main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Aug 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Well, I saw this film several times already and really liked the score the second and third times round. I bought it yesterday and have been listening to it all day. I think it is easily the best Elfman score I've heard in years. It's really fun and playful but also a bit odd and strange, befitting the film quite well. After all, Depp's Wonka is the perfect blend of childlike innocence and strange creepiness... he is delightfully creepy and so is the score.

Stand out tracks for me right now are, of course, the Main Titles, Wheels In Motion, the boat music tracks and the credits which consist of largely instrumental versions of the Oompa Loompa songs for each child. Brilliant work by Elfman!

Thoughts?

2. TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR

TALL_CANS_IN_THE_AIR Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2005
    Please don't spam.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Nice spam. I've been meaning to check out the new Charlie score, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

4. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I cannot believe you barbarians have not listened to this score. The film is brilliant and so is Elfman's score. Honestly, when did I last get this excited for an Elfman score? :D

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Anyone? Please tell me I am not the only one who loves this score...

6. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I never posted here? :eek:

I love how it sounds not entirely typical for Elfman (unlike Spiderman ;)). Not having seen the movie, it lacks the connection for me, but the score is good enough that I want to see it just to see how it works with the pictures. But it already creates some ... magic. Elfmanish creepy magic ;) but magic nonetheless!

7. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Elfmanish creepy magic ;) but magic nonetheless!

Trust me... that goes with the Burton creepy magic REALLY well! :D

8. Xile

Xile Jedi Youngling

Aug 30, 2005
    Loved the movie (leaves the 1971 version for dead IMO) and enjoyed the music even more. Can't wait to get my hands on the score, maybe they will never release it in New Zealand... Too bad 'cause it sounds awesome!

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I've got it. Don't care for it much. Technically it's all right, but it seems to me somehow more mean and heartless than similar Elfman work.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Mean and heartless??? It's the first Elfman score with any magic and heart in like 10 years!

11. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    I think it is the best danny elfman score i've heard since 'nightmare before christmas' and 'big fish.'

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I think it's the best Elfman score since Batman.

13. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    I like the CTTCF score. The opening credits just does it for me. Giving that eerie and adventurous feel.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yah that track has the most plays by me in iTunes. :)

15. Zarm_Rkeeg

Zarm_Rkeeg Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 9, 2003
    I was surprised about this movie, actually. I hated the original, and was only taken to this one as part of a compromise I made with someone... buit that soundtrack really hooked me.

Right now, I'm actually scoring a short film with this as the main/villains theme- it has that wonderfully demented "Spider-man Theme Gone Wrong" sound to it.

I also like "Main Titles" as well as "Oompa-Loompa land" and "Wheels in Motion." For the songs, my favorite would be "Agustus Gloop," with a beat and style that I really love... from that, it's pretty much a descending order, and the Mike Teevee song doesn't do much for me.

All in all, a great score.

16. Draxtralia

Draxtralia Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2004
    I've found this score the most difficult Elfman score I've had to get into. Calling it the best since Batman is quite an overstatement.

17. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I find it hard to get into scores like Spiderman or Planet of the Apes that have no themes. Those scores suck. Charlie is a fantastic score. I find it magical and listenable.

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Spiderman has no theme? :confused:

19. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I left the theatre humming the Batman theme. I'd say Elfman failed to write anything memorable for Spiderman.

20. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Not every movie has to have a whistle-able theme. I'd take a Herrman score anyday above most others, and he couldn't write a melody to save himself. And some themes can over do it. See Lara's theme from Dr. Zhivago.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Spiderman should. The score was boring. Not worth owning in the least.

22. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    Planet of the Apes and Spider-Man do have themes, they're just subtle.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well then I guess I like Charlie's score because the themes are not subtle.

24. Draxtralia

Feb 28, 2004
    I found it to be too much of a rehash of Big Fish, and I heard that The Corpse Bride may as well be a compilation of everything we've heard before from Elfman. I deeply admire Elfman, but I think he's suffering a burnout. He should take a short break because his latest output is just getting really "samey".

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I haven't heard Big Fish but I feel like Charlie is the first Elfman score in at least a decade (except Good Will Hunting) that isn't tired and boring.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.