main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I.E., CA CHARITY EVENT - ANOTHER WAY CHRISTMAS - DEC 18th

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by jangosmom, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jangosmom

jangosmom Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 2, 2005
    Hey, everyone- just got off the phone with Another Way. Here's the details for their Christmas party.

It's 8 am -12 pm on the 18th. If any of you can come in costume or not, they would love us to be there. Ronnie- if you and your friend would like to do your lightsaber duel, they would love that. They asked if we did any skits or anything and I thought of you. I know this is tough for people with their jobs and getting time off, so no pressure, but I guarantee, you will walk away from this, with the real meaning of Christmas imprinted firmly in your heart!

They are starting to gather the wish lists from the kids and their counselors and they will get 10 names to us as soon as they get them. For many kids, this will be the only Christmas gifts they get. They will be presented to them by Santa at the party. The info. that will be included for each kid with pertinent info. like if they're deaf, blind etc. so we know what NOT to get, if they haven't been explicit on what they want. My contact, Susan Gomez, says that these are the poorest of their clients and so many will ask for clothes, underwear etc., because the parents can not afford these items. Some kids have CP and they are severe, so they want like stuffed animals that make noise when their hands plop down on the animal. That's the extent of their "playing" with their toys. I'll post on here when I get the names. I said we'd take 10...any that aren't picked by the group, my family will help with. We can always take on more if we need that also. If anyone wants to ask any friends from other groups who do costuming, that would be welcome.The party will be at the regional center in San Bernardino, it's near Hospitality Ln. I would like to make this something really special for them this year if at all possible. Also, they've been just giving the kids polaroids of them with Santa. I mentioned at our Oct. meeting, that this is the only picture that many of them have ever had with Santa. I mentioned to her that maybe we could get someone to take digital pictures of us with the kids and give them to them there if we have a picture printer. They loved that idea and they're going to check into doing digital pictures instead of polaroids for the kids and Santa. I have some friends that used to work with me in the past on charity stuff that are probably going to help provide music etc., and I'll see if they could help with pictures of our group etc. So, let's use this thread before the Dec. meeting to toss out ideas and get a general idea of who might be available that day etc. and we can finalize everything at the Dec. meeting. Thank you everyone for your willingness to help Another Way!

2. jedifan77

jedifan77 Jedi Master star 5

Mar 19, 2006
    I'm confused (a rather normal state for me). The headline states it's on the 18th and the post says the 20th. I need to write it on my multitude of calendars so I don't forget.

3. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    Sorry!!! I went back and edited the subject and forgot to do it in the message. I keep getting Nov. 20th, mixed up with Dec. 18th. I'm the one who's confused (senile...fill in the blank!?! lol!! If only I could upgrade my brain like a computer and add some more memory and ram....oh, the possibilities...

4. AboutaSith

AboutaSith Jedi Knight star 5

May 13, 2005
    This is going to be a great opportunity to help out.

I wont be able to make the event due to work but I will ask some of my contacts to see if they are free to help out at this event.

I'll take 2 names for definite to get something for the kids.

Thanks for getting us all the information Deb.

5. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Hey Folks,

Can we give a heads up on what people can help out with for this event.

1. Christmas Giving Tree Names
    Please add to the list below to let us know how many names you would like from the tree to donate a present for. Jangosmom will let us know when they are available so we can go shopping.

2. Volunteers
    If you would like to help at this event add your name to this list, I think it' be cool for some of our costumed members to show up in costume so the kids can get pictures.

JM, if there is anything they need for this event let me know. I wont be able to make it cos of work but if they need things like candy, photo paper, decorations etc please let us know.

1. Christmas Giving Tree Name
    AboutaSith - 2 names

2. Volunteers

6. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    I lined up one of my friends who has a digital camera and photo printer to come and take pictures of the kids with any of our costumed members.I'll ask what kind of photo paper to get so if anyone wants to help contribute that way, that would be awesome. I'm also working on putting together a background that we can use not only for this event, but future events that will make a nice "photo op spot".Not exactly sure how to do it, have several ideas in mind like a folding screen with big STARWARS SIGN at the top. I'll let you know when I work out the details to figure out what will hold up under transport the best etc. If we can't get many members to come in costume, I'm also working on getting mannequins so that I can put some of our masked costumes on them so they can be in the picture like a statue so the picture will have more in it that Ryan and me in costume. If anyone has any leads on where I can get mannequins really cheap, I'd love that info.!

7. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Let me know about the printer paper. I know someone that has a bundle of it they are selling. I'll see what size they have.

How about we use our banner for the background? Either that or maybe a black curtain with holes in it and put a white one behind it so it looks like stars. I think we'll probably have to avoid using the official Star Wars logo due to copyright issues.

I'll ask around for some more costume volunteers.

8. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I think the banner will be too busy for a background.

9. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    Alternatives?

10. han-shot-first

han-shot-first IEFF President & Minister of Propaganda star 4 VIP

May 6, 2006
    I will take 3 kids

11. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    AboutaSith - 2 names
    Han-Shot-First - 3 names

12. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I'll take 2 kids.

13. Darthsuperbatpooh

Darthsuperbatpooh Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 29, 2002
    AboutaSith - 2 names
    Han-Shot-First - 3 names
    jedifan77 - 2 names
    Darthsuperbatpooh - 2 names

14. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    What's the exact address for the event?

15. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    The address is 674 Brier Dr., San Bernarndino, CA 92408. It's at the Inland Regional Center, in their auditorium.

16. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I rescheduled a dental appt. I had for that day. Matthew's getting his wisdom teeth extracted on Saturday, so if he's doing fine (as he should be), I'll be there.

17. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    Hey, guys- here's a list of names for Another Way. I guess everyone take a look and let me know which one's you want to take on and then post here. This is a confidential list of names because they're clients of Regional Center, but I'm posting them so you can put the names on the packages. They include the siblings in families so all the children in a family will receive a gift and not be left out. If you have any questions let me know!

Rachel edit. Edited out kids name per CR's request. [face_peace]

18. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    I'll take the first 2 names on the list.

JM, once they are all taken i can ask Rachel to delete the names from the post for you.

One question, do we write the tags from Santa?

19. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    Is there any way we can find out the age and gender of the sibling?

20. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    the ages of the siblings are on the list and I think you can tell by the things they want if they are boy or girl, such as lipgloss for the girl. I know some of the names I'm unfamiliar with, if it wasn't for the fact they listed what they wanted, I would have had to inquire if they were boy or girl.

We just put their name on them, we don't need to say who it's from.

21. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    I just re-read it and figured it out. Duh! Let me take another look and pick a name or two. I'll let you know.

The story you told me of the older couple really touched me! Would warm blankets be a useful thing to donate to Another Way (besides the gifts for the kids)? If they're needed, I'll pick a couple of blankets up tomorrow since I'm going out shopping at the sales. I know they'll be at a really good price.

22. SuperB_at_Pooh

SuperB_at_Pooh Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 9, 2006
    i'll take the next 2

23. jedifan77

Mar 19, 2006
    JM, I'll take Ashley & Sofia Guerero. They're the bottom two names on your list.

Okay folks, the following 4 children are still available. If one is all you can do, that's great, buy for one. Do whatever you can. It will all be appreciated!

1 Marbella Ramirez Musical Toys, cloths size 24m Downs?s Syndrome

14 Carina Ramirez Books, CD?s/ shoes size 71/2 Sibling

11 Araceli Ramirez Books, CD, lip gloss or pants 6/7size Sibling

8 Joanna Ramirez Scooter/ Barbies or bratz doll Sibling

4 Jose Ramirez Leapfrog toys/ red car or cloths 4T Sibling

24. AboutaSith

May 13, 2005
    2 Nersy Cadena Musical Toy, Books Down's Syndrome - AboutaSith

2 Jose Alanis Hernandez Musical Toy, Legos or books Premie/ 25wk, Seizures - AboutaSith

2 Alexei Angeles Musical Toy, Push toys Ataxic Dystinetic/ Cebreal Palsy - Darthsuperbatpooh

4 Sebastian Angeles Learning Toy, Flashcards Sibling - Darthsuperbatpooh

1 Marbella Ramirez Musical Toys, cloths size 24m Downs?s Syndrome - Symina

14 Carina Ramirez Books, CD?s/ shoes size 71/2 Sibling

11 Araceli Ramirez Books, CD, lip gloss or pants 6/7size Sibling

8 Joanna Ramirez Scooter/ Barbies or bratz doll Sibling

4 Jose Ramirez Leapfrog toys/ red car or cloths 4T Sibling

14months Ashley Guerero Toy Telephone, cloths 9 months Oxygen Dependent/ 27wk premie - Jedifan77

7months Sofia Guerero Rattles, musical toy Sibling - Jedifan77

Updated
    Here we go, now it's all in one place to save any confusion.

HSF, which three kids do you wanna donate for?

If anybody else wants to dontate anything let us know, Jangosmom can get more names if needed.

25. jangosmom

Sep 2, 2005
    I'll go ahead and pick Joanna Ramirez. If the other 3 aren't taken by the middle of next week, I'll go ahead and cover those also, my family has asked about helping. I had planned on getting more kids names for them, but I'll wait to see if these get picked up or not before I do that. Thanks again to everyone for their help on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.