main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Cheesy/Uninformational Mod Squad Updates

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa, Dec 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    You actually read the MS updates?

2. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    I humbly request a future Mod Squad Update written in Wingdings.

As long as all the issues raised in the forum are summarized as much as possible, then I think they do their jobs. However, should a mod like to get into a giant controversy - say, sacrifice one thousand user accounts to their chosen deity, then that would be most entertaining.

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Since I'm doing next weeks update, do you want it to be nice looking, or would you want it to be just plain text?

I'm at a loss, I've seen people complain that they are not fancy enough and I've seen people complain that they are too fancy. Make up your minds.

I don't see a thing in the update that was non-informational and/or cheesy.

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Whole ****ing thing in Pig Latin, Errant.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Cheesecake?

I baked one on Wednesday, thanks...

6. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Ooh, what kind?

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    NY-Style (of course!)... cream cheese, not ricotta, and based off of my great-aunt's recipe.

Modified for organic ingredients.

8. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    oh, yummmmmmmm, cheesecake *licks chops*

9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I laughed when I saw it was my update you used as your example. People complained that it was boring and not humourous enough :p

I'm a person who when they write assignments or information for people (rather then my fanfic) just puts the information down with little to no flowery stuff added. I'd love to do what JMT can do both with her HTML and also with the humor. Dagsy normally writes my humour bits for me :p

It's a matter of taste really. I don't think it matters either way.

Kithera

10. Mr_Burns

Mr_Burns Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 12, 2001
    Since I'm doing next weeks update, do you want it to be nice looking, or would you want it to be just plain text?

Once more, I humbly submit my request for Wingdings. At least for one section.

A recipe for a good chicken soup wouldn't go astray, either. I'm sure one of the mods have cooking skills considered legendary.

11. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    Vert says: "or do we want mods who are light-hearted, and upbeat?"

Vert should know. When he was in control, "light-hearted" mods such as PreacherBoy were reigning supreme. ;)

Oh I just couldn't resist that one. Move along. Move along. :p

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I still want a MSU in a single run-on-sentence :(

13. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't see anything cheesy about those updates and the humor is a nice touch :)

but still I like cheese cake and can I have some :p I'm hungry after reading through this thread

14. jada_marnew

jada_marnew Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 22, 2003
    Errant, could you do your update as Yoda???? :D

15. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    As Yoda, in run-on, in Wingdings.

16. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    People complained that it was boring and not humourous enough

People have said the same about mine. Make up your minds, dammit! :_|

17. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    Kit', well, evidently people don't have the same tastes as we do. I personally liked your update that i linked to. It was short, sweet, but gave all the information that we needed to know with the right injection of humor. Keep it up. :)

Do we want mods who take themselves and their jobs seriously, or do we want mods who are light-hearted, and upbeat? I think what we see in these MS updates is the perfect balance of the two - not taking itself too seriously (it *is* just an update about the administration of an entertainment message board, after all... it's not the nightly news), and not a complete farce.

"Moderators are only members with exceeded powers. No more. No less." -Farraday

I do agree, some mods are simply a good combination of both of which you said, and some are not. The majority do their job, but for MSU's these days, it just sort of seems that humor is injected a little too much. As i have said, a little humor is fine, but we really don't need anything to take away from a simple update to the members from the forums.

If there's nothing going on in the MS, then the updates can focus more on entertainment.

Well, if there is nothing much going on in the MS, then just tell us what is going on and leave it at that.

I'd say the fact that the MS updates are more on the 'fun' side of things is a fairly good indication that things are going smoothly and that there isn't much 'drama' that needs to be addressed. I fail to see why that's a problem.

Most people do.

I mean, really, if there's nothing to report on, what would you like to have happen? Should the mods make something up to be serious about?

Like i just said, if there is nothing much to report on, then don't report on anything.

This whole issue is precisely why I posted the thread If we are good about needing more emoticons! We need more emoticons!

Haha, i personally don't see any need for new icons, but if you want them, if you are lucky, you will get them.

I think I might have to edit that out, Vert. You're clearly posting under the influence of common sense, and we don't allow that here.

Evidently you don't.

I don't really care. HTML imbedding looks nice and plain text is pretty much equal in my opinion. If there is nothing going on, then simply say so. :)

18. Cheri

Cheri Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    Uh, what's the big deal here? First people complain because of lack of updates, then when it's updated, people complain because it's not informational. I enjoy the weekly update, even if it's not all informational. Keep up the good work mods!

19. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I mean, really, if there's nothing to report on, what would you like to have happen? Should the mods make something up to be serious about?

Like i just said, if there is nothing much to report on, then don't report on anything.

But surely you remember several weeks past when the updates were very short (because very little had happened in MS), and people complained about how short they appeared.

I think what you're overlooking, SoME, is that various groups of people have complained about MS updates no matter what they look like. When they're too funny, you complain. When they're too dry, others complain. When they're short because little has happened, some complain, and where we don't do one for a given week because little has happened, others complain.

You've said what you want, but what do you recommend to placate the various factions?

20. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    I think that the bottom line is that it's a matter of personal opinion. Some people like them with more humor, some people like them more straight and to the point. Look at the posts in this thread - we're getting a wide variety of comments.

Since there's no way to make EVERYONE happy, I don't really see updates changing. Some people will do them more cut-and-dry, and some will do them more flowery. That way, we get at least some of them people happy some of the time.

21. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    As Yoda, in run-on, in Wingdings.

And Pig-Latin.

22. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I see one person sharing their personal opinion on the MS updates and a bunch of other people who really don't see a problem or don't care one way or the other. So what reason does this thread have to continue?

23. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I agree with strilo. So, I am going to go ahead and lock this one.

24. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    I always thought the humor was better when it was secondary to the update, as with the Shakespearean quotations at the end. They didn't get in the way of the news (minimal or not) and were creatively funny. I think that's sort of what Smuggler is asking for: informational updates with some fun around the edges.

Not every single point has to show the updater's...special (yes, that's a safe term) sense of humor. Sometimes subtle is best, folks.

Also, consolidate. Ex:
    Mod News - Mod X resigned due to personal reasons, as did Mod Y. There is no news on replacing them as of yet. Mods A and D are on vacation and their forums will be checked on by the remaining mods.

That's pretty simple, isn't it, and should be sufficient. I prefer my infotainment over at the EUCNN (God rest ye!).

MS Updates are not necessary; the MS doesn't need to tell us anything in a given week or month or year if they don't want to. I don't think what they do decide to tell should be inflated with non-information and fluff (I didn't think DL was a mod anymore).

25. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Bane, EUCNN's back up :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.