main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cheap Saber Hilts Please!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Rumik, Aug 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rumik

Rumik Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2003
    Hey guys,

I've looked around for weeks for someone offering a cheaper alternative to masterreplicas.com or parkssabers.com so I thought I'd try my luck at posting here. I am looking for someone, preferably but not only in the UK to construct me some reasonable quality saber hilts for use as props in fan films, so they need to have holes for prop blades. Bear in mind that I'm a University student in the UK and am simply looking for some inexpensive saber hilts for use in making fan films. I'm currently using those cheap Hasbro toy sabers but they're just not realistic enough for me.

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks.

2. Lightsaber_Style8675

Lightsaber_Style8675 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 1, 2003
    By plumbing pipe, get a hack saw, shape the way u want, wrap a 3/8 dowel in a bunch of duct tape until in wedges into the handle. Not perfect, better looking than toys, very inexpensive.

3. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    [image=http://www.hasbro.com/common/images/products/26491_imageMain400.jpg]

Hasbro. $7.95 US.

4. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    And Fig wins the award for totally ignoring the fact that that's exactly what he didn't want.

I built 2 props out of PVC, metal drain pipes, paint roller extensions, and some imagination. The two of the them combined only cost me about $20.

That's really the best route. The amount of work it took to construct them was actually worse than the cost. On top of that, they are totally original creations that no one else can claim as their own.

As a result, I don't think I will be mailing them out to the UK anytime soon. :D

If cost is an issue, your gonna have to take the same route.

Take a look at the bottom link in my sig to see the Episide III Trailer where both props can be seen in their full rotoscoped glory.
    /Shameless plug.

5. krillindb

krillindb Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I recently found a site called random sabers that does custom hilts from aluminum for $50-$60 USD depending on how complicated of a design and a double bladed hilt would run you around $100. Just an alternative for a machined hilt.

6. Figrin-Dan_Man

Figrin-Dan_Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2002
    Check my sig, Durb.

7. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    I made a junk saber once. I used an old vacuum cleaner attachment for the base of the hilt (about 1 1/2 inches in diameter). It had a bend, which was cool with me, as AotC pictures had just started appearing on the web, and it was the same month as rebelscum.com started displaying pics of Dooku's saber...anyway.

I pretty much just painted it with silver metallic paint, and sprayed it with hairspray (so the paint wouldn't rub off...I do it to my pencil sketches too...). Then I got four feet of pvc and JAMMED the sucker into the attachment. Believe it or not, it was a perfect fit, and wouldn't budge for anything, which proved to be bad in the end. before that, I had sprayed the PVC pipe with metallic paint and once the piece was finished and decorated up, I had some fun with it. That's right, I went to a local store with a friend who agreed to let me hit him with it until we got at least five rude comments, and then I'd buy him lunch. I had a guy come up and pull it from my hand, only to start hitting me with it, asking me, "HOW DO YOU LIKE BEING HIT WITH A METAL POLE BUDDY? HUH?"

Yeah. Good times....

I'd sell it to you, but I ended up selling it to the guy whom I had been hitting with it. It's amazing what a lick of paint will do.

-Matt

8. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    link

There's lots of links on building custom sabers down at the bottom on that page. Look at those and it's not hard to figure out how to make a cheap hardware saber that looks nice.

9. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    Hey hey, I made the FigSig once again! [face_laugh]

No shameless plug this time...

10. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    One of the best sites I have found for cheap home-made sabers is The Big Yellow Box...

Indy

11. myself_me

myself_me Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2003
    hey indy :)

12. VigilWolf

VigilWolf Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2003
  13. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    You want really cheap? Take a thick wooden dowel and cut around 6 inches off (or whatever length you want), carve it, drill a hole in the end and stick a smaller dowell in the hole. Now paint it and you've got you're saber.
    A plus is the because you made the hole the same size as the dowell, when the first dowell breaks another of the same size will fit perfectly.

[color=blue]What's up with everyone havin to have metal sabers? Wood's cheaper and easier (and doesn't hurt as much...). With a little metallic paint, when that thing is filmed, no one will know the difference.[/color]

14. ReactiveLlama

ReactiveLlama Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2003
    I love my metal sabers.. Metal sabers rock, when you're not making fan films they're useful for other things! Wheel chocks, fish club, neighbors yappy dog club, proping things open, wedging things closed, there's no limit! And lets not forget the essential COOL factor. I have 3, 2 RLSA sabers, 1 'bleh' but it was $35 and a 2nd $50 that's so far is the best one of his I've ever seen. Last is my Quigon saber, it's me fav! :D

However they do cost more and do lack that 'one of a kind' feel from hardware/pvc sabers.

Oh, If you get in touch with the guy at random sabers let me know, I talked to him about a saber, he agreed, and now several weeks have gone by and I can't get in touch with him anymore.

15. krillindb

krillindb Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2002
    I heard that Random sabers takes a while to get back to you. A guy over on the costuming and props section ordered 3 and said they took a while. He about gave up but he did eventually get his sabers and was very pleased with the results.

16. Rumik

Rumik Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2003
    Wow, thanks for all the suggestions guys, much appreciated!!

17. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    djr33: The problem w/ wood saber hilts that are painted is that the paint will slowly rub off and when combined with the sweat you will be working up, it will recombine and you will find yourself with painted hands.

Metal hilts are much more stable as well and easier to make since you have the hole pre-drilled to stick the blade in.

18. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    So, paint 'em again. The other thing that is better about wooden sabers is that you can make 'em unique. Everyone is saying "I've got a Qui-Gon saber" or "I've got a Darth Maul saber". Don't you guys want to be able to say:
    "I've got a [insert your name here...] saber."

19. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    So you're saying I can't make a custom saber out of metal?

20. ReactiveLlama

ReactiveLlama Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2003
    Was my Quigon hilt being dissed? Suuuure, if you come over to MY house see if I let you play with it now! Ha! ;) I take it to the clubs and use it to woo women! Nya!!

Ok...

Confession time...

So far no women have actually been woo'd by my quigon hilt.. But I know!! I have faith!! Sooner or later I'll hear the line 'is that a quigon hilt in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?' :D

But all kidding aside I have an idea for those who expound the use of wood as a hilt construction method. A engineer friend (not in the building of hilts) did the following with good results.

1) Found a medium soft easy to work wood.
    2) Baked (not grilled!)the wood in the oven at low temp (as low as your oven goes)for about 90-120 minutes. He suggests putting a pan with some salt or flour in the oven as well to absorb the moisture. This dehydrates the wood, make it very dry and porous. Keep the temp low, you're drying not cooking. :)
    3) Worked it with hobby lathe, file and dremel. Have to do all the work in one day though because the wood starts to re-absorb moisture from the air.
    4) Painted the wood with a 2 part metal epoxy thinned with alcohol. Since the wood has been baked and is porous it absorbs a good amount of the epoxy and bonds well. A 2nd coat is added later. The metal epoxy is strong, most is designed to be machinable.
    5) Paint and clear coat.

NOW, I have never tried this, and I'm not sure how much the epoxy will cost. You still might end up spending $40-$60 a hilt.. However you might end up with enough epoxy to make a half dozen or more hilts or other metal/wood props.

Now my engineer friend also suggests this for saber hilt building. Do all the following but get hair-thin spectra fiber. The kind used in high-end fishing lines. Wind that around the hilt in a tight spacing, then paint on the resin. Spectra is even stronger than steel. Says Spectra fiber is about $15 a spool.

Anyway, just idea's. Never be scared to experiment (cept with drugs and explosives) and be creative. Please though, no 20 inch long hilts, they look so silly. In the movies most of the single blade hilts are less than 11 inches long (that's my personal pet peeve with home built sabers).

Good luck!!

21. Bert_Wagner

Bert_Wagner Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    well if you have any access to a machine shop it shouldn't be that hard. All you would need to do is buy(or find some in the shop) some aluminum. THen just put that on a lathe and work away. I did it (i'm 13) with my dad's supervision, and it was really easy. my first time doing it also. i don't know if you have access to a machine shop, but thats wat i would suggest.

-bert

22. djr33

djr33 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    I am not saying that a metal saber can't be customized. It is just harder (and more expensive) to do. Also, there's nothing wrong with a quigon saber, but I'd rather have my own custom saber.

23. The-Matt-Man

The-Matt-Man Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    Lathe's really are a wondeful thing. You can do SO much with them.

-Matt

24. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Hey, if your interested in good looking hilts that can be used for dueling with, I have a friend who is selling a few for 30 bucks, you might be able to reason with him if you are on a budget. They are made out of strong wood with a metallic finish so they are ideal for dueling and there is a 3/4 inch hole at the top to fit wooden dowels. He has some really nice designs, He might even be able to build one from your own designs. PM me and ill send you a picture.

25. JediDragon

JediDragon Jedi Master star 5

Mar 11, 2002
    Rumik: how much are you willing to spend? If you don't want to post here, PM me. I have a good hookup with a guy who machines sabers who can usually cut you a pretty good deal. He has the ability to powdercoat too, so your saber can be different colors (not the lame-ass all-one-color machined hilts you see on the net so often).

I'm not sure what he does on the design, he could probably design one himself, but it works great if you have a design and show it to him and he can work from that.

here is a saber that I designed, sent him the drawing, and he made:

[image=http://hpotter.net/sabers/finishedhilt1.jpg]
    [image=http://hpotter.net/sabers/finishedhilt2.jpg]
    [image=http://hpotter.net/sabers/finishedhilt3.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.