main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Check this out.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Creshosk, Jul 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    And that Lucas chick totally ripped off Kurosawa.

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    And I've totally ripped off all of them for my own story franchise.

I'm a genius and I'm going to make millions! :D [face_devil]

*walks away in an evil fashion*

3. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Hah! That's what you think! I'll stop you ST-TPM-FTP...

I'll stop you ST-TMP-AFX...

I'll stop you SW-RES-PEC...

Ah forget it.

4. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Victory is mine! :cool:

5. mixza

mixza Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    Cool. :D

6. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    I know this is going to cause an uproar but Lucas is'nt in Rowling's league. She's a WAY better story teller. IMO when all 7 books/movies are done they will be better than Star Wars because of one reason the story is better.

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

7. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    "Luke=Neo
    Leia=Trinity"

Considering Neo and Trinity hook up and Luke and Leia are twins... *shudder*

[face_worried]

8. Marbe

Marbe Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    I still think Harry Potter came about after Rowling read "The Wall Around The World".

9. Orionsangel

Orionsangel Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    Yeah it just shows J.K. Rowlings is a hack, lol

10. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    Well, this took conversation took an interesting turn. I saw that page on Starwarz.com before. Very funny. The thing you have to remember about Star Wars is that it borrowed from many different myths and infulences. So I don't think anybody should seriously think that Rowling "ripped off" GL, because if we follow that logic GL "ripped off" Flash Gordon, Asimov, Dune, JRR Tolkien, Akira Kurosawa, etc. That said, I do believe that Rowling was influenced by Star Wars in her writing somewhat. I think I've heard that she likes the CT and it would follow that thus some of that influence would show up in her work(example: "Voldemort turned them to the dark side."), but she's not "ripping anybody off". We're almost always recycling the same themes and stories. Oh yeah, and any critic who says that the Harry Potter books and SW saga has no true merit is a moron. Well, maybe moron is too harsh, but they're definitely wrong. Both sagas(while flawed, I agree) are great stories full of great themes. Fantasy and sci-fi never seem to be given the credit it should(forgive my rant, but I'd like to get this out). Maybe if schools would have there students read interesting stuff like Asimov or Robert Jordan or JK Rowling instead of the often boring, depressing, immoral junk they usually have kids read, maybe more kids would actually read. Anyways, brownie points to whoever made that paper. Very entertaining.

11. Jedimancer

Jedimancer Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 16, 2004
    Hmmm. It appears in the time it took me to write my post that a whole new page got started. Anyways, I'm not sure which story (HP or SW) I would consider better. SW, I'm sure, will probably always have a more special place in my heart, but HP's good, too, and the volumes just get deeper and more complex as they go along. That said, though, sometimes I am annoyed by all the HP gushing and success, I guess. Not that it doesn't deserve to be appreciated; it just bugs me that it seems like a lot of people and the media seem to act like HP's the first and greatest fantasy to ever come along, even though there are many others out there, and many of which(Wheel of Time, for example) are superior to the HP series, in my opinion. I just hope when all the people finish reading the HP books, they realize there are A LOT of other good books out there and go pick them up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.