main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[ Chasing Midnight ]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by TheFallen, Aug 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheFallen

TheFallen Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Chasing Midnight

It wasn't supposed to end this way.

It was all that Obi-Wan Kenobi could think about at the exact moment that he saw the column of energy plunge into his Master's chest. He could still feel, of course - he felt the rage coursing through his veins that he knew that he had to keep down if he were to possibly defeat the beast in front of him. Yes, he could definitely still feel. How could one not feel rage - utter and overwhelming rage - at seeing one's mentor struck down in front of them? But he could think of nothing other than the fact that his 13-year relationship with Qui-Gon Jinn was not supposed to end this way.

He was like his father. He had become distant over the past year - but it was a natural process. It was the way of things in the Jedi Order - the slow drying of their bond before finally breaking it off as the Padawan became a Knight. But he was still the invincible figure in Obi-Wan's life that he never thought he'd lose. It was an incompetent thought, and if he really stopped to think about it, he would have recognized it as such. It had been proven over and over again in their lives that no one was invincible. In fact, everyone was all to frail.

Through all of this, he found it odd to find that Qui-Gon smiled just a little when his knees hit the floor.

It was dismissed quickly when the shields cycled down and he was immediately carving his way through the Sith's seemingly flawless defenses. He had been taught well, and he would prevail, if only for his Master's memory. The all-consuming thoughts of his Master's dying breaths being taken only feet away from him fed the energy into his soul that he needed to win. It gave him the boost he needed to fight back against the sheer darkness and win for his Master's sake - not his sake, never his sake.

When he finally dropped next to the crumpled body of his Master, he knew deep within his mind, that it was too late. He also knew something else, something that was faster to enter his mind and penetrate his numb barricade against the death in front of him and tell him what to do, than any other thought could ever have.

It hadn't been attempted in centuries. It should have never been used again. The trading of one death for another was an unsacred practice in the Jedi, and was an almost renouncement worthy blasphemy. If it was the will of the Force for one to die - who was one man to bend fate to his will?

He would spend an eternity in a place between life and death - a purgatory for the martyrs of this kind. It didn't register, of course - everything else had been shoved to the back of his mind. All he had to do was focus, and he could change this fate - he would make this outcome the way it was supposed to be. He would chase away the midnight and keep the darkness at bay in his self imposed prison where no one else could see it but him.

When he began to pour his very energy and life into the dying man in front of him, he was at first met by resistance - a resistance that he would later learn was facade. He broke through the weak shield and fire lit upon his veins while he forcibly strangled the life out of himself and shunted it into his Master's waiting vessel.

It hurt. It definitely hurt. There weren't words to describe the agony, and there was no need for him to try. Even if he was successful, there would be no one to tell. He just kept pushing and when he started to become weak, he collapsed with shallow breaths bent over Master Jinn's body. When he was past the point of no return, he saw it all. The last thing he would see was the truth, shunted to him from the supposedly dying man below him.

He saw all of the exchanged messages between his Master and the dark Lord. He saw all of the covert agendas that he had made with the Sith. His Master was a Sith. He had just saved a Sith. He hadn't even really saved him, Obi-Wan realized. It had all been a hoax - perpetrated by the darkness. Obi-Wan wanted to pull back, to reel his thoughts out of hi

2. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Great post, Fallen. I take it this is a one-poster. What a shame ... :_|

3. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    :eek: How tragic . . . :_|

4. Master_Comedy_Kitty

Master_Comedy_Kitty Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2002
    Ooooooh...so pretty....love the title...OH MY GOD! YOU KILLED OBI-WAN! Darth Puffs is back...and killing people. What a surprise. Did Obi's dog get it again too?

5. sheleigh

sheleigh Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 31, 2002
    Ah... [face_shocked] that is...

*incoherent mumbling*

Brilliant. :_|

6. CalaisKenobi

CalaisKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 15, 2002
    Well... I bet Obi's dog lived, at least until Qui-Gon and Anakin got back to Coruscant. Then they probably ate it or something else horribly dark and tragic ;)

Great job Bekka!

7. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Wow. I really didn't expect all of you to read. :) Thanks for all of the nice feedback! I heart you, CK - you're the best in the whole wide board world. ;)

8. Psycho-Freak

Psycho-Freak Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    :eek: You killed him! I should have seen that coming.

Amazing!

9. Chaos_Rose

Chaos_Rose Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    Ah, Darth Puffs is in the mood again... [face_devil]

Awesome post, Bekka!

10. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Well done. Always interesting reading unique POVs to select sceens.

I also love your quote selection from Road to Perdition. Paul Newman's last line in that movie was pretty good, too.

11. Flashbacca

Flashbacca Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    WaaaaaaaHooooooo - I knew if I followed you long enough you would post something. :D :D See, all intelligent Wookies know that you can't keep a good writer down. ;)

Coming to a theatre near you:
    Return of Darth Puffs PG-13

Hey I like this - are you going to continue?
    *looks hopefully at screen*

uhm - since you have given Obi a dog, don't you think you should give the poor thing a name?

12. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    I don't I should bother giving it a name. It always bites the dust anyway... [face_plain]

Knight-Ander - I just saw Road to Perdition and I really loved that line - I also thought his last line in the movie was very fitting. :)

Wow - I have the whole of my series's readers in here. :) Nice to see you all! ;)

13. Midnightetak

Midnightetak Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 28, 2001
    WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!
    *loves the fiction*
    Dat's Great Stuff!

-Midnightetak

14. JediClare

JediClare Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2001
    What the Sithing [-CENSORED-]!! :eek:

You don't touch Qui-Gon!! Yoda can be a Sith, Luke can be a Sith, Anakin will be a Sith - heck, maybe (though not a particularly cherished thought) even Obi-Wan - but NOT QUI-GON!!

Okay, I'm done.

Through all of this, he found it odd to find that Qui-Gon smiled just a little when his knees hit the floor.

I knew my sense of forboding when I read this line would be justified later in the story. I knew it.

Anyway...great job. :)

15. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Fallen, that was so good, great even, and the ending what a surprise. Loved it. 7

16. happygolucky

happygolucky Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 3, 2002
    *Snerk* Sith? Qui-Gon? I didn't know it could be done...

APPARENTLY I WAS WRONG!! FANTASTIC!!!!

17. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    Thank you all, again. :D JediClare, you know you're in denial. :p This plot bunny just wouldn't hop away. I had to write it, lest it eat me.

18. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    TF - I always knew there was a reason I liked you - :D Qui-Gon as a Sith? [face_love] I LOVE IT! But then, you probably knew that anyway.

And I must say that - no matter whether the Master is simply stupid, saintly or sithly, it's always Obi-WAn that pays the price.

Holy Cow.

Excellent job, TF. Truly excellent.

CYN

19. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
  20. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    *still looking hopefully at the screen*

21. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    I don't like the insolent tone you took when posting those faces, JediClare. I'm quite disappointed. :p

-- Falls out of chair and then blushes before crawling back up --

Heh, heh. [face_blush] You know I wrote this snickering to myself just thinking about how you would enjoy Sith Qui-Gon, CYN. :D

I don't know what you're looking for, Flashbacca. It's my birthday, I should get to kick back, but nooo. I have a watery-eyed wookie on my hands. ;) :p

22. Flashbacca

Jun 11, 2002
    UmmmmHmmmmm - a watery eyed, sniffling, whiney wookie, no less. :D

Want I should sing Happy Birthday to you again?

Seriously, you may take the rest of the day off *nods graciously* but we will expect you to be slaving over your hot keyboard first thing tomorrow morning. :p ;)
    otherwise, will send out cloned Siths***** army to, uhm, encourage you. :lol ;)

*still staring somewhat hopefully at screen*

23. JediClare

Oct 8, 2001
    I don't like the insolent tone you took when posting those faces, JediClare. I'm quite disappointed.

What?

Don't worry, I like the story. It's just that sithly Qui-Gon depresses me a little. But since it's necessary to the story... :D

24. TheFallen

Nov 27, 2001
    You know you like it, JediClare. Soon - you will be with US. You will hate Qui-Gon in a subconcious way. ;)

I mean...

Heh heh.

[face_plain]

25. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    That was...

*looks up better word for 'brilliant'*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.