main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CheckOutThisFreeSoftware

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Kamakazie, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    The University of Manchester has FREE Matchmoving software. This is very good for integrating CGI and live action footage. Add it to your filmmaking arsenal!

2. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    link...?

EDIT: merci :)

3. Kamakazie

Kamakazie Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    here's the link:

http://aig.cs.man.ac.uk/icarus/

4. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    That looks great!
    (Wish I had this when I was modeling the Grand Corridor!)
    Make sure you post this in the ScFi 3D forum too!

Have fun!

5. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    link ('li[ng]k)
    noun
    1 : a CONNECTING structure:
    2 : something analogous to a link of chain:

translation ... MARKUP CODES, PLEASE!

6. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    la·zy ('lay zee)
    adj.
    1 : Resistant to work or exertion; disposed to idleness.

Translation: would it kill you to cut and paste?

Here's your markup code.

M. Scott

7. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    That's brilliant! Many thanks for alerting us to this software! Even if you buy the professional version, it's still only a fraction of what you'd pay for any of the big guns like Bijou, Matchmover, Maya Unlimited with it's Live part etc. This is like Christmas come early.

8. lokmer

lokmer Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2000
    Too bad about the watermark :)
    But it DOES look cool! I may have to see about getting this for KM!
    -Lokmer

9. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    Oh, there's a watermark? Damn, I haven't read that far into it yet. But still, if you were to buy the professional version, it's only a fraction of what you'd pay for the big guns.

10. crazylegs1138

crazylegs1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 12, 2002
    Can this program import/export to 3d max? It would be great to have some xwings flying outside a car window. I haven't really tried this program yet (seemed way to complicated) but I'll have to try it again.

11. floydman

floydman Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 31, 2001
    I have been using this software for about a month doing some tests. It works great, it will export to Lightwave (scene file), 3ds, houdini, and a few others. The best thing about it is that its really easy to do. Most of it is automatic. If you have a slow computer it will take a LONG time though. I will try to get a clip up soon.

peace,
    floydman

12. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm CG illiterate, okay... so I'm not exactly sure what this software does, even after reading the features. It's not in layman's english. :\

I have an idea though. Does it allow you to composite a CGI element into a background as the camera perhaps rotates around the subject in the foreground? In otherwords, does it do motion-tracking?

What else does it do?

13. Avene

Mar 28, 2000
    Yeah, it basically does motion tracking. If you've got some live footage with camera shake, movement etc, the program will track points in the shot and work out the focal length etc. You can then export this data to a scene file for any of the 3d programs it supports. Once you open the scene, the 3d program's camera will move just the same as the real life camera.

They're using this for the Matrix reloaded/revolutions. My friend told me a few months back that he saw the helicopter flying over Sydney here that was filming overhead shots of the city. Apparantly they'll be matchmoving this footage and adding CGI stuff over the top. So I'd imagine where there's known landmarks like the Opera House, they could just throw a CGI building over the top of it.

14. Janz_Walker

Janz_Walker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 9, 2000
    :D

This is EXACTLY what I need for some eye candy shots!

Chris

15. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    This is brilliant. I'd been playing with the boujou 2.0 demo (hot damn, sam-I-am what a program!) but now this takes the cake. Ya gotta love it! It's A) faster than boujou and B) FREE! Woohoo! :D

16. pahket

pahket Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2001
    Guys, this thing is right on the money if you haven't tried it. Check out how accurate this is:

http://pahket0.tripod.com/pan_track_comp.mov
    Quicktime, On3 Codec 1.19 MB

Alas, Tripod doesn't support remote linking, so you'll have to copy & paste.

17. andalite

andalite Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 29, 2002
    I was looking at the video and thinking, "So what did he add to the movie?", then I realized it was the orange checker pattern, "DUH!". That is an awesome program!

18. Jedi_Master_Vin

Jedi_Master_Vin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    You do realise that that clip has had nothing at all motion tracked to it. There is no 3d element in there at all.

Its just a video clip of the Manchester Museum. I travel past it eveyday and nothing is different in that clip.

EDIT: oops. I didnt realize that the shot had been stablized. Thats pretty impressive. Once again the great people of Manchester come through with another ingenious invention. First the computer, then some other stuff and now this! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.