main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sth Bend, IN Charlie Weiss

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by vaderisone, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vaderisone

vaderisone Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2002
    I heard a juicy tidbit today, Weiss is out, but not sure when. After the last several debacles Notre Dame officials call hiring, they are tyring a new strategy. The school wants to make sure they lock up their guy first, once that is done Charlie is out. However, if a suitable replacement is not found, he will coach next year.

Take it for what it is worth.

2. TAUNTAUN_WE

TAUNTAUN_WE Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 23, 2002
    Mark May (ESPN) says he thinks Charlie will be back.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=4672428&categoryid=2564308

(May's comments begin with 54 seconds left in the clip)

3. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    They have learned from the past. WEIS is safe until an A+ replacement can be found.

4. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Agreed. They cannot afford to pick another "top" coordinator, a barely-above-.500 coach of a lower-tier Division I team, or anyone from the NFL. The next ND head coach needs to be a PROVEN winner at the elite level of D1 football.

5. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    Meyer is out...came out and announced today, just starting to get that vibe that ND is going to blow it again...the only thing more for sure than ND blowing a coaching hire is meeting at Mav's each year for 'the Mutha'

6. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Brian Kelly, for sure. He is a true winner and I could actually see him bring the Irish back to glory.

7. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Kelly would be a good fit.

8. ToneLoc

ToneLoc Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2002
    Personally, I like Meyer's, and I think he will listen to ND offers. Kelly, I am not sure about. What other college's has he proven to be a winner? Also, I think Harbaugh would be an excellent fit, and Stanford hasn't locked him up yet.

9. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Brian Kelly's coaching record from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kelly_%28coach%29#Coaching_record

Pretty impressive, especially at Grand Valley State - and he proved he can step up with what he's done at Cincy. Assuming ND makes a change, they need to avoid the Willingham example. He was 44-36-1 at Stanford before he was hired at ND - not exactly a stellar record, and it should be no surprise he went 21-15 at ND.

10. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    Kelly would be an awesome hire, unfortunately he made some poor comments several years ago and I don't think ND will go down that path, at least that is what I was told this week. So many rumors out there right now, hard to know what is true.

11. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Kelly seems the most attainable of the list. I keep my own list, and it is

Brian Kelly - Most likely choice, available, and Catholic. He has a decent record but hasn't had time to prove his merit in D1 football yet.

Jim Harbaugh - Kicking ass at Stanford. Went for 2 against USC even though they were up by 27 points. But, he's a Michigan guy. And if he returns to the midwest, it will be for the big M.

Les Miles - Might be too soon to call it the End for Miles at LSU, but he's no Nick Saban. He's made fundamental coaching mistakes and he might be out of a job soon. However, if he were to leave LSU, Michigan would be the most likely recipient.

Bob Stoops - Catholic. 6-5 this season, making OU fans angry. Rumor has it he's always wanted to coach at ND.

Nick Saban - Catholic. That's about the only reason. So successful at Bama it is doubtful anything would pull him away.

Urban Meyer - Always said it's his dream job. But he has a young family he doesn't want to uproot. Plus he's said nothing but good things about Florida. As someone mentioned earlier, he already squashed the rumors.

Charlie Weis - The rumored $18 million buyout may buy him another year. And he certainly won't quit and risk sacrificing all that cash. There are a few OC positions open in the NFL that could call on him, but would he take them?

12. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002

I was watching CSN last night, the roundtable mention that they need to get a high profile coach with hardware already under their belt. Otherwise, they will become another laughing stock. Personally, I like Meyers, and Harbaugh.

13. CarboniteHan

CarboniteHan Jedi Knight star 3

May 11, 2007
    Personally, I like broccoli.

14. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    Personally Brocoli is only okay, what about carrots...

as a non-ND fan I continue to laugh that ND fans continue to bring in Urban Meyer

15. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007

Are you saying that Urban Meyer is broccoli?

16. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    he is flashy, I think he is more of one of the exotic vegetables, Avacado

17. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    mmmm....guacamole!

18. vaderisone

Jul 21, 2002
    like I said exotic

19. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    this is what I expect from Michigan St. Fans

20. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Indeed - a thorough knowledge of vegetables of the world. Comes from a world-class education.

21. CarboniteHan

May 11, 2007
    From Weis to veggies. Wadda thread!

22. mercsailor

mercsailor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 18, 2002
  23. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Lots of talk about who's next at ND, but the real question is - where will Charlie go?

24. ToneLoc

May 16, 2002
    I think he will go back to New England.

25. TAUNTAUN_WE

May 23, 2002
    Wow, that would be something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.