main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Chessboard: The Laws of Power

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by Winged_Jedi, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winged_Jedi

Winged_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 28, 2003
    Chessboard: The Laws of Power

Music

[image=http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/6/68/NewSithWars.JPG]

The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him.

-Sun Tzu

[i]The year is 1,400 BBY. The galaxy is being torn apart by the New Sith Wars, a conflict more devastating and brutal than any that has come before.

On battlefield after battlefield across the stars, Jedi Generals lock horns with Sith Lords, with entire worlds and civilisations at stake.

More than fifty years ago, the Sith horde seized the planet of Mizra in one of their most famous victories. But their stranglehold over the world has grown slack, as the dark empire seeks to expand its borders even further. Mizra has been left to rot, and has become vulnerable to attack.

Now the Jedi have arrived to take it back.

Working alongside Republic troops, the Jedi lay siege to Mizra's enormous capital city. Over the next few months they launch lightning raids and numerous offensives in an attempt to try and breach the Sith defenses, and reach the fortress that lies deep within the city walls...

[/i]

[hr]

This game is essentially about two RPers playing chess against each other, and writing an RP representation of the match.

[b]Sinrebirth[/b] will be the Sith general, and play black. [b]DarkLordOfTheFins[/b] will be the Jedi general, and play white.

The chess pieces will symbolize these characters/units:

[u][b]Black[/b][/u]
    King- Sinre's character
    Queen- Sith Lady Darth Megaera
    Knights- Squadrons of Sith interceptors
    Bishops- Sith Assassins
    Rooks- Sith Marauders
    Pawns- Ubese Mercenaries

[u][b]White[/b][/u]
    King- Fins' character
    Queen- Jedi Master Faith Sunrider
    Knights- Squadrons of Jedi starfighters
    Bishops- Jedi Knights
    Rooks- Jedi Shadows
    Pawns- Republic Infantry

The board itself will be split into zones:

[image=http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/3660/chessboardblank.jpg]

[color=red]Rows 7-8 will be the Sith fortress[/color]
    [color=pink]Rows 5-6 will be the Inner City[/color]
    [color=purple]Rows 3-4 will be the Outer City[/color]
    [color=blue]Rows 1-2 will be the Jedi encampment[/color]

[hr]

[b][u]Gameplay[/b][/u]

Posting in this game will follow a strict order.

I will write a GM post with an image of the chessboard.

The Jedi general will post his move (for example, he may begin by moving the E2 pawn to E4). Accompanying the chess move, he will write an IC post in which the general makes his tactical decision (in this case, the general gives orders for his Fifth Infantry Squad to be deployed into battlefield zone E4, in the northern section of the Outer City)

I will then write a GM post with an image of the updated chessboard, and a scene where a lackey informs the Sith general of the opponent?s ?move?.

The Sith general then posts his move, with an accompanying IC post. For example, he may move his B8 Knight to C6. In this case, the IC post would consist of him giving orders to sent out Sith Interceptor squadrons to battlefield zone C6, in the northern section of the Inner City.

I then write a GM post with an image of the updated chessboard, and a scene where a subordinate informs the Jedi general of his opponent?s 'move'. And so on.

And we continue in this fashion. Jedi Post/White move followed by GM Post followed by Sith Post/Black move.

There will be no IC views of the battlefield itself. All the IC action will take place in the two Generals? respective command centers, with the battle being seen through their eyes.

As the battle progresses, we will come to know these two opposing characters in considerable depth. The RP side is not simply 'move these units here please TAG: GM'. It will be about exploring the way in which strategists think, the way in which they deal with sending troops into danger, how they handle moral dilemmas and pressure from advisors and advice from superiors, as well as fighting an escalating psychological battle with their opposite in the enemy camp.

It w

2. Synrebirth

Synrebirth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2009
    OOC: I dedicate this character to Imperial_Hammer, as a thank you for his friendship over the years. He'll see why. ;)

Name: Polcyc
    Appearance: Atypical Sith, taking black Sith robes and a crimson lightsaber. Singular eye, tinted with use of the dark side. Overweight for an Abyssin.
    Species: Abyssin
    Personality: Because of his sloth, Polcyc can sink into a blissful peace of mind known almost exclusively to the Jedi. This mental clarity allows him to not be blurred by the haze of battle and war, and to see the best option out of all others.
    Bio: Polcyc has been a Sith for centuries. That is more or less all that is known of him by the other Lords. He does not demonstrate a particular violence, simply the ability to survive. He embodies sloth, a particularly unique emotion for a Sith. Trained by Darth Belie, one of original Sith that served Darth Ruin, Polcyc has sat back, supported the Dark Underlord with his strategic mind, and the Black Knights as well. He hasn't used his lightsaber in a century - he has no need to. If he does... he has failed. Since the Battle of Mizra he has protected this world with his own forces, knowing that this symbolic planet cannot fall back into the Jedi's hands.

3. DarkLordoftheFins

DarkLordoftheFins Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 2, 2007
    I´ll dedicate this character to LordTroepfchen who my teacher and showed me how to play chess and changed my life in so many ways.

Name: Censol Brandl
    Appearance: A man who has seen many things in his life he still has a wise smile around his face, whenever he is confronted with the unexpected. Bald-headed, physical in good shape and wearing a green variation of the Jedi robes he wears no personal things with him, except his simple lightsaber hilt at his simple belt.
    Species: Human
    Personality: A thinking man he relies on logic and analysis over instinct and feelings, believing that the living force is in all things, and math is the language which binds it all together. He is a rather scientific man for a Jedi.
    Bio: Raised on Coruscant inside the Jedi Temple he always did everything he did with calm determination. Lightsaber lessons, science classes, meditation and debate all came to him through the same force. Calmness. Sometimes his brothers worried he might be too attached of things, but he has shown again and again to be immune to the effects of seduction and frustrating centered even in the most emotional of moments. He raised through the ranks and made it Jedi Master as he lead various republic forces into the war. The one Jedi who doesn´t regret the loss of life as long as this loss seems to benefit the force and the galaxy he has become the General-of-choice to the order for harder, violent battles.

4. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Two intriguing characters. This is going to be fun. Give each other an e-handshake, gentlemen, because it's time to get this started.

[blockquote][i][link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSKvMyruPTA]
    Jedi Command Center, Zone E1[/link][/i]

[b]Censol Brandl[/b] walked into the Command Center for the first time, and his men saluted him with a mixture of awe and fear. It was not the first time they had been in the presence of a Jedi Master, but this one carried a unique aura of power, and intelligence.

"Greetings, General," said a short, balding human in the uniform of an army officer. "My name is [b]Lieutenant Posca[/b]. I have been appointed to assist you in this campaign. I hope you like the command center."

It was indeed impressive how quickly the Republic had been able to transform what had been a dilapidated outpost on the City outskirts into a functional base of operations. The command center room was filled with holoprojectors and viewscreens displaying tactical readouts, enemy movements, troop positions and intelligence reports, while various officers scurried around coordinating the information.

"We should move straight to the point," said Posca, guiding Brandl to an enormous tactical display that was projected on the floor in the center of the room. It was a map of the city- the battlefield- split into a grid of 64 equal zones.

"As you can see," explained Posca, "we have a line of infantry units along the second row of this grid- that's all along the northern edge of our encampment. I suggest we begin our advance forward."

[image=http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/9614/unou.jpg]

[b]Tag: Fins[/b][/blockquote]

OOC: So, you may now post your RP write up along with your move. I hope things are straightforward so far. Any questions, please ask away.

I should also clarify for both of you that the White King and the Black King (that is, your characters) are the pieces on squares E1 and E8 respectively. Just so you don't confuse them with the Queens (on D1 and D8), as I did at first.

I find [link=http://www.apronus.com/chess/wizard.php]this site to be useful[/link] if you don't have a board to hand, and also [link=http://www.chesslab.com/PositionSearch.html]this one[/link].

5. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    OOC: Abusing my modly position to write in here and just say: this looks intriguing, but I really hope we don't end up with "Scholar's Mate" ... :D

6. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Censol Brandl, Mizra, Republic Command Post

He had entered the command post with an uneasy anxiety of a warrior predicting the battle. He thought this feeling to be unforgivable. A servant of the force and a soldier in war both were chosen to do what they did. It was their purpose to fulfill that role in the complex and unending puzzle life was. He would take lives that day and win or loose. Survive or die. It was of no greater importance than that the force had lead him here. To do what had to be done.

The man called Posca, without a doubt a seasoned soldier but one Censol was unfamiliar with, showed him his command post.

"As you can see," explained Posca, "we have a line of infantry units along the second row of this grid- that's all along the northern edge of our encampment. I suggest we begin our advance forward."

Standard formation. It would serve the purpose. "Yes." Censol only replied and closed his eyes. A last moment of peace, before the force would fill with anger, hatred, death and desperation.

He watched his army. Even matched with his enemies. Today his mind would decide this battle. And the force would hopefully guide it. But even if not, he was a man of logic. And the most logical thing was, to establish an advanced post.

"Move our troops from Quadrant d2 to quadrant d4 and let them fortify there, Lieutenant. We should establish an early presence in the Outer City, before the enemy moves in. Tell all other troops to prepare for battle."

And so it had begun . . .

[move pawn d2 to d4]

Tag: Sinrebirth or Synrebirth

7. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    OOC: So me now, and then Sinre. I'm basically the middleman.

And Saint, in some ways I would have liked to see Scholar's Mate. It would probably have set the record for fastest completed RPG in RPF history. :p

[blockquote][link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IubqHVEQ5U][i]Sith Command Center, Zone E8[/i][/link]

In the heart of his Fortress, the Sith Lord Polcyc meditated deeply on the battle that was to come.

The room was silent. Not a man dared interrupt their lord while he was in this state of slothful bliss. A long time passed before finally one of the underlings stepped forward to speak. He was a gaunt-faced Umbaran named [b]Valkir[/b], an ambitious and moderately-talented adept.

"My lord," began the man, bowing deeply. "The Jedi have made their first move. A small force of Republic infantry have been deployed to the northern limits of the Outer City. They have encountered little resistance thus far."

He gestured to the tactical display that was hung on the opposite wall, beside an enormous holographic image of General Brandl- the leader of the enemy.

"What are your orders, my lord?" inquired Valkir, bowing once again for good measure.

[image=http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/974/dos.jpg]

[b]Tag: Sin/Syn rebirth[/b][/blockquote]

8. Synrebirth

Synrebirth Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2009
    IC: Polcyc
    Battle of Mizra

"The Jedi have made their first move. A small force of Republic infantry have been deployed to the northern limits of the Outer City. They have encountered little resistance thus far."

So they had. Lord Polcyc gazed slowly at the hologram displaying his opponents. His single eye blinked at the opening move by the commander, and Polcyc swept it back across his own troops, stretching his neck to see better - he was after all lounging in a chair which conformed to his larger frame. Sixty-four units, and equal force. It struck him as interesting that an invader would bring so little to a front. But it had no matter. This was a tactical situation that required success first - one which would he may as well take his due time with.

Polcyc idly considered. He had not survived this war for such a long time by throwing himself into things. His second, Darth Megaera was a fool, but a very useful fool who did throw herself into things. She was quite capable of darting across these small distances and cutting into the heart of his enemy, whomever they were. It was a thing of youth, though Polcyc had not been particularly nippy in his first century either.

If this proved entertaining, Polcyc would see about communicating with his opponent. But for now this would suffice. Minutes had passed, and still Polcyc had not responded to his aide, Valkir, the snivelling Umbaran.

Despite this, he was thoroughly unimpressed by the enemies attempt to seek a forward position in such an obvious manner. The angles freed up his enemies forces more than anything, and Polcyc concluded this battle would be one of attrition. He spoke, his voice slowly dripping his commands from his lips.

"Move our the Ubese mercenaries deployed at position from position a7 to a5. I want a position within the Inner City before they reach it."

[move pawn a7 to a5]

TAG: GM

OOC: Incidentally, I spent a good hour trying to work out what that Chess game was. I suddenly realised I'd spent about 15 consecutive hours playing the game while travelling to and from New Zealand. What a lovely link! :D

9. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    OOC: Glad you enjoyed that Sinre. Interesting move, too.

I've decided that occasionally I will post a few IC battlefield 'snapshots', just to give you a closer look at the effects of your decisions. But that will come a little later.

[blockquote]
    [i]Jedi Command Center, Zone E1[/i]

"News from our scouts," cried [b]Posca[/b], rushing into the room with a handful of flimsheets. "The Sith are mobilising their forces. Mercenaries have been deployed along the western edge of the Inner City. Perhaps these are the first stages to a flanking manoeuvre? Here, sir, for your consideration."

He handed the information over to [b]General Brandl[/b], who was poring over a mass of tactical readouts.

"There's more," continued Posca, his voice taking on a grim tone. "Word from your Council. Jedi forces are stretched too thin and the Republic is not in a position to commit any more troops. There will be no reinforcements. We must make do with what we have. The Grandmaster informs us that he will be in touch shortly."

The balding lieutenant finished there, and stepped away.

"I have the feeling," he said, more to himself than to his commander, "that this is going to be a [i]long[/i] battle."

[image=http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2962/tres.jpg]

10. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Censol Brandl
    Battle of Mizra

Censol Brandl considered the idea of a flanking maneuver.
    "Unlikely." He replied only. His rude one-liner replies were known throughout the fleet and he smiled a little to himself. That he was probably only a Jedi General still because of his victories. Then again . . . victory was only a fleeting moment of relief.

To early for a flanking, what actually was to be flanked? No, the Sith General had something else in mind and he was either very smart or outright stupid by opening hostilities in this way. He would assume the first until he saw proof of the second. Logical choices were to avoid the bigger mistake of two. In this case that would be underestimating a murderous Sithlord. He would for now prefer overestimating a possible sacrifice by his enemy.

"I have the feeling," his Commander said, more to himself than to Censol, "that this is going to be a long battle." The Jedi Master turned to his second-in-command.
    "Feelings can be deceiving. Nothing hints it will be any different from previous battles." He said in a sharp tone. Then turned to his command console again.

"Inform me when the Grandmaster wishes to discuss the situation. Until then, we´ll need some Jedi in the field. Their sense of the force could provide useful information. Please move our knights from the right flank to the sector F3 and tell them to provide information on enemy activity as soon as they sense something. Anything." Censol folded his arms. He disliked the long moments of preparation before the true battle began. But he knew it was here wars had been lost or won.

[move g1 - f3]

Tag: WingedJedi

11. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    OOC: Sorry for the delay.

A small note (this only affects the RPing side of things, but I was asked to clear this up by one of our readers): Knights/Horses represent Jedi in their Starfighters (since they can 'leap over' pieces), and Bishops represent Jedi on the ground. Same thing for Sith.

[blockquote][i]Sith Command Center, Zone E8[/i]

"A transmission, my lord," said [b]Valkir[/b], bowing to his master.

The holographic head of a female Togruta sprang into a flickering, pale-blue life. Her eyes were narrow, and an intricate network of dark tattoos circled her narrow eyes. [b]Darth Megaera[/b].

"Greetings, Lord [b]Polcyc[/b]," she said, unable to hide a bitter edge to her voice. She was useful, courageous, even obedient to some extent, but she had long resented being placed under the command of a being that she clearly disliked.

"A report from my watchtower in the Outer City," she said. "A squadron of Jedi Starfighters has left the enemy encampment and arrived at Position F3 on our tactical grid. They are in a perfect position to provide aerial assistance and cover for their comrades at D4.

"I also note that you sent a detachment of our own mercenaries to the western outskirts of the Inner City." She hesitated momentarily, as if wishing to add something, and then thought better of it. "As ever I leave it to your judgement, my lord. Megaera out."

Her image vanished.

[image=http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/1231/fourg.jpg]

[b]Tag: Sinrebirth[/b][/blockquote]

12. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Battle of Mizra

"I also note that you sent a detachment of our own mercenaries to the western outskirts of the Inner City." Darth Megaera hesitated momentarily, as if wishing to add something, and then thought better of it. "As ever I leave it to your judgement, my lord. Megaera out."

Polcyc noticed the pause, that of his assistant, but couldn't summon the energy to care. Not apprentice, no. Polcyc wasn't interested in a legacy - and he didn't think claiming the 'Darth' title actually meant anything. It was all the fashion after Darth Ruin's death, a dozen Sith claiming the title and splitting the Empire into civil war. The Dark Underlord hadn't reclaimed it - he'd simply sought to fight the Jedi. Approving, Polcyc had eventually sided with the demon spirit. That was all Polcyc was interested in - destroying the Jedi. It was all he could be interested enough in to dedicate his mind.

His opponent had made a ridiculously subtle move, again, so Polcyc would respond with an unsubtle one. It would be interesting to see if Megaera would disapprove of this, as well. "Move forward the Sith Marauders at sector A-8 to A-6 immediately."

Rook at A-8 to A-6

TAG: Winged

13. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003

Jedi Command Center, Zone E1

"The marauders are already on the move," announced Posca, a worried expression on his face as he informed General Brandl of the latest developments. "Quadrant A6. I have a feeling that our foe favours their use in battle."

He paused, remembering his commander's previous rebuke, and added, "But of course, feelings can be deceiving."

It was an intriguing deployment. Rapid, brutal and direct, the marauders were amongst the most powerful weapons at the Sith's disposal. But they were not usually used at such an early stage in battle...clearly this Lord Polcyc was not swayed by convention.

There was an air of tension in the room, and Brandl would notice that the usual buzz of communication had faded into near-silence. His officers were looking up at him, wondering how he would respond to this unexpected move. They feared the enemy, deep down...many a man had lost family or friends to the dark horde, and they knew that nothing could stop a Sith who had a plan.

Unless a Jedi had one too.

[image=http://img264.imageshack.us/img264/2376/five.jpg]

Tag: Fins

14. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Censol Brandl
    The Battle of Mizra

The Jedi Master closed his eyes. He felt the fear and anxiety of his men. The Sith had a reputation, but he could not allow his soldiers to let fear rule their actions. Despite his brain calaculating the possibilities the enemies move could have for the engagment, he forced his outer appearance to show an untypical display of confidence.

As he opened his eyes, he smiled. A serene smile. One of a man not impressed.

"We couldn´t have asked for more, could we?" He said, seemingly to Posca. But in truth he was addressing every fearful soul in this room.
    "We will have the opportunity to face them early. The most fearsome of his troops will meet our prepared battle lines." Then he turned to the whole room.
    "Fear is the Sith´s ally. But fear them, we won´t. Let these Marauders come. We will stand firm. United. And I have seen regular infantry slaughter these fearsome warriors, when they were met unprepard on the field. I myself, when I had Master Sunriders position as field commander in the Battle of Elob, have annhilated whole sqaudrons of these beasts. And shall they come now, we will be prepared. And when we enter the thick of battle, the Sith will know we have overcome their worst. Their most powerful. That we can kill everything they throw at us." Then he turned to Posca.

"So for now, le us take the center of their outer city. Move another regiment of troops in and let them cover our bridgehead. And tell all Jedi to prepare. They might face the Sith early in this engagment."
    He turned to the map again. His emotional fascade gave room to his cold mask of a General again.

"Move our regiment from sector e2 and let them advance slowly to their brothers-in-arms. They shall fortify a position at sector e3." He said. His confidence wasn´t shaken by the Sith. He felt the enemy had forced his hand and had yet to show any real danger to his strategy.

"And yes, feelings can be deceiving. They are as afraid as we are, Posca. Or would they otherwise have their best lead their army so early?" His brows raised, as if he showed the republic officer the greater context of the enemmies motivation. Only through understanding one defied the Sith. Beneath their hatred and power they were living creatures and like all living creatures they could be killed. Something a Jedi did with reluctance, always. Once he had decided it was necessary, he would not hesitate, though. And it was also something General Brandl was more than prepared to do.

The force had guided him here and he would not fail the force. He would do what was needed. No doubt would cloud his judgment. For doubt was the seed of fear.

[move: e2 to e3]

Tag: Winged

15. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    Sith Command Center, Zone E8

In the cold heart of the Sith fortress, servants scurried from place to place, while Polcyc remained like stone upon his throne. Amidst the noise and the hubbub, he provided a serene point of focus for his subordinates. His state of sloth was simply unbreachable- not a single man there had ever seen him lift so much as a finger in haste. There would be no rushes of blood to the head for this general, and that gave his troops confidence.

Valkir was notifying his master of the latest developments- a slow advance into the Outer City by Republic troops. A cautious, patient strategy.

"They are now at position E3," he explained, displaying the tactical grid. "Providing further support for the soldiers stationed at D4. Their attempt to secure the central sectors has thus far been successful. We have also learned from our spies that no reinforcements will be available to them- the Jedi Brandl has no choice but to fight with what he has. Your orders, my lord?"

[image=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/6300/fivep.jpg]

Tag: Sinrebirth

16. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Battle of Mizra

"Providing further support for the soldiers stationed at D4. Their attempt to secure the central sectors has thus far been successful. We have also learned from our spies that no reinforcements will be available to them- the Jedi Brandl has no choice but to fight with what he has. Your orders, my lord?"

Valkir was a lot more calmer now, which would have pleased Polcyc had he been any other Sith Lord. But, had he been any other Sith the excitement of an arriving Republic army would have carried them off, headlong into the violence, the Bantha-mentality of the entire army taking it to a pointless defeat. As such, Polcyc simply blinked.

It was obvious what his opponent was doing. It didn't matter, of course, and it predisposed how his opponent would fight. Polcyc had no interest in what his opponent was doing, really - it wasn't influencing his decisions, at least as of yet. Polcyc idly spoke out.

"Move the Sith marauders at point A-6 to F-6." They would now be looking down from the Inner City at the Jedi starfighters holding position in the Outer City - the dark side users perfectly adept at imploding enemy fighters from the ground. Polcyc had concluded minutes ago that the violence would begin to spill over into bloodshed not long after this moment - he was already too bored to care.

Rook at A-6 to F-6

17. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003

"Always mystify, mislead and surprise the enemy, if possible...such tactics will win every time and a small army may destroy a large one."

-General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

[link=http://splicd.com/9Vetg_e5fJQ/105/178][i]Moving from Zone A-6 to Zone F-6[/i]
    [/link]
    The sun began to set over Mizra.

In the deserted streets of the Inner City, a cohort of Sith were on the move.

"Orders from Lord Polcyc!" roared the leader. He was an enormous creature, tattooed, muscular and savage. At his belt hung the hilts of four lightsabers, and he unclipped one, igniting it to cast a crimson light over his troops. "Follow me!"

He stormed off on the roads, and his band followed him, screaming and hissing bloodthirsty battle cries. Adrenaline and the darkside surged in twin torrents through their veins, heightening their senses and preparing them for the fighting that was to come. Each of them had at least one hundred kills to his name. Many had slain Jedi. This was what they [i]lived[/i] for.

As darkness began to fall, the marauders arrived at their new position, and readied themselves for war.

[b]Tag: none[/b]

[hr]

[i]Jedi Command Center, Zone E1[/i]

"General," said [b]Posca[/b], clearly still worried but looking more confident and composed since [b]Brandl's[/b] speech, "one of our spies has arrived from the Inner City. He has news on Sith movements."

A hooded being stumbled in, barely able to walk. Several officers hurried to the stranger to keep him on his feet, and lifted his hood to reveal a badly bruised Aqualish face. He roughly shrugged away the help that was offered to him, and bowed his head towards the Jedi general. He began speaking in the harsh, guttural sounds of his native language, and Posca immediately began translating.

"He says that he apologises for his appearance," said Posca. "He was set upon by thugs in the Inner City's bazaar, but he managed to fend them off."

The Aqualish produced a blaster from his belt, and pressed the trigger with a dry click. Nothing happened.

"He says that his standard-issue weaponry failed him," explained Posca. "Not for the first time. He was forced to use his fists. He asks for a replacement blaster. A good one. "

Then the spy began gesturing wildly with his claw-like hands, his speech becoming louder and rougher.

"And now he will make his report," continued Posca, becoming impatient. "It took him long enough...anyway, he says that...ah, I see...he has news on the Sith marauders that were previously deployed at Zone A6. Apparently they have moved to take up position in the Inner City at Zone F6...directly north from our starfighters."

The Aqualish seemed to be finished, and Posca turned expectantly to his general.

"Your orders, sir?"

[image=http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/6180/seven.jpg]

18. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Censol Brandl
    Battle of Mizra

The Jedi Master looked at the blaster of the Aqualish, then shook his head. The Sith Marauders were less of a worry. He had assumed the would try to surprise the Starfighters on the ground. What other objective´s could they have got.

"This is unacceptable." Brandl said. He was one of these Jedi having a blaster in addition to his lightsaber. he nowdrew it and handed it to his spy. "For your good work. This one works, believe me." He smiled. Then turned to his second-in-command.

"I want every gun in our infantry to be checked. Until then the fighters will cover us. This kind of mistake cost good leader their battles."
    He sighed. And gave the order for the Second Squadron of available Starfighters to be moved to the frontline c3.

[move: b1 - c3]

19. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003
    OOC: Apologies for the delay. It was meant to be up earlier but my girlfriend came in and demanded cake.

"My lord," said Valkir, hurrying in so quickly that this time he forgot to bow. "Another squadron of Jedi fighters has been deployed, this time to Zone C3. They are building what appears to be a very strong position, my lord."

He hesitated. Polcyc was unlikely to sympathise with the restlessness of his men, but that was becoming a problem. The mercenaries (a wandering band of Ubese soldiers who were happy to receive half their usual fee for a chance to avenge themselves upon the Jedi-led Republic) were starting to become impatient. Even the Sith assassins were said to be frustrated at the slow pace at which their general was conducting this battle.

But to a man, they feared him.

And that was why no protest had been raised thus far.

"Your orders, my lord?" inquired Valkir, suddenly remembering that he had forgotten to bow, and launching into a half-hearted attempt to do so.

[image=http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/686/eightm.jpg]

20. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Battle of Mizra

Polcyc blinked at his opponents move. How very predictable. He couldn't be bothered to raise a hand to forestall his aide, so he let him speak, and then, sighing lazily, Polcyc spoke. "Move the Ubese mercenaries at B-7 forward to B-6." This assembled his defences on the right flank, and had freed up his Marauders.

Nothing astonishing, as ever. Though he absently noticed Valkir had failed to bow, slowly raising a hand to one of his other aides. There was Megaera, and her unspoken irritation, and then there was hesitation - fear - and then there was lack of respect. He would have none of that. He actually went out of his way to look at Valkir, staring at the man with his single eye.

"I am not the Dark Lord of Chaos, or Betrayal, or Hunger. I am Sloth. But you shall die if you do not show me the respect I deserve." He had intended to punctuate his final word with an increased tone, but as it was he had already grown bored, and turned away, back to the battlefield.

Pawn at B7 to B6

21. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003

Night had fallen, and Posca had excused himself to go and finally get some rest. An enormous Boltrunian named Baampu had taken his place as advisor to Brandl.

"We've checked our arms, as requested," reported Baampu, saluting as he entered. "A few malfunctioning blasters, slightly more than expected. We've replaced 'em and our infantry is properly equipped once again...or at least, as well-equipped as we can manage."

"I feel sorry for poor Posca," continued the officer, strolling over to his general's side. "No wonder he's exhausted. You know his wife is serving out there? She's with the troops in Zone B2. I told him she probably wouldn't see much action where she was, but what with the Sith going all unpredictable on us, who knows? She'll be eager for the fight, though. She's a tough lady. Tougher than him, but don't tell him I said that."

Before Brandl could respond to this news, a transmission arrived, and suddenly a large face flickered to life on the holodisplay. It was of a woman in her late fifties who was still exceptionally beautiful. Her long and curly white hair fell delicately over a small, finely shaped face, and her blue eyes were wide and full of life. It was little wonder that half the men were said to be in love with her. Even in the command center the officers had stopped their work to look over at the image.

Her name was Faith Sunrider.

"Censol," she began, bowing her head and beaming a perfect smile. "My dear friend. A pleasure to see you looking so well. Perhaps once the battle is over we can see each other in person again! It has been years, no?

"I'm sorry that we cannot talk for long right now. I have news from my scouts. They have reported that the Sith have moved their mercenaries at B7 to B6, thus creating a chain of troops in the west of the Inner City. We await your orders. My forces and I are ready to move at a moment's notice."

She paused and closed her eyes briefly. When she opened them again, they were full of a fire that had not been there before.

"We...we have also learned that my former padawan is here. Among the enemy. Megaera has risen to the rank of full Sith and stands as second-in-command to Polcyc. I assure you that I am ready to face her if I must. I will not hesitate. As always, the orders are yours to give."

[image=http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/2684/nineh.jpg]

22. DarkLordoftheFins

Apr 2, 2007
    Censol Brandl
    Battle of Mizra

The Jedi Master looked at his old friend. Her apprentice, here? The force had a strange way to bring circles to a close.

"Faith, I do not doubt your dedication. Nor do I have any lack of trust in your abilities. You will fight worthy of a Jedi, I am sure." Censol assured his fellow Master. She needed assurance right now, he was aware. Even for the calmest Master it was hard to be confronted by his own failures. He needed her to concentrate now. To be his field general. As effective as ever. He sighed then looked up at her. He had never had an apprentice and was probably not the right one to say anything about it. But he was also the only one who could say something. "These confrontations are unavoidable. Prepare for Battle. Soon you´ll see the field of honor, Faith." He cut the connection, turning to Baampu. "Keep an eye out for the Sith called Magaera. And Baampu . . . " He hesitated to announce his next decision. But he knew he needed clear minda around him. And his original second-in-commnad had already shown himself to be highly emotional. The situation with his wife made him a risk. "Reassign Posca to communications duty with the fleet. He shall have time to deal with the situation. And if I need to sacrifice his wife . . . he shall be nowhere near the command post."
    The logical decision. A painful one andprobably the end of Posca´s military career. But in battel an officer could not stand in the way of victory. Too many lifes depended on it.

He turned to another officer in the com-erray. "Move our Jedi Knights into the formation." He simply said and pointed out regiment and position.

[move f1 - d3]

23. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003

Valkir quietly shuffled back into the room, trying to keep his head high. The very public rebuke he had received earlier had been a blow to his ego, and there had been plenty of other ambitious servants watching- the devious Devaronian Michel, or the Twi'lek apprentice Tisiphone, or the crude and thoroughly unpleasant human named Sorin.

Each of that trio had some polite but biting comment for Valkir's ears after the incident. And the Umbaran had the feeling that if Lord Polcyc did not kill him first, it was highly likely that one of them might do for him instead.

But the backstabbings and betrayals of his court were undoubtedly of little interest to the majestically slothful Polcyc, which oddly comforted Valkir in some way.

"My Lord," began the Umbaran, bowing so low and long this time. "News from our agents. The Jedi have moved their ground forces. A detachment of Knights and Padawans has left their camp at Zone F1 and headed towards D3. Your orders?"

[image=http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/9472/tenh.jpg]

24. Sinrebirth

Nov 15, 2004
    Battle of Mizra

"My Lord," began Valkir, bowing so low and long this time. "News from our agents. The Jedi have moved their ground forces. A detachment of Knights and Padawans has left their camp at Zone F1 and headed towards D3. Your orders?"

The Sith closed his single eye, neutral as ever. Much better, I suppose. Polcyc didn't say as much aloud. It appeared to laziness on his behalf, not to give his approve aloud - and it was - but he'd long discovered that his laziness was a gift. Polcyc was a trophy of the Sith, responsible for winning many a battle for them, but seemingly having no ambitions - he was simply too bored to have any, and the death of his master had taught him so long ago that ambition simply killed you.

He had lost his point.

Oh, yes.

By not caring enough to speak his approval of Valkir aloud, he could see which of his sychopants would jump first at the opportunity to take the Umbaran's position as 'top aide'. And then, irregardless of whether Valkir survived said attempt, the one who jumped at the attempt would die - Polcyc didn't have enough interest to parry wits with a truly Sith aide. An aide would simply suffice - the better the aide, the better the service he would acquire.

Minimal effort was the philosophy of the Dark Lord of Sloth.

Blinking, again, Polcyc would have been impressed by his opponents action if he hadn't recognised it from somewhere. From years ago... Decades? Centuries? Polcyc didn't even shrug to dismiss the thought, it simply slid away and he refocused on the map.

"Move the Sith assassins at c-8 to b-7." Somewhere in his mind, Polcyc appreciated that his opponent had just made his life very much easier for him. Polcyc thus decided that his interest could be held in this battle for a bit longer - as a gift to the Jedi Master.

Bishop at C-8 to B-7

25. Winged_Jedi

Feb 28, 2003

Baampu entered the room, saluting. With the re-assignment of Posca (a decision that had made the troops respect their General's ruthlessness), the gigantic Boltrunian had become the new aide within the command center.

"General," he said, "According to our spies, Sith assassins have moved from C8 to B7. They remain within their own encampment for now."

He stopped there, and handed over the tactical readouts. There was a nervous air of anticipation in the room. Two days had almost passed, and still there was no bloodshed. Instead, the opposing forces continued to maneuver, preparing for the inevitable clash...and the longer the bloodshed was delayed, the more tense the situation became.

"A civilian is also here to see you," announced Baampu, and in rushed a very thin Twi'lek. He threw himself before Brandl, his hands clasped together as though in prayer.

"My Jedi Lord," he began, his voice cracking. "I am your humble servant, my name is Philusa. Most of us civilians are hiding underground or have been able to flee the City...but unfortunately that has not been possible for my family and I. My parents are very frail, and I could not move them from my house, but I could not leave them there by themselves. We live in the Outer City..."

"At Zone C5, General," interjected Baampu.

"We know we are in danger," said the man. "The Sith bully us every day, but now they are at war their soldiers will kill us and seize everything we have. But I will not abandon my parents. Even now I fear for them while I am here to see you...please my Lord, you must send troops into our area as quickly as you can, to protect us."

"He should go," muttered Baampu. "I'll give a stern warning to the guards, General. You won't be disturbed with this sort of thing again."

"No!" cried Philusa, as he was dragged away. "My Jedi Lord, please! Will you help me?"

[image=http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/964/elevenf.jpg]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.