main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chatt, TN Chattooine Outer-Rim Lookouts

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by Vesper2112, Jun 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vesper2112

Vesper2112 FF President & CR, Chattanooga, TN star 4

Nov 14, 2003
    First of all, thanks for dropping by. If you're interested in joining our group, I'd strongly suggest you go over to www.chattooine.com to get to our website. That is where you'll find the latest information as to what we have going on along with pictures from our past events and of course... our message board "Mos Nooga Cantina" where most of us do all our talking. ;) So please... come on over, sign up on the message boards and see what we're all about.

We've been around since (officially) August of 2004. We have monthly meetings at The Rave theater in East Ridge and Game Nights every Thursday at The Dragon Caves on Lee Hwy. We've had other "special" outings as we've had a bowling night, a paitball day, a "build-a-prop" day where we all made lightsabers. We recently went to Knoxville for AdventureCon and have a fan table reserved for DragonCon (which we'll be sharing with the Birmingham FanForce). For the premier of Revenge of the Sith, we had a 3 day event in which we dressed up in costumes, held lightsaber duels and demos before each movie showing, had SW Miniatures and Attacktix demonstrations, a video game tournament and a costume contest. Kind of like a mini-con. We were in the Chattanooga Times Free Press a couple of times and in the news as well. We're still riding that wave and would like to continue to make our presence known throughout the Chattanooga area. Right now, we've settled on a logo for a t-shirt design but we're also looking at other pictures or images or whatever to go along with it. DragonCon isn't too far away so we're also looking at what we can do for our fan table. Anyway, that's just a small taste of what's going on. Again... please visit out website for more info. See ya there!

2. mr_nightmarez

mr_nightmarez Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 20, 2003
  3. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
  4. mr_nightmarez

Oct 20, 2003
    [face_monkey]Monkey BUMP

5. mr_nightmarez

Oct 20, 2003
  6. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Bumpity Bump Bump

8-} [face_flag] 8-}

7. mr_nightmarez

Oct 20, 2003
  8. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
  9. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Happy New Year everyone! =D=

Thought I'd not only BUMP this thread, but actually type in something different.

Actually, let me first remind everyone that our main website is at . That's where we have member profiles, pictures of past happenings and all that stuff. From there, you can also get to our main message board which we call "Mos Nooga Cantina" (which is NOT dead despite another thread title... lol). Here's a direct link to the forum: .

With that out of the way, there's some cool stuff going on in 2007 and we haven't even really got to planning anything yet. First of all, Chattacon is January 26-28 (). Kevin J Anderson is the guest of honor! We've submitted a ton of panels and demos to their programming people, so we're waiting to see how big a role we'll have with them this year. Last year, we held our first Star Wars vs Star Trek debate. As a warm up, we had members of the 501st go up against the Klingons. Everyone survived and (imho) was the best panel at Chattacon. We also were on Don Welch's show "This N That" to promote it and had a TV crew cover the actual debate held the Monday after the Con at Books-a-Million near Hamilton Place Mall. This year, we planned to have the actual debate AT the con, so if you think you can convinve the crowd that your franchise is better than the other... come on out and be heard!

Of course, we'll make the road trip to Knoxville, TN in June for AdventureCon. Lots of Star Wars guests at this one, plus a really strong Star Wars general presence as well. We had a fan table there last year and we may again this time. The Con is also expanding, so this should be a much bigger event than in years past.

DragonCon is always a biggie. If you're free around Labor Day, then you should really see what the biggest convention in the SouthEast is (and possibly 2nd in the world next to the San Diego Comic Con).

Beside Conventions, we have our monthly meetings every 2nd Monday of the month at 6:00pm. These are held at the Rave Theater's party room (East Ridge - you can see it from I-24). The meetings are normally about an hour long and afterwards, we all see a movie (courtesy of the Rave).

In the past, we've had what we called "Game Nights" which turned into (more or less) an RPG session. Now that the campaign is over with and everyone's had a break, it may be time to bring back Game Night to where the focus is on variety. Munchkin is fun, and I've been playing Zombies!!! a lot latley. Plus there's always SW miniatures, Trivial Pursuit and tons of other games out there.

We've had "build-a-prop" days in the past and we've always wanted to do something more regular, so we're going to try to come up with a schedule and make this more structured so everyone can try to plan around it. Same goes with the roller skating (or bowling, or mini-golf, or paintball...).

There's lots of opportunities to go to school festivals and such. We have a Jedi Academy that we can put the kids through and may help get the parents interested in us as well. On a related note, we have several costumers that help with getting a costume together. (My son's Mandalorian armor is made from a plastic trash can... You'd be amazed at what you can do with plastic).

We also want to start getting ideas together for a parade float. Yes, it's never too early to be thinking about this.

We now have patches! [image=http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/Eelem/Patches-1.jpg] $2.00 each or 3 for $5.00! Now to tackle t-shirts...

Anyway, you get the idea... 2007 will also (hopefully) see some more development for the Star Wars live action TV show and the 'toon. Of course, we're not just fans of Star Wars. Heroes, Battlestar Galactica and all the other great stuff out there may warrant a movie marathon at some point. Here's to a great 2007! (clink)

10. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Next meeting: Monday, March 12th @ 6:00pm - The Rave Theater

See ya there! 8-}

11. Southernjedi

Southernjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Hey Jeff!! I saw your story in the paper! Cool!

12. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    Jeff had a story in the paper??!!? linky?? :)

*smacks OPPM* [face_not_talking]

13. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Can't find a link! :_|

The basics was that I was asked to give my opinion on the new redesign of www.starwars.com and specifically what I thought of the new "Mash-Up" feature. I figured he sent several e-mails out, so I gave him a short 1 paragraph reply (which is very short for me) and I guess I was lucky enough to have a few quotes pulled from it. Derrek (Yogi) also got in there! Anyway, we got a plug in for Chattooine, so that was good! [face_dancing]

BTW, good to hear from you, southernjedi! Also, glad to see you back online, Sarka!

You know... elections are coming up and it's all wide open! You want it? O:)

14. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    i want it....except i don't live there, so i can't have it! :( :p ...it's just mean of you to tease me like that :p

15. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    well, it's tempting but the meeting nights are on a bad evening for me. I work late the second monday. :_|

16. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    so take over & change it! ;) :p

17. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    12:01 a.m. the first full moon of the month!8-}

18. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Yeah! The meetings don't have to happen on the second Monday of every month. Monday's were just the slowest night of the week for the Rave (to allow us the use of their party room). Sarka set that up (so correct me if I'm wrong). Having them on the second Monday just made it easier to remember. ;) Also, the meetings are getting a little too big and I'm guessing the Rave is wondering if it's worth it. It's not like we've done much for them since Episode III. Sure, we told them we were bringing a bunch of people for Pirates II, so maybe all those other people that showed up in costume was credited to us. [face_whistling]

Anyway, I'm encouraging whoever runs to reinvent it. It could use for a shake-up to make it fresh again!

19. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    take out the rule you have to LIVE there, and i'm so on it! :p

20. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    It's something to be thinking of I guess.

How many people are coming to the meetings?

21. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    you obviously aren't :p

;)

i hear they've gotten kinda big! :)

22. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    Yeah... the meetings are well attended, but I wonder how it would be if we held it at Books-a-Millions one time. The movie is a great perk, but for some, that's probably all they're coming for. That and to be social with each other (which is great), but we do need to get back to being the sci-fi club we are. So, yeah... the meeting attendance is great, the message board chatter is at a minimum, though. It's definitly time for a nice shake-up to see who the real sci-fi fans are. :-B I honestly wouldn't mind devoting some time every month to showing a TV show episode, playing games (not RPG - too long), book discussion maybe, maybe have themed meetings (which might help bring in other fandom aspects).

We do have Chattooine patches, though. :D We've also talked about getting some shirts made up. I guess I need to get on that. We said we'd have a design picked out by the August meeting. [face_whistling]

23. Southernjedi

Jul 1, 2002
    how bout a meeting at a city park like Warner or Coolidge and bring board games (any star wars or other scifi/fantasy) titles? I have Star Wars Risk that I've never played and Lord of the Ringes monopoly.

24. Vesper2112

Nov 14, 2003
    I'm ok with something like that. We'll probably need to wait until elections are over with, but I hope the new team (whoever they may be) takes the club in new directions.

I think I played Risk before, but I'd love to try out the Star Wars Risk. I've got Star Wars Life and we like playing Star Wars: Epic Duels (which we've printed out a bunch of new decks for that one). Anyway, we'll see!

25. SarkaVrae

Jun 3, 2004
    so are you going to be totally off the leadership team going forward, Vesper? :(
    is Nightmarez running for office?
    who are the candidates so far, you think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.