main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Chernobyl!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rylo Ken, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    The accident is 30 years old tomorrow.

The New Safe Containment structure should be finished in less than two years, only a dozen years behind schedule, securing the reactor site for the next 100 years of its 20,000 years of containment needs.

The Fukushima accident is the only thing that has really come close since Chernobyl

I'm tempted to say "Long Live Nuclear Power!" but it doesn't need me to say it. Holy hell.

2. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    AGAIN?!?!?! Oh....

3. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    There are more Ken disaster threads than Marvel threads. Discuss.

4. Luigi

Luigi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 10, 2006
    But Ken didn't make any of the DC threads...

5. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    bring them all up to the front page so we can take a look at them. I'd be surprised if there are more than 100 of them. Not very surprised, but a little bit surprised.

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    We need to get slowpoke and sinister arguing about how avoidable it was or how realistic a fix up is or something that nobody cares about but they can't let go of.

7. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    another jabbadabbadoo classic

Rylo Ken and Ender Sai like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Nuclear power is too dangerous! Just look the three incidents that have occurred in the entire history of civilian nuclear power-- one of which was minor, one caused by a once-in-centuries tsunami, and only one of which actually killed anyone.

Fossil fuels are far safer. Just ignore climate change, everything about coal mining, Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Niger river delta spill, spills from tankers, countless pipeline leaks, refinery disasters, methane escaping from natural gas wells, fracking, smog...

9. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    agreed. We need nuclear power even if there's a major accident every 25 years and a catastrophic accident every 50 years. Chernobyl has had an economic impact approaching a half trillion dollars, maybe more. It was as expensive as a major war.

100 Years of reactor confinement starts in 2017. Future generations will only have 19,900 additional years to deal with the problem.

Behold, the Superdome of nuclear disaster cleanup:

[​IMG]

yankee8255 likes this.
  10. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    From reading a Russian newsource apparently the whole Chernobyl thing was a massive beat up and really there was just a reactor leak and so they dismantled the plant for safety and any lingering radiation is from clouds of the stuff blowing in from China.

11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Perhaps someone could post a fan trailer where they cast Kate Beckinsale as a cooling tower. She's not too old!

Dark Lady Mara and Ender Sai like this.
  12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    And Brainiac could brainiac brainiac brainiac, brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac with Kate Beckinsale brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac brainiac BRANIAC BRANIAC BRANIAC BRANIAC

Alpha-Red and SuperWatto like this.
  13. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    If human civilization continues to thrive and we had one Chernobyl level nuclear accident every 75 years creating a similar 2600 square kilometer contaminated zone, after 20,000 years, only half of one percent of the earth's land mass would be contaminated.

These are the kinds of statistics that can help everyone feel good about nuclear power again.

Dark Lady Mara and Ender Sai like this.
  14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    We should turn it into an amusement park.

Darth Morella likes this.
  15. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    That's already been done. Chernobyl is opened for tourists. I don't think you can get close to the reactor, nor would you want to, but you can tour the abandoned town.

Chernobyl tour guides guarantee ABSOLUTE RADIATION SAfETY for their guests.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I have no dog in the energy fight.

But it's worth noting not all land is equally desirable. Usually power plants are in some proximity to places people want to live. Which probably makes for the first time in human history Other Jabba has used a statistic to undersell the scope of a potential disaster.

Rylo Ken likes this.
  17. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    Yeah I learned enough from Fallout 4 to know better than that.

18. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Japan certainly doesn't have a lot of spare room for 20000 year exclusion zones

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Russia is like 11% of world landmass. We could triple the volume of incidents there, and lots more innocent Dutch travellers would be alive.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    On the other hand, we could do it in Australia because everything there's already mutated beyond recognition.

21. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    They are more fun, too.

Point Given , EHT and Rylo Ken like this.
  22. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    That actually works better for the US. Or sorry - too soon, Flint?

[face_flag]

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You can talk the next time it rains spiders in the US.

24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I remember in the days after the Chernobyl disaster, the government issued a warning not to eat spinach from The Netherlands--and this was right after we had eaten it. They destroyed whole crops because they were badly contaminated, and we had eaten it.

Fortunately, we didn't get sick (nor did we gain superpowers).

25. Rylo Ken

Dec 19, 2015
    Austria got a fair amount of contamination. There were warnings about milk and produce taken off the market if my wife recalls correctly. I wasn't there at the time. My wife just remembers that she'd been out sunbathing on the days southern Austria got most of the fallout. My wife got plenty of UV radiation plus some extra Cesium-137 and Strontium-90.

yankee8255 likes this.