vader and Palpatine, and Palpatine doesn't really hunt jedi personally, that's Vader's job. And if your familiar with the dark times era, you would know that jedi survivors do not stand a chance....AT ALL, against Vader, even if they take him on with numbers.

But this also means then, if the writers want lightsaber duels between jedi and sith, the sith, specifically Vader would/should basically win every duel. This then creates the problem of the bad guy basically winning every fight. And though dark times should be dark, and show the good guys losing/being murdered by Vader, im sure us fans would not want every lightsaber duel to end in a jedi diced and sliced.

If the writers see this problem, and decide to have the good guys win some duels with Vader, this would create another problem.......aka the depowering/incompetency of Vader. I DON'T want to see Vader running away from a battle or being defeated, which happened several times to some of the lightsaber wielding villains of TCW.

The writers could then instead use Maul, however this guy imo should be dead at this time. Besides though Maul isn't as powerful as Vader (though im sure some would disagree), Maul is to much of a match for your average jedi, especially if said jedi survivors are only padawans/knights.

Therefore i propose that the writers introduce several dark jedi, who under orders from Palpatine also hunt down the remaining jedi. This could give us new characters, and also lesser darksiders, that jedi survivors have a better chance at defeating.

If you know your EU, Palpatine had several organizations of dark jedi to do his bidding, so it would be stupid for this not to be shown.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    I wouldn't be surprised if a few of the surviving Jedi fall to the Dark Side during Dark Times as well. That way we could get some red on red lightsaber action with Vader as well. But yeah I hope they keep Vader very powerful and not losing every lightsaber fight he's in because he's the bad guy and the good guys always win, a la General Grievous in TCW.

7. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Should there be dark jedi in Rebels?

No.

8. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Why do you think they shouldn't be in Rebels?

9. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Yes, Quinlan Vos.

[​IMG]

10. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Because I feel that the show should take place no earlier than 5 years before ANH and that at this point in time the Jedi should be long extinct. Let's not diminish more of the mystique of the OT, shall we? They should take a lesson from the Droids series, because they at least did something right with that show.

11. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The empire canonically had a whole bunch of darksiders running around. Inquisitors, Dark Side Adepts, Emperor's hands etc. Some of the Army / Navy leaders were also. Grand Admiral Declann was a powerful Sith who specialized in battle meditation.

I don't see why we shouldn't see some of them popping up.

12. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Eghh! Really? You want all that? :/

13. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    I'm of the sentiment that Vader and the Emperor shouldn't be shown on screen too frequently, lest they risk diminishing their menace and the fear they inspire in the rebels and insurgents against the Empire. So naturally I would be all for adding Dark Siders fighting on behalf of the Empire. The EU notes that the Emperor's Hands and the Inquisitors were factions trained in the Dark Side to serve the Emperor as assassins and they will undoubtedly play a role in hunting down surviving Jedi and insurgent leaders. Remember, what makes Star Wars unique is their lightsaber battles. Having numerous Dark Side Adepts and Hands as characters will allow for these duels to still occur, though I imagine they will be more uncommon than in TCW, as there are far fewer Jedi in number. It wouldn't feel like Star Wars without at least a few lightsaber duels.

If the series starts and takes place early on during the Dark Times, say either right after RotS or the events of Dark Lord and the Purge comics, then I can certainly see Darth Maul as one of Palpatine's first Hands, perhaps the original leader of this small cadre of Dark Siders. These Dark Siders can show up much more frequently than Vader to hunt down the good guys, and we can see some failing and getting killed without running the risk of Vader looking bad.

Though this will obviously be controversial, they can also include a young Mara Jade if/when the series takes place closer to ANH, as she served as one of the Emperor's assassins during this time. I'm thinking that she might not show up, however, especially if they decide to retcon her character in the upcoming ST films. If she does show up in some fashion, though, that means Disney will adhere at least to some of the canon established post-RotJ, namely essential character names, so this has the potential to be illuminating.

Jordan1Kenobi
    Pretty sure Quinlan Vos is a good guy again by the time of RotS, so he'll be one of many surviving Jedi during the Purge. We don't know his ultimate fate, so it would be awesome to see the new Rebels show tackle his story, as well as show that he has a wife and child.

14. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I'd be a amazed if Quinlan Vos wasn't in Rebels. We know he survives Order 66, and they already have his model from TCW.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Ventress maybe and we can see her get killed off

16. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    Ventress yes, killed off, no.

I would love to see The Emperor's Hands, and the idea of them hunting down Jedi sounds too tantalizing for the show to not incorporate. The assertion for this thread is in many ways correct, they can't let go of lightsaber duels.

17. StarWarsFan91

Oct 14, 2008
    Even if Ventress did make an appearance, she has changed to much to the side of good, that i don't think she should really be considered a dark jedi anymore.

darklordoftech likes this.
  18. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I wouldn't mind if they show a few minor Jedi with the occasional "dark jedi".

It's a big galaxy. Rebels won't just have to deal with the Empire, but Black Sun, the Hutts, Pirates, etc.

Though I could also see a (not Mara Jade) Emperor's Hand and a Secret Vader Apprentice end up dueling it out when both run into each other while chasing the Rebels (or a minor Jedi and the Rebels). Both refusing to tell the other exactly who they are.

19. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    Bring it on, i love all of that sweet dark side crazy.

Dra--- and VanishingReality like this.
  20. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    I would really like him to get a decent death in the EU already.

21. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    I want good characters, well-told stories, and cool Star Wars junk. Don't care what pieces and parts it takes to accomplish that.

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly.

If the show kills off Ventress, I'll be their Dark Jedi.

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I doubt there will be. As with TCW, I fully expect there to be retconning, perhaps in tying the formation of the rebellion closer to the events of TCW (Onderon) vs. the previous canon of the Rebel Alliance forming relatively late during the "Dark Times" era.

As it stands there are a bunch of dark siders running around in the Emperor's employ, but in a show called "rebels" I figure it's going to be primarily about the secular underdogs organizing a resistance against an evil Empire, not of Inquisitors crossing blades with Jedi-in-hiding. Vader and the Emperor will still be there, but I'm not holding my breath for Inquisitors, hands of the Emperor, a bunch of exiled Jedi, or Starkiller tying into the formation of the Rebel Alliance.

Having said that, if Dark Jedi do show up in service of the Empire, I hope that they are differentiated more from the Sith. Asajj, Maul and Savage not being Sith all seemed like semantic issues complicated by the fact that all regarded themselves and were regarded by others as Sith at least at some point in time (Ahsoka referring to Asajj as Sith; Maul declaring himself and Savage Sith - with Maul having previously been a Sith, etc)

Even when I ask what the difference between a Sith and Dark Jedi is, the answer is often vauge: "it's the training;" "they have different philosophies;" "Sith are the strongest Dark Jedi," etc.

If I ask what the difference between Christianity and Islam is, people could give me specific ideological differences. If I ask why Asajj is not a Sith if she is apprentice to a Sith, I don't anticipate such straight forward and succinct answers, but vague generalities without examples.

If Dark Jedi show up in Rebels, I hope that the line would not be as blurred as TCW had it and that there would be a clear difference between them and someone like Vader. For instance if Vaders knows Force powers they don't (which ones?), or Vader was taught that he must aim to become stronger so that he can overthrow Palpatine while the Dark Jedi are taught to worship the Sith and never raise a hand against them, or something like that. Where maybe the Sith ideology is all about ambition, while the non-Sith Dark Jedi that have not been taught said ideology are much less involved in cutthroat ambition and are more compliant servants.

Or something like that anyway. If you are going to add more Dark Siders, make a clean boundary as to what makes a Sith a Sith and why there can only be two of them, while there is no worry about potentially hundreds of other Dark Siders.

24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I definitely agree that by the time the show nears the formation of the Alliance, proper, there should be little to no Jedi action, save the folks we already know about (namely, Master Yoda, Obi-Wan Kenobi, and, if - big "if" - they do decide to nudge the TFU story up the canon ladder to T-level, Galen Marek and Rahm Kota). To my mind, the only exception during this time would be a smattering of no-name Jedi for Vader to destroy. This means no Ahsoka or Purge-surviving Jedi creating a dissonance with the story of ANH by doing anything of any note. By this time, we already know the Jedi should be wiped out of the memories of the public-at-large, their kind virtually erased from the annals of galactic history.

That said, I think I'd rather see Rebels pick up at or very near the formation of the Empire. There's much to see, I'm sure, surrounding the Imperial's consolidation of galactic power, and starting at 19 BBY gives the writers the chance to make use of as many Jedi as they see fit (Tano, included, for those who hope to see more of her story).

And you know, Jedi and lightsaber battles wouldn't be the only benefit of starting this early in the timeline. As explained in here:

http://starwars.com/watch/front-runners-featurette.html

It seems the namesake Rebels began life as a series of many more separate groups of dissenters than we may have at first been led to believe. Listening to Filoni describe how Lucas envisioned the Onderon rebellion as a seed of what was to come makes me excited to learn more (and I'm inclined to view it as a hint of what may be shown in the new series).

And check this out, "Rebels" doesn't have to mean resistance from outsider groups, only. I highly recommend reading the 5-part Ghost Prison comic storyline. It offers a cool look into an early coup attempt on the reign of the Emperor, led by an Imperial Academy Headmaster tired of burying his beloved cadets by the hundreds in the name of feeding Palpatine's hunger for power. This story gives us another way of looking at what it could mean to be a "Rebel." I'd hate to miss out on these kind of possibilities by beginning the series long after the Empire has the galaxy almost completely within its grasp. In this sense, I tend to agree with Circular_Logic.

Oh, and Dark Jedi, and the like, early on (Maul?), Emperor's Hands (Mara Jade? If it means Ben Skywalker in VII, yes, please!) and Inquisitorius later. Yeah, gimme some of that, too. :p

Mia Mesharad and Circular_Logic like this.
  25. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    not everyone needs to die