main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Check out this Game I Made!

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Antilles58, Mar 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Antilles58

Antilles58 TFNInteractive Games Programmer star 3 VIP

Jun 5, 2000
    Heh, I don't have plans to make Tie Fighter vs X-Wing, though I'm glad to see support for a sequel. The sequel I DO plan to make, however, XvsTie 2, will be much better. I'm in the planning stages right now and I can already say that XvsTie 2 will blow this one out of the water. I am NOT going to reveal anything else right now, so don't ask. But come summer I will begin working on it :) Til then, keep shooting to get that high score ;)

2. corranhornjje

corranhornjje Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 9, 2001
    Anyone seen the bonus level yet? I finally got there and didn't last too long. Put up a good fight but it was just too wacko for me to pass. ;) Great job. 3 seismic charges will take out the DS.

3. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Here is a brief teaser of XvsTie 2:

[image=http://central-intell.hypermart.net/images/xvstie2teaser.gif]

I'm not going to reveal any more details now, and the graphics will also look completely different as well. But yes, that is a gigantic laser coming out of the x-wing ;-) The game is still about a month away from completion. Once it gets closer I'll reveal all the features.

4. shrimp

shrimp Jedi Youngling

Apr 13, 2003
    I've been playing this game for a while now, and I love it. The wierdest thing happened just now though. I grabbed the final money coming down after everything was destroyed, with a bomb following right after. I got the money and went to buy things, and the ship is in an explosion. I'm stuck and I can't move around. Also, I think there should be just a bit more money. As it is, you cannot buy more than 2 shield refills and the most of the upgrades. I've beaten the bonus level once, and only gotten to it about 3 times. Off to figure out what went wrong so I can play again. BTW, do you have the TI-83 program (so I can type it in?)

5. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    I'll look into that bomb glitch, and hopefully get it updated Within the next few weeks. Until then, just try not to end up in that situation ;)

Money is fine. I'm not changing anything about the game play. You just have to spend wisely and not get hit too much. The way it is, the less you get hit, the less you have to buy. The best players (ie BigNiems) make it through the game and cow level without getting hit once. If you can make it to the cow level at all, chances are you are good enough with the money dropping as it is.

Also, the TI-83 program isn't the sort that can be typed in, since it is an ion program. I wouldn't post it anyway since it would be super long. Its super fun though, so if you can download it anywhere do so. (Phoenix is the best one, and most like my game. I've spent many a math class minute playing that one :D)

6. Crysiax

Crysiax Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2001
    Hello there,

I have spent several hours of my precious life playing X-Wing versus Tie-Fighter & Balance of Power and I have no complaints. However I dont really have a knack for PC/video games and my enjoyment of this comes mainly because it is Star Wars!

If you Antilles (or anyone else) is aware of any patches or cheats to improve playability then please do let me know. Anything to improve the existing weapons or introduce new ships would also be much appreciated. I couldn't find anything useful while seatrc

Thanks,
    Chris

7. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Sorry, but I don't know anything about the lucasarts game X-wing vs Tie Fighter. I don't really play any star wars video games at all any more, and I don't know that this thread is the place to ask. I'm sure there are some other X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (the official game) threads floating around out there where i'm sure you can find some help.

8. jawajames

jawajames Former RSA // stawars.com contributor star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP

Apr 26, 2002
    my wrists hurt from me pounding on my keyboard at work for 2+ hours.
    finally got to the death star and 50K+ points... didn't blow it up though.
    very cool game.
    perhaps you could put in something that tells you what level you are on.

9. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Wow, 2 hours, i can't do anything for that long - except work on the sequel, of course :) Don't play the game so long that you get yourself fired, thats the LAST thing I could possibly want ;) Anyways, i'm not going to put in any new gameplay features into that game, maybe i'll fix a few glitches here or there. Keep at it, but watch over your shoulder for your boss ;)

10. Crysiax

Crysiax Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2001
    OK thanks Antilles, I shall look elsewhere as you suggest.

11. Crysiax

Crysiax Jedi Youngling

Apr 4, 2001
    Just to add, you might want to change the link to this thread from the http://www.theforce.net/games/xvtiegame.shtml page.

Regards,
    Chris

12. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    More XvsTie 2 teasers!! these ones are starting to get good :)

[image=http://central-intell.hypermart.net/images/xvtieteaser2.gif]

[image=http://central-intell.hypermart.net/images/xvtieteaser3.gif]

[image=http://central-intell.hypermart.net/images/xvtieteaser4.gif]

[image=http://central-intell.hypermart.net/images/xvtieteaser5.gif]

Once again, i'm not giving any more details past these images, but it should be enough to drool over for a little while. In the meantime, continue to enjoy XvsTie1!

13. eren

eren Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    Damn it man, i thought you werent planning a sequel for ages! Well spank my ass and call me mandy, those are some N-I-C-E screenshots, and looks like youve implemented attack waves as i suggested...good...good...everything is going as i have forseen...apart from one of the icons in the bottom left...whats up with the one that looks like a pair of green y-fronts dude? Oooh, its too late and ive had too many deathsticks...

14. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    No details about what things are for a few more weeks yet. The game is still about a month or more away from me releasing it, but I am happy with the progress I've had. I wasn't planning to make it any time soon, but I didn't have much of a choice once the good ideas started coming. Some of those graphics (like the SD) will change yet, but this one should be good and much faster paced. And I didn't remember who suggested it, but the attack wave (or groups, as I call 'em) idea was what set off my whole thought process. Thanks!

15. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    [image=http://central-intell.hypermart.net/images/asteroidteaser.gif]

16. Jedi_Commander_Faofa

Jedi_Commander_Faofa Jedi Master star 4

Mar 17, 2003
    This game is really cool. Brings back the memories of when I used to play my Game Boy a lot; before I grew up/discovered sleep. Ah, the days of youth. Never mind my rambling, the only thing wrong was the lack of money. It seems to me you have to pull off really big stunts like torping a bunch of fighters at once. They seem to fall faster anyways. I go to level 11 or something like that without any upgrades to weapons. That is how tight I was on money. Geez, people do raise wars over money (or in this case, Credits. ;) )

17. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    I don't know how it turned out this way, since money is completely random and based on which type of ship you kill (for example, a TIE Fighter has a 5% chance to drop but a dreadnaught has a 45% chance and a star destroyer 95%), but it seems like some games are just completely money rich. Money will drop a lot (sometimes 3-4 per level) in some games and you can have power lasers and rapid fire by level 10 (first dreadnaught level) whereas in other games you'd get lucky to get 300 by that time. Money is random based on ships, not games, so I think its quite interesting that there is a big difference between "big money games" and "low money games." All of my high scores came when I got a lot of money early enough to buy those two upgrades.

18. SolidOne

SolidOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2003
    Yes, money can be a pain. What I have found works best is getting 3 money/credits on the first level. I do this by refreshing the game until I get the 3 credits. My goal is to always have at least rapid fire by the first bombers. Occasionally you get really lucky, and get a ton of money, for example when I got 7 on the first level. Basically, except for the rare occasion, as long as you never have to buy shield recharges, you're fine. Your first goal should be to buy rapid fire. Then either Power Lasers, or a faster engine. After you have rapid fire, power lasers, and a fast engine, work at getting your level 3 shield. Once you have this, put all your remaining moeny into bombs, until you have at least 4, and up to 7. Sometimes you might have to buy 1 shield refill, but never more than one. Antillies, are you going to release a demo of your new game? Like the first few levels not tweaked yet or something?

19. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Nope, no demo.

20. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    Since I'm making good progress on XvsTie2, and the game is just scant weeks away from advancing to its testing phase, I decided that I will list the changes and upgrades I've made. Some of them you've noticed from screenshots, others will be new and exciting :) Here you are:

-New types of enemies, including ships from Episode I, as well as TIE defenders, VSDs, and Executor
    -Enemies now sweep down from the top of the screen in "Attack Groups," each with their own specialized pattern. Levels are completed not by killing all the enemies, but by surviving the level and defeating the "Boss Group" at the end.
    -Because of the new enemy design, scores are no longer awarded as a time bonus. Points are awarded for enemy ships that are killed, so be careful not to let them get off the screen.
    -Gone are the days of money! Now you upgrade your ship and get new weapons from drops from enemies. Enemies drop power/armor upgrades, more bombs/torps, points (up to 10,000!) and a new, special type of timed upgrade!
    -Returning weapons are: bombs, torps, (both of which are significantly more useful), rapid fire, and double lasers. New weapons are: super bombs, super lasers, and triple missiles.
    -3 types of ships: x-wing, a-wing, and y-wing, each with their own unique attributes
    -The game concludes with the destruction of the death star, but you blow it up in a manner that should be pleasantly surprising ;)
    -Everyone's favorite secret level makes a return, along with 2 other secrets that should just be awesome.

Keep in mind its awhile away yet, and several bugs and graphics have yet to be worked out, but that and the screens above should wet your appetite.

21. DARTH-PLONKER

DARTH-PLONKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 23, 2003
    XvT 2 looks great.

Finally beat the DS level. Man, the rapid fire kicks arse.

22. Antilles58

Jun 5, 2000
    As XvsTie2 gets closer to completion, I'll continue to put up new information on a pretty consistent basis until it is released (still a few weeks out). Now the web site for the instructions for the game is up. This is largely just information that has already been released, but it is more detailed and answers some questions.

http://central-intell.hypermart.net/applets/XvsTie2_help.html

23. Master_Y-wing

Master_Y-wing Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    Huzzah! Y-wing at last!

24. SolidOne

SolidOne Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2003
    Hey, that all looks really really awesome. Awesome ideas!!! I tried to help with some graphics as I said I would, but I can't make them so that they would look like the other graphics. Again though, game looks awesome!

25. Jedi_Guy16

Jedi_Guy16 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    this game is awesome!! I just spent a good couple of hours playing it. got to the death star level and died. got a high score of 47000. wow! how soon is the sequel gonna be out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.