main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cheap Frames?

Discussion in 'Archive: Dayton, OH' started by Jedi_Junkie, Feb 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Junkie

Jedi_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2003
    We just got some new portraits from Wal-Mart, and as we were framing the latest mug-shots I thought about all the art prints I'd purchased at the Celebration II. I found the things gathering dust above my computer (still in their original wrapping, terrible..), and found they wouldn't fit any of the standard frames. I'm just wondering if anyone knows where I can get custom frames and maybe mattings for super cheap? I also have two sheets of uncut cards I'd like put in some sort of frame. If you can help me out please post! Anything would be appreciated.

2. Sean_Starrider

Sean_Starrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 30, 2002
    As far as cheap frames go, I recommend Wal-Mart and Meijers. If you can't find them there then you will probably have to pay a little more but I'm sure they would have them at the art/posters/frames store that is in almost every mall.

3. PADA-1

PADA-1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2003
    Target is a good place to find lower priced stuff that won't fall apart as soon as you walk out the store. There is an arts & crafts outlet called Michaels by the Fairfield Mall in Beavercreek next to Dick's sporting goods and Petsmart that has quality frames also.

4. MandalorianHunter

MandalorianHunter Jedi Youngling

Feb 4, 2003
    try big lots, you never know what you'll find in there. :)

5. Gwen_Amidala

Gwen_Amidala Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    K-Marts are closing down in alot of places, You might be able to find one there 25-50% off. :)

6. jedimike421

jedimike421 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 28, 2002
    I have various prints and lithographs in various sizes so I went to a Frame and Save, supposed best prices in town, and they wanted a rather large amount for a 16x22 print to be farmed and matted.

I would try Michaels, we have one in Florence, Ky. If you find something, let me know.

7. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Yeah, special framing like that doesn't come cheap, I have the same problem with my AOTC teaser poster.

8. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Wow, thanks a bunch for all the suggestions! If I do run across any frames that seem to be a particularly savory deal I'll pass it on. Again, thanks for the help!

9. padawan_schlicher

padawan_schlicher Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    I work in a camera store and we sell frames as well, what are the exact sizes you need, I'll take a look and see if we have anything.

I don't think there is any such thing as cheap document sized frames though.

10. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hmm, well I need three different sizes really, but one of them for sure is going to cost me some big money and I'm not even going to bother measuring it - I'd almost need a yard stick. One of the sizes that I'm looking for is 17X11, although slightly larger would probably be a good idea, and the other is 11X7.5. Very odd size, and I won't cut them. Thanks for offering, Padawan.

11. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    Yeah, those aren't standard sizes. Your options will be to buy bigger frames and have mattes custom cut, or have a custom frame made.

12. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Yeah, that's pretty much what I've been told. I'm fairly reluctant to do it custom because of the price, I'm - how shall I put this? - on a fixed income. <_< Yes,I think that says it. *chuckle* A fixed income of approximately however much I can weasel out of my parents. Again, thanks for the help.

13. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    I have the EI lithographs and they're 10.5 X 17.5. The oddest size you'll ever see. I think that may be what Jedi_Junkie has as well considering the sizes. Just a guess though. What I did was get them dry matted which I don't think is that expenive (canceled my order and they already had it done so I didn't pay for it.) and then I'm using these frames. They're not exactly frames per say but they hold the picture and it can hang from the wall. Here's a couple links. I haven't purchased these yet but I've been told that you might be able to find them at Michaels, Hobby Lobby or other craft stores. They're inexpensive and will fit any sized frame up to like 20X20. They're the Weber fast frames and the Braquette frames. The mister Art store has them about 1.20 cheaper than the first link.

www.reuels.com

www.misterart.com

14. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    I'll probably be ordering some of the braquette frames in the coming weeks if you are interested in anything there I can throw it in with my order. I'm getting the Stainless Steel versions. Clear plastic just looks cheap to me.

15. Jedi_Junkie

Feb 6, 2003
    Hm, I'm sounding like a broken record! But thank you very much, I might just order something from Mister Art. I think you and I may have the same size prints (I'm so incompetant when it comes to anything with a ruler), and a simple thing such as the items offered on Mister Art might just do the trick. I'll mull over tossing an item onto your order. Thanks again!

16. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    I don't know if this is what you would consider cheap, but I saw a 27x40 poster frame at suncoast for $20. That maybe the size of your big poster, that's pretty standard for a movie poster.

17. Qui-Gon_Ludo

Qui-Gon_Ludo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    Suncoast? I might have you picking one up for me next week then, since you work close to it.

18. padawan_schlicher

Mar 7, 2002
    Not a problem! Anything for a friend and fellow fan.

19. corranhornjje

Jun 9, 2001
    Junkie, or anyone else for that matter, I'm planning on ordering a bunch of the frames I mentioned and just wanted to see if anyone was interested in gettting a couple along with my order. I'm getting mine from MisterArt as they're way cheaper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.