main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Chat thread-Just a American who'd like to get to know some of his neighbors

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by SaberGiiett7, Aug 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaberGiiett7

SaberGiiett7 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 2, 2002
    Yeah 100!

Lake Placid,nice place.I live 100 or so miles away.

2. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    From what I saw of NY, it was nice. Of course, I only saw a small part of it. I'm not a fan of big cities, so I don't think I'd like the NYC area.

____" AT60 "____

3. Jedi_Frodo_Baggins

Jedi_Frodo_Baggins Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 16, 2002
    Hi everyone.

Well I am a Canadian. Yep.

I'm also not a fan of big cities. I like that I live in the country even though my neighbour is extremely noisy.

He has bull dosers and stuff going all day and there is a giant dirt mound next to the fence separating us.

4. Grand-Admiral_Stan

Grand-Admiral_Stan Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2002
    live in NB and not much happens here .. go fiquer eh --

5. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    So thats how you guys write your eh's.

6. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    How else would you write them?

Proper pronunciation is "ey", btw. NOT "ay". Especially not "aye".

Yes, I know the periods belong inside the quotes. No, I do not agree with that English rule. :p

____" AT60 "____

7. Lady_Lucas

Lady_Lucas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    Thank you admiral teacher for that little tidbit! ;)

8. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
  9. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    Saber why all this obsession with eh? You don't see the Canadians obsessed with Y'all!!! :)

10. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Ok i'll drop it.I don't say Y'all though.

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Obsessed with eh, eh? So you want to learn more, eh? OK. I'll tell you the secrets to "Eh" that most foreigners only wish they knew...

NOTE: I know this is long, but at least read as far as the AA dialogue. You'll be glad you did.

First, a fable. The tribes of Gilead were at war with the Ephraimites. Gilead controls the mountain passes, and thousands of Ephraimities - indestinguishable in appearance from the Gileadites - attempts to get through. We join the story already in progress.

When those Ephraimities which were escaped said, "Let me go over" ... the men of Gildead said unto them, "Art thou an Ephraimite?" If he said, "Nay," then they said unto him, "Say now Shibboleth." An he said "Sibboleth" for he could not frame to pronounce it right. Then they took him, and slew him at the passage of Jordan: and there fell at that time of the Ephraimites forty and two thousand. - Judges 12:5-6

Aside from the obvious theological lessons and the ethical questions that were raised ("What if it was just some poor Gileadite with a speech inpediment?"), this biblical tale has given us a very useful term: shibboleth, meaning "a distinct word or pronounciation that sets one group apart from another."

In Canada, the national shibboleth is as elemental as the first letter in the alphabet, as ineffable as an autumn rain, as elusive as a summer sigh. In a word: eh?

Eh? is what separates Canadians from the unwashed, envious hordes outside their national boundaries. (You know who you are.) Eh? is the secret password the cross-Canada countersign, a two-letter, single-syllable symphony that takes years of diligent study to master. It must flow naturally into the sentance. It must never stand out, never call attention to itself - and yet must remain inextricably linked to the harmonial whole. It should trip melodiously off the tongue. "Howzit goin', eh?"

Canada's multilayered, contextual use of eh? is often compared to the Anerican use of huh?. This is erronous. Americans don't have what it takes to wield an eh?. That may sound harsh, but it's true. I have a whole slew of thick-tongued, slack-jawed American cousins who have never mastered the intricacies of end consonants. Simple sentances like "That was priddy good, eh?" come out as one extended vowel movement: "Thaa wuyh raal guh, huh?"

To make matters even worse, for one (blessedly brief) moment, Canadian comedians Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas, in their Canuck-caricature roles of Bob 'n' Doug McKenzie, were big hits south of the border. You may remember them. They had a segment in SCTV called "Great White North" which mainly involved them sitting around in toques and parkas, drinking beer and saying things like "Take off, eh?" Many Canadians mistook this for a documentary.

Bob 'n' Doug were, however, quite popular in the USA, and so, for one long summer, I had to endure the visiting American cousins imitating them in an apparent effort to blend in with the rustics. It didn't work. Americans simply cannot speak Canadian. Their eh?s always come out too nasally, too loud and too self-conscious. ("So how's it going, AYE?" as opposed to "Howzit goin', eh?") If the US and Canada ever go to war, this difference is going to come in very handy. "You wouldn't be a spy now, would'ja?" "Who, me? No way... AYE?" Sound of gunfire, followed by a dying gasp: "Huuuhh?"

This scenario is not as far-fetched as it sounds. According to an article by Harold B. Allen in Canadian English: Origins and Structures (this is a real author and a real article), the use of eh "is so exclusively a Canadian feature that immigration officials use it as an identifying clue." Scary, eh? Mind you, Allen doesn't make clear whether it is used by Canadian immigration officials to allow Canadians in, or by foreign immigration officials to keep Canadians out.

Regardless, the use of this exclamation remains the clearest badge of Canadian citizenship, what the BBC called Canada's "national tic": the expressive, habitual, glorious eh?

In it, one finds hints of the antional charac

12. vaderdude_3

vaderdude_3 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2002
    whoa, all of a sudden my sentence enders have a new meaning, eh?

13. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    How long did that take you?

14. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    About half of it is reposted from several months back. I saved it to my computer for an event such as this. The other half was added today. All in all... quite a while. You better like it. :p

____" AT60 "____ has too much time on his hands.

15. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    holie shnikes! That was a very LONG and detailed explanation! 8-}

I learned something new today! [face_laugh]

16. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
  17. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    Eh? is the secret password the cross-Canada countersign, a two-letter, single-syllable symphony that takes years of diligent study to master.

That part is especially true. I didn't start using the word until 8 years after I immigrated. Seriously.

____" AT60 "____ has mastered eh, eh?

18. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    [face_laugh] You so silly! 8-}

19. SaberGiiett7

Jul 2, 2002
    Hello y'all.

20. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
  21. KitFist0

KitFist0 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2001
    Eh ! eh.

22. Admiral_Thrawn60

Jul 8, 2000
    AA, eh?

____" AT60 "____ is showing that the stuff he posted above is true. ;)

23. Lady_Lucas

Mar 28, 2002
    AA=Alcoholics Anynomous

AAA=Americain Automobile Association
    (CAA) for Canada

AAAA=Angel's Awesome Attribution Analogy

AAAAA=Admiral's Accurate Assuming and
    Aspiration.

SEE all the things you can do with AA..EH? 8-}

24. Admiral_Thrawn60