1. Welcome Guest. New feature: The Art of Disney… Now discussing:

Art Archive Cheveyo's Art Projects - All NEW art: 3/4/07

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Cheveyo, Aug 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
  1. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Hi everyone. I wanted to share with everyone my latest SW fanart. I just finished reading Betrayal, and have a tremendous desire to illustrate the Jedi described within those pages.

This is new to me, as my previous Star Wars illustrations have all been original characters. This set will be my first attempt at established characters in the EU world.

I've chosen for my first subject Jacen Solo, a character often portrayed as the young eldest son of Leia and Han Solo. I wanted to see what Jacen would look like in the Legacy of the Force era, but had only the cover of Betrayal as a reference.
    SPOILER WARNING:
    I also wanted to show his darkened behavior without illustrating any outward Sithly appearance.

For costume design, I'm incorporating the shirt(armor?) seen in the cover, but also using the description in the book, which suggests he wears Jedi robes.

Update on Jacen: As I mentioned in my post below, I've completed the graphite portion of this venture, and am on to the coloring shortly.

To recap the Jacen updates:
    [image=http://brettanilsson.com/jedi/JacenWIP.JPG] - [image=http://brettanilsson.com/jedi/JacenWIP2.jpg]
    />
  2. academygrad88 Force Ghost

star 5
    Very nice Cheveyo! I really like the clothing and his face looks very much like Jacen in some of the other novel covers. The Betrayal cover is not that good to use as a reference because he is sort of looking down and is in shadows, but what you have done here looks very much like what you can see in that cover.

Is it just me, or do the profic covers of Jacen have him look a little too young? Isn't Jacen close to thirty years old? If I remember correctly, he is in his late teens in the NJO and Betrayal takes place over a decade later.

No matter, your pic is fantastic. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Welcome to the FanArt Forum!

AG88
  3. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks, AG88. That's exactly the problem I've been having. Artists have been portraying Jacen as a youth for so long, it seems like the character is having difficulty transitioning into adulthood portrayals. Jacen was born in 9 ABY, so that would make him 31 in Betrayal (40 ABY). He definitely doesn't look 30 in the Betrayal cover, though.

I hope I was able to age him at least a little bit.

4. kennyboy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Brilliant drawing of Jacen. =D=
  5. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    [face_dancing][face_dancing]
    WOOHOO!!

Cheveyo's back!! Cheveyo's back!! First we get Obi-Dawn back, and now Cheveyo--some of my all-time favorite artists are returning to our forum (lucky us!!! :D )!!

And what a fantastic drawing of Jacen Solo!! This is so how he appears in my mind's eye--that sort of casual, almost dispassionate expression on his face, his stance rather easy (though we all know just how dangerous he can be)...a beautiful interpretation, and one that's going to stick with me, I think! Kind of like wicktone's Mara Jade--it's something that just stays with a person! Wonderful--and I'm really looking forward to more!! Welcome back Cheveyo--we've certainly missed your superb talent here! [:D]

**continues dancing...can't stop!**

:D :p

FF

Edit: I noticed that you don't have your personal website (chock full of jaw-dropping work) listed in your signature...any chance we could get a link, so we can go there and drool on all your previous and fantastic work again...? Pretty please? [face_batting] :D
  6. SilSolo Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    *glomps Jacen* Oooh that is soo cute! I just adore that look on his face, that hardened look!
  7. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Thank you, kennyboy. I hope I can keep his appearance and "feel" in line with what we'd expect to see in the eldest Solo boy.

FalconFan, you flatter me too much! You give my high marks to live up to. :D It's good to be back, and I hope I can contribute (or at least show) on a continuing basis. While I've been away, you may be interested to know that I did some re-colors of my other Jedi, and have started a Jedi Histories project on my website. My [extraordinarily lofty] plan is to now illustrate the known Jedi of Star Wars, specifically focussing on the EU and going back to Odan Urr and even beyond. Can you say "Quixotic Dream"? ;)

For now, I'm just focussing on the 3 I really want done: Jacen (as seen above), then Ben, and finally Nelani Dinn. If/when I get these finished, I want to move on to the other Jedi of Betrayal: Jaina, Kolir Hu'lya (a Bothan), Thann Mithric (a Falleen), Tiu Zax (an Omwati), and... of course, I can't forget Zekk and Tahiri (even though she had only a cameo appearance).

I'll post my progress here... I should be busy for a while. ;)

Oh yeah, my website is:
    BrettANilsson.com. To see my Jedi Page, go to my gallery, select the "SciFi" from the top menu, and then click the "Jedi Fan Art" link at the bottom of the thumbnails. Trust me, it's easier to follow than to describe. ;)

You'll note that I plan to have Bio's for all the non-canon Jedi; however, right now only Devry has written bio. (Some of you may recall that Devry used to be called Cheveyo, and had an altogether different bio. Well, he's been redefined [face_whistling]...)

SilSolo, "*Glomps*"?? :D Thank you. The subtleties of an un-smiling smile and unstern hardness were tough to manage. It pleases me that I was able to apparently convey that to you the viewer. :D Thanks!

8. kennyboy Jedi Knight

star 2
    Hey, I checked your website out. I't's amazing, brill job.
  9. corelliascross Jedi Padawan

I'm kinda new around here, so I wasn't familiar with your work. Checked out your site and found out how much I was missing. The Jacen piece looks amazing already, and I can't wait to see it finished!
  10. EloJedi2 Jedi Padawan

Truely amazing!
    I'm new around here too, but just looking at your picture of Jacen I have to say I luv your style. Perfect way to reflect on Betrayal
  11. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    Hi, Cheveyo, nice to see you back!

Excellent graphite work, the hair is a work of art, and the lighting on his face = very cool.

I look forward to seeing the finished article.

12. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks everyone. Good to see ya again, Soits.

For anyone who's interested, I posted a new entry to my blog that describes the coloring process, with examples.

To see my blog, go to my website and click "blog".

13. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    I am new to digital painting so, if you don't mind, I had a few questions about your Blog Tutotial. I was wondering what brushes you used in coloring the figure? Do you use a digital airbrush, acrylics, oil? When you paint do you have to lower the opacity of the paint so you don't obscure the details of your original drawing? If so, what opacity do you recommend? Or are you able to bring the original pencil drawing above the paint somehow--like copying it and then putting it on a top layer. I heard there is a way to make a layer with only the pencil marks visible and all the white empty spaces are transparent, but I have yet to figure out how to do that with Corel Painter IX. [face_worried]

I really liked the drawing you did in the blog. It was amazingly detailed.

JL
  14. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Good questions, Jedi_Lover. I'll see if I can answer them all:

I was wondering what brushes you used in coloring the figure?
    In Paint Shop Pro, I typically use the standard paintbrush tool when coloring; I have a number of presets I use, depending on the effect I'm aiming for and the size of the space to be filled. My standard for the initial color setting is 20px circle set at a 50 Hardness and 1 Step for more fluid movement.

Do you use a digital airbrush, acrylics, oil?
    When coloring, I just use the standard Paint Brush tool, as opposed to the airbrush, pencil, acrylic, etc.

When you paint do you have to lower the opacity of the paint so you don't obscure the details of your original drawing?
    Yes. In fact, I also set my Paint Brush tool to Blend mode of "Multiply", rather than "Normal", because the Multiply tool allows more of the original marks to show throw and better blends the color.

If so, what opacity do you recommend?
    My opacity is typically set at 70% when coloring.

Or are you able to bring the original pencil drawing above the paint somehow--like copying it and then putting it on a top layer. I heard there is a way to make a layer with only the pencil marks visible and all the white empty spaces are transparent, but I have yet to figure out how to do that with Corel Painter IX.
    I've not tried that, actually. I also haven't played with Painter, so I don't know what differences there may be between PSP and Painter.

Most of my drawing comes through the color; however, I do need to use the Lighten/Darken brush to bring out the higlights and deepen the shadows. I think it's this little addition that really makes the illustration "Pop".

Does that help?
  15. Handmaiden_Azul Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, I love your work. I also love your Jacen!
  16. Jedi_Lover Chosen One

star 5
    Yes, very much. Thank you!!

JL

EDIT:
    Or are you able to bring the original pencil drawing above the paint somehow--like copying it and then putting it on a top layer. I heard there is a way to make a layer with only the pencil marks visible and all the white empty spaces are transparent, but I have yet to figure out how to do that with Corel Painter IX.

Hey, I figured it out! While waiting for my kids to finish their TaeKwonDo lesson today, I was reading Painter IX Creativity, by Jeremy Sutton and at the end of the book they mentioned how to do it. I am excited. I love learning how to do new things with these programs.:D
  17. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Sweet! Let me know how it works out, Jedi_Lover.

Update on Jacen:
    I've completed the graphite drawing and will be ready to begin coloring as soon as I get a new scanner. Yeah... I've been using an antiquated (though good quality) scanner which uses a [yawn] SCSI card. Since I've upgarded my art computer, I no longer have a SCSI port!! I've been putting it off for so long, now I have no choice but to get a new one ;). But I digress...

Here is the final graphite version of Jacen, though the bottom half is a little blurred due to camera focus (I used my digital camera):
    Jacen [WIP #2]

Until I get my scanner, I'm going to begin work on my next "Betrayal" characters: Ben Skywalker and Nelani Dinn. :D

18. soitscometothis Force Ghost

star 5
    =D= Looks fantastic! You've really got some nice textures going on there, and as usual, the cloth-folds look completely realistic.

It's a really beautiful piece of work.

19. SongofDreams Jedi Knight

Very impressive, where you doing grayscale? The shading is excellent. There is a picture I will have to put a link to later that really reminds me of this.
  20. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    =P~ :D

What a fantastic drawing of Jacen Solo! =D==D= I totally agree with soits on the clothing (but then, you're the absolute supreme Master of Drapery)--it's just stunning in its realism--it's like I can feel the breeze that's moving it, and his hair. And I know I've already said this, but his expression is just perfect for LOTF. Outstanding capture of that. I so love this, Cheveyo--and I'm so happy that you're posting work in our forum again! :D

FF
  21. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    ...blasted double-post... [face_plain] :D

FF
  22. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Been a while since I posted... again. Life... what can I say? ;) Anyway, I haven't done any serious Star Wars related stuff since Jacen, though I have my figure layout completed for my LOTF Ben Skywalker. If you want to keep up on what I am doing, I post art updates and other stuff to my blog at brettanilsson.com.

I'll throw Ben in here when I have something more than a skeleton to show. :D (And if you're ing hte US) Happy Thanksgiving!!

23. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Once again, I can say it's been a while. ;) Some of you may remember my submission for one of the old Art Challenges (ages ago it seems!!), before EpIII came out. The topic was to show what we thought Vader would look like when he turned from Anakin. For those of you who don't recall my drawing, or never saw it...
    [image=http://brettanilsson.com/gallery/art/i21.jpg]
    Here's the original, in graphite.

I never liked it as it was, and have played with it off and on over the years. I'm now near the end poitn, to a place where I like the drawing enough to show it. Of course, it's not completely finished yet, but I wanted to show you a taste of the changes I made before I publish the final piece.

Here's my sneak peak to Constructing Vader.

24. FalconFan Jedi Master

star 4
    **does "happy-boogie" in thread**

[face_dancing] :D [face_dancing]

Hi Cheveyo!!! [:D]

I am still and forever in awe of your drawing talent, my friend--it's hard for me to believe this piece is done in graphite, the shading is so perfect, the detailing so fine... I have always loved this piece--even the first time I saw it (and I wouldn't know what you've changed, to be perfectly honest--it looks perfect each time I see it! lol!)--it's such a great concept for the creation of Vader: him crafting his own mask and armoring. Everything looks so real--like I could reach out and touch it--just wow-wow-wow... The coloring is fantastic, with the Sith eyes and the splashes of red--so very appropriate, all. Wonderful wonderful work! :D

FF
  25. Cheveyo Force Ghost

star 5
    Thanks, FF. [face_blush]
    Really the only changes I made to it was thre addition of color, so you remember the graphite version correctly. I'll have the finished version loaded soon.

In the meantime, I've been dabbling with PSP9's oil brush tool again. My first attempt was hardly as a success, but this latest one shows a marked improvement. I used Obi Wan as a model for lighting and style. My biggest lesson (literally) was reminding myself that, just as bigger canvas size is better in real media, so to is t his true for digital. With a bigger canvas, I was able to get more detailed... can you say "duh!"

My 2nd all-digital painting:
    [image=http://brettanilsson.com/gallery/art/i59.jpg]

Moderators: Corellian_Outrider
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.