Sth Bend, IN Charlie Weiss

Discussion in 'Mid West Regional Discussion' started by vaderisone, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vaderisone Jedi Master

star 4
    I heard a juicy tidbit today, Weiss is out, but not sure when. After the last several debacles Notre Dame officials call hiring, they are tyring a new strategy. The school wants to make sure they lock up their guy first, once that is done Charlie is out. However, if a suitable replacement is not found, he will coach next year.

Take it for what it is worth.
  2. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
    Mark May (ESPN) says he thinks Charlie will be back.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4672428&categoryid=2564308

(May's comments begin with 54 seconds left in the clip)
  3. Xmaveric Force Ghost

star 5
    They have learned from the past. WEIS is safe until an A+ replacement can be found.
  4. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
    Agreed. They cannot afford to pick another "top" coordinator, a barely-above-.500 coach of a lower-tier Division I team, or anyone from the NFL. The next ND head coach needs to be a PROVEN winner at the elite level of D1 football.
  5. vaderisone Jedi Master

star 4
    Meyer is out...came out and announced today, just starting to get that vibe that ND is going to blow it again...the only thing more for sure than ND blowing a coaching hire is meeting at Mav's each year for 'the Mutha'
  6. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
    Brian Kelly, for sure. He is a true winner and I could actually see him bring the Irish back to glory.
  7. Xmaveric Force Ghost

star 5
    Kelly would be a good fit.
  8. ToneLoc Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally, I like Meyer's, and I think he will listen to ND offers. Kelly, I am not sure about. What other college's has he proven to be a winner? Also, I think Harbaugh would be an excellent fit, and Stanford hasn't locked him up yet.
  9. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
    Brian Kelly's coaching record from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kelly_%28coach%29#Coaching_record

Pretty impressive, especially at Grand Valley State - and he proved he can step up with what he's done at Cincy. Assuming ND makes a change, they need to avoid the Willingham example. He was 44-36-1 at Stanford before he was hired at ND - not exactly a stellar record, and it should be no surprise he went 21-15 at ND.

10. vaderisone Jedi Master

star 4
    Kelly would be an awesome hire, unfortunately he made some poor comments several years ago and I don't think ND will go down that path, at least that is what I was told this week. So many rumors out there right now, hard to know what is true.
  11. Xmaveric Force Ghost

star 5
    Kelly seems the most attainable of the list. I keep my own list, and it is

Brian Kelly - Most likely choice, available, and Catholic. He has a decent record but hasn't had time to prove his merit in D1 football yet.

Jim Harbaugh - Kicking ass at Stanford. Went for 2 against USC even though they were up by 27 points. But, he's a Michigan guy. And if he returns to the midwest, it will be for the big M.

Les Miles - Might be too soon to call it the End for Miles at LSU, but he's no Nick Saban. He's made fundamental coaching mistakes and he might be out of a job soon. However, if he were to leave LSU, Michigan would be the most likely recipient.

Bob Stoops - Catholic. 6-5 this season, making OU fans angry. Rumor has it he's always wanted to coach at ND.

Nick Saban - Catholic. That's about the only reason. So successful at Bama it is doubtful anything would pull him away.

Urban Meyer - Always said it's his dream job. But he has a young family he doesn't want to uproot. Plus he's said nothing but good things about Florida. As someone mentioned earlier, he already squashed the rumors.

Charlie Weis - The rumored $18 million buyout may buy him another year. And he certainly won't quit and risk sacrificing all that cash. There are a few OC positions open in the NFL that could call on him, but would he take them?
  12. ToneLoc Jedi Master

star 4

I was watching CSN last night, the roundtable mention that they need to get a high profile coach with hardware already under their belt. Otherwise, they will become another laughing stock. Personally, I like Meyers, and Harbaugh.
  13. CarboniteHan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Personally, I like broccoli.
  14. vaderisone Jedi Master

star 4
    Personally Brocoli is only okay, what about carrots...

as a non-ND fan I continue to laugh that ND fans continue to bring in Urban Meyer
  15. CarboniteHan Jedi Grand Master

star 3

Are you saying that Urban Meyer is broccoli?
  16. vaderisone Jedi Master

star 4
    he is flashy, I think he is more of one of the exotic vegetables, Avacado
  17. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
  18. vaderisone Jedi Master

star 4
  19. ToneLoc Jedi Master

star 4
    this is what I expect from Michigan St. Fans
  20. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
    Indeed - a thorough knowledge of vegetables of the world. Comes from a world-class education.
  21. CarboniteHan Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    From Weis to veggies. Wadda thread!
  22. mercsailor Force Ghost

star 2
  23. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
    Lots of talk about who's next at ND, but the real question is - where will Charlie go?
  24. ToneLoc Jedi Master

star 4
    I think he will go back to New England.
  25. TAUNTAUN_WE Force Ghost

star 4
    Wow, that would be something.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.