main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LA, CA Cheap Poster Frames.

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by DEWGOD01, Dec 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DEWGOD01

DEWGOD01 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2002
    I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some cheap framing done. I have two of the AOTC posters from Singapore and they are an odd size. I went to Michael's and they wanted $95+ for one of them!!!!!!!!! Or the offered to cut it down smaller...which is insane after spending good money on them. I figure that Aaron Brothers won't be any cheaper. So any help here would be great.

2. pivy

pivy Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2002
    You're right Aaron borthers won't be cheaper, since they're owned by Michael's, anyway.
    The was a coupon in Sunday's paper for 50% your entire framing order at Michael's. Barring that, here are Ivy's tips for cheap framing (which I've done a lot fo):
    1. Buy a frame the next larger size and a piece of mat board and make a mat yourself.
    2. try ikea. Since their frames are from Europe, they're often in differnt (read: wierd) sizes.
    3. thift stores, garage sales, trash. I've gotten some of my best finds in dumpsters.
    If none of those will work for you and you're a bit handy, go to Home Despot and buy some moulding and build your own! :)

--Ivy

3. Silent_Bob_West

Silent_Bob_West Jedi Master star 2

May 19, 2002
    Find a book called "Buying Retail is Stupid." Most major bookstores carry it. Take a pen and paper if you don't want to buy the book. I think they have a section in there on Wholesale Art supply stores. Also, try Frank and Son's trade show. I think there may be a vendor there who sells poster frames.

4. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    I used to live in Century City, 3 years ago this place did a great job. I paid 40.00 each for it mounted, and black frame (glass) for the Full theatre size Return of the Jedi, and Phantom Menace. Excellent work, and quick. It is worth the drive. I am sure it is a bit more, but less than 95.00.

Sherman Galleries
    4039 Lincoln Blvd.
    Marina Del Rey 90292
    (310) 305 1001

Be sure when they mount the poster, they use the glue that can be removed. It will pro-long the quality of the poster, and if it breaks, you can re-mount it. Cost a few bucks more, but worth it.

5. Darth-Bubba

Darth-Bubba Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    I just spoke with the Manager there, if you call, ask for the Frame Special. It is 40.00, this includes the mounting. The frames looks very nice. Honestly, in my living room the 40.00 one are next to the 85.00 ones, and you can not tell which cost more.

6. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Yes framing is expensive. I once paid $300 to have a $100 print framed!
    Movie posters are standard sized though.. they have pre-made frames. Suncoast (the video store) has a nice plastic frame for $20. Aaron Bros. has one for $40. I have both. They are cheap quality, but look good. I have all my Star Wars posters framed in them (I have 4 Suncoast frames and one Aaron Bros frame).

7. JediRacer

JediRacer Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 5, 2000
    Oh, sorry, I didn't totally read your post.. I didn't know your posters were a non-standard size.
    For custom framing, there's a framing place a friend told me about called Gemline.. It's on the corner of Mission Road and Cesar Chavez Ave near Downtown L.A. I've personally never been there though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.