main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Chat thread-Just a American who'd like to get to know some of his neighbors

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SaberGiiett7, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Hello.I just would like to get to know some Canadians.So hows everyone doing?

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I'm doing OK. You?

What state are you in?

You want to get to know me? Well, I'm 18, I'm a warehouse worker, and I live about 100 miles northeast of Detroit.

3. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    I'm in New York.Upstate not near the city.I'm fifteen.

4. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    And you have an interest in your backwards neighbours to the north? I don't know how many replies you'll get to this thread. Only about half of us have electricity. Of that, half have the computer, and half of those have the internet, and half of those are experiencing a blizzard so there's no power. So good luck! ;)

5. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    I can't believe you making fun of your country like that!But other than that,I see.

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Making fun of Canada? What makes you think that? I'm just telling the truth.

Do you know why hockey is so popular up here? It's the only form of entertainment for the 90% of Canadians who don't know what a TV is. That's also why CBC has such low ratings.

We're also communist and we live in igloos. We have guns, but only for scaring the polar bearsoff. Anything else you'd like to know?

//waits for my comrades to shove me in the room with the padded walls ;)

Actually, in all seriousness, I'm very patriotic. I think jokes about Canada are hilarious, but only if said by a Canadian. Otherwise, I get offended. Yes, it's a double standard. Live with it. :p

Anyway, there's about a half dozen regulars here. They should be stopping in within the next 24 hours, so don't forget about your thread up here in the Great White North!

EDIT: To any Canadians who are reading this: pick up a copy of "How to be a Canadian (even if you already are one)" by Ian and Will Ferguson. 225 pages of Canadian bashing goodness. As patriotic as I am, I find it absolutely hilarious. Not once was I offended while reading it, and I read the whole thing cover to cover.

EDIT 2: Can a mod fix the spelling in the thread title? It just looks so... so... unedumucated. (only those who follow politics will get that one. Don't think I'm a dyslexic) :p

7. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Got it.Now I understand why you guys wipe the floor with us in Hockey!But you must admit alot of your country has become built up.With Toronto and everything surrounding it in about a 100 mile radius being the most.
    I respect you guyzes support militarialy for the War!

8. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    You know, I'm really starting to like you (not that way!). :)

Thank you very, very much for your respect. Most Americans don't even know we're there, so it's a little upsetting at times. When an American pilot killed 4 Canadian soldiers, there was no formal apology from President Bush. The media coverage was so low, I hear (from very reputable sources) that many Americans still didn't know we're there, fighting too. Good to know some people still care. :)

As for hockey... you would not believe how huge it is here. It's bigger than the Superbowl in the States. Bigger than the World Cup in Europe. It's a part of our heritage and our culture. Before the radio, it really was the only source of entertainment for many. There are two events in the world of hockey that have gone down in history as great moments in Canadian history. This shows our devotion to the game. They are our Olympic victories over the USSR in in the 1970s, and the victory over the USA in 2002. The latter was especially important to many because, with 24 out of 30 NHL teams being American-based, and with 2 of our teams being American owned, (Vancouver and Montrela), many Canadians feel our game was stolen from us. We proved that we're still the best in Salt Lake City, and that is very important to many of us. You should have seen the parties. It was an early 4th of July! Many people were wearing flags to school the next day. It was quite amazing. I lived in a small town at the time, and during the game, the streets were deserted. Afterward, everyone was out honking their horns. Everyone with a TV, that is. ;)

I must admit much of my country is built up? Of course! What country isn't? We're one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world though. In my opinion, we could stand to be built up a little more. We have to be competitive in the global economy. Toronto... that city is amazing. I'm closer to Detroit than I am to Toronto, and I still consider my city to be a suburb sometimes! But, not all of Canada is like that. Take BC, for example, where I spent the last 10 years of my life before moving to Ontario. Almost the entire province is one big forest.

9. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    I've only been to Canada once.(Southern New Brunswick).My brother lives only a hour away from Toronto.He said its a awesome city.Yeah you'll have to excuse our Pres.He's been lapsing a bit.But I must tell you many Americans are truly remorsful about what happend to your soliders.I would suppose you heard about the innocent civilians dieing also?But tragedys like that are enevitiable in war.The U.S Hockey team had quite a run-in with the USSR team back in the eightys also.We pulled off a victory when everybody thought it was simply impossible.Your guyze's victory in Salt Lake City was we'll earned.I remember watching that game.The last fifteen minutes we got killed by your defense!Your team was'ent letting nottin by.

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    We scored twice in the third period, even though the American team really poured on the steam. It was quite amazing. I could see that America was trying hard, but Canada was just more talented. Did you hear Gretzky's speech? "Everyone wants Canada to lose, except Canadians and Canada fans..."

I did hear about the thousands of civilians that have been killed so far in this campaign. It deeply saddens me. I know we're fighting for a just cause, but shouldn't the American military be a little more careful? This isn't helping public relations, and low PR is what causes terrorism in the first place. I just hope someone stops Bush before he starts attacking other countries. If Iraq is attacked, American blood will be spilled. I guarantee it. I just think he needs to cool off a bit. He's just acting too radically.

Anyway, where abouts does your brother live? Peterburough?

11. AT-ST_DRIVER

AT-ST_DRIVER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 1, 2001
    ima cool guy, mom mom told me so.my friend asked me to show him my star wars card collection, he ripped them up and told me i was fake, NO< NO ITS NOT FAKE! LUKE SKYWALKER IS REAL!!

12. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    My brother lives in Rochchester New York.Only around 200 inocents have died I believe then again i'm sure.Bush is trigger happy...however I would much rather have him in under these situations than the guy he ran againest.You don't know the half of it Bush is using the war for political gain he does'ent even talk about any issues besides it!All you hear from him is the war.How good is your Prime Minister?Oh yeah is Universal healthcare work well?Both teams wanted to win that game...bad.But I do believe you had a superior team and on top of that a greater desire to win.As for Iraq you want to know sometime terriable our media as exposed our attack plans already.Thats not right and could end up costing not only U.S but Canadians lifes!

13. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    At-st have you been intiated into the janson club yet?

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    The freedoms he is taking away also shows his quest for political gain. All these new agencies and such... privacy and all that seems to be rapidly going out the window.

That was incredibly stupid for the media to do that. I have always had a very low respect for the media. They'll do just about anything for a story.

15. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Well I suppose he would argu that the Democrats are for big government.

16. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    ima cool guy, mom mom told me so.my friend asked me to show him my star wars card collection, he ripped them up and told me i was fake, NO< NO ITS NOT FAKE! LUKE SKYWALKER IS REAL!!

WTF!?!?! i didn't write that! i'll bet it was my little brother... someone's gettin' a beatin'...

17. Sar-Tamber-lac

Sar-Tamber-lac Jedi Master star 5

May 24, 2002
    AT60...geez...ya know, nothing in your posts surprised me!! From the spell bashing, to the Canadian jokes... :p to you!!!

LOL...now for those who don't know, as AT does, I'm only jokin with him! Welcome to one American from another! Be careful around here...some of these people are pretty relentless when it comes to their pursuit against Americans...

*eyeballs AT60* ;)

18. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    We need to call Driver something different than AT. It's getting really confusing. How about Driver? Or ST? or ATD? or ATSTD? Anything but AT. :p

19. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    LOL...why don't we just call him Adam?

20. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Or you can call me Chris. Doesn't matter to me.

21. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Can call me Micah

22. Sar-Tamber-lac

May 24, 2002
    Woohoo! Real names!! Call me Tammy. :)

Error: Only 1 message post per minute is allowed.

GRRRRRR!!!!!! :mad:

23. AT-ST_DRIVER

Sep 1, 2001
    Call me Adam, if you must. :p also, you can call my little brother 'dead'. i bet him up for posting as me. :)

24. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    How did your bother know where to post, Adam? Methinks someone was drinking and is trying to cover it up.... ;)

25. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    You told your brother your password Adam?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.