main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Charity Bags (and Other Stuff) Through the Letterbox

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by LAJ_FETT , Oct 11, 2011.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Anyone else getting fed up with the amount of crap coming through the letterbox by non-postal employees? I've gotten three charity bags this week alone, not to mention countless other pieces of advertising that will go straight into the recycling bin. (Pizza menus, Indian menus, Chinese menus, and estate agent crap tops the list.)

The charity bags get used as trash bags. My experience in the past is that even if you fill the [expletive] things the people fail to pick the bags up on the day specified. Then it rains and the contents are only useful as garbage. I still see bags on my road that should have been picked up over a week ago.

And unless you're familiar with the charity involved you don't know if it's bogus or not. I'm fed up with these bags to the point that I don't care who they are for. If I want to donate old books or stuff I'll take them to one of the charity shops in town.

2. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It does get annoying, but bombardment is one way these organisations try to make a difference. I feel annoyed at all the wasted paper and plastic that goes into making stuff nobody is actually using.

3. old-ben-kenobi

old-ben-kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2001
    The most annoying this is that most of these so called 'charity' bags are actually for profit making collection companies who sell the clothes and only donate a small proportion of their revenue to actual registered charities. If you want to send your clothes to a good cause, the best way is to take them directly to a charity shop.

All those bags through the letterbox just get used a free bin liners in our house.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'd question how much 'bombardment' actually helps. It actually increases my hostility to the organizations doing it. They may do good work but they won't get any of my money if they are wasting it on these bags.

5. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Plus a lot of the big names (especially Red Cross) take a ridiculous amount of overheads. If I want to give to charity, then I'll do so off my own back thank you very much. Anyone at the door gets an immediate no.

6. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Oh I don't give to people at the door or the chuggers in the town center. And any charity paying an executive or consultant over 100k a year isn't getting anything either. If they can afford that they shouldn't be begging for our money.

Today's stuff through the door was three different menus for the same Indian restaurant. (Delivered by the same guy, yet!) What a waste of paper.

7. Yoshee

Yoshee Former RSA & CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2002
    I keep telling myself to collect up all the junk food flyers and go and shove them through their respective letterboxes. Have'nt done it yet mind you!

8. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, I get at least one of those through the door a day. Them and estate agents. Needless to say they all go straight into the recycling pile.