main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Chewbacca #1 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Jul 14, 2015.

1. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    In all seriousness. I hope Life day, family thing and present for Lumpy are the answers for the first 3

2. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    is lumpy canon?

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not yet. Malla already is though (Smuggler's Run novel)

4. TK-421 Is vader

TK-421 Is vader Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2015
    All I ask is a decent name this time. Please mouse...

5. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I was like "wut? must have missed that passage". You're halfway there- she's mentioned in The Princess, The Scoundrel, and the Farmboy.

And who's to say Chewie never mentions his family in this comic? Perhaps when he's talking to Zarro he's like "man, this kid's even more annoying than my son, Lumpy".

BigAl6ft6 and DelRiego like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I knew it was one of the recent novels - just got mixed up as to which one.

7. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    Ok issue but definitely nothing memorable. Very quick read since Chewie doesn't talk.

8. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Pretty decent start, even if it was the usual reluctant hero angle.

And yeah, that opening crawl cracked me up.

9. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    It was fine. Just that, fine. I'd give it 6/10, here's hoping the next issues are going to get better.

10. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    Yeah this issue could have been summed up in an opening crawl and just started on issue #2. Seems like most of the minis have been that way. Shattered Empire's the only one that was solid every issue and it got the shortest run (4 issues) of them all.

11. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    Not a bad first issue, loved the artwork :)

12. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I was a bit irritated that Chewie would play sidekick in his own comic series. Not sure if I'll pick up the next one.

13. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You sure he's the sidekick? 'Cause the two crawls we've gotten so far seem to disagree. :p

Ehpik likes this.
  14. Ehpik

Ehpik Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2013

I think it's due to the comic starting off focusing on Zarro and Arrax. I feel that if they didn't do this and started off with just Chewie, it would definitely seem more different. Perhaps even to the point of starting off the comic with him crashing first and then going into the side story of Zarro, Arrax, and Jaum.

15. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    So far this story looks like it will be fairly simple, and I'm OK with that. Set up a conflict for Chewie to resolve and then let Noto do his amazing work. Hopefully there will be a few twists and turns to keep it fun.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. Pedro5822

Pedro5822 Jedi Knight

May 2, 2015
    Maaaaaaan,the oart where the girl says that Chewbacca won't helop because he doesn't know how it is to be slave and then Chewie just turns with his crossbow and roar is awesome

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Pedro5822

Pedro5822 Jedi Knight

May 2, 2015
    When will the next issue come out by the way?

18. ifleninwasawizard

ifleninwasawizard Jedi Master star 4

Jun 2, 2014
    This Wednesday.

19. UmphPool

UmphPool Jedi Padawan

Oct 21, 2015
    Finally caught up to all Marvel Canon comics !!!

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  20. TheyMightBeGeeks

TheyMightBeGeeks Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 23, 2015
    I like that Chewbacca is coming out bi-weekly and that Shattered Empire was mostly weekly. Wish all minis would do this but it's probably just rush to cash in on TFA hype. Nothing wrong with that.

Which has been your favorite so far?

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Great stuff! Chewie shows a lot of character but since you don't know what he's saying you still have to read into it. But the art does a fantastic job of conveying his emotions. Chewie just seems irritated yet helpful, which is generally how you see him anyway.

22. Praenomen Cognomen

Praenomen Cognomen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2013
    This occupies the weird place between a fairly plain story and a classic Western homage. I feel like maybe it won't satisfy younger or less savvy readers because it's a bit old-fashioned, but also won't satisfy older cinephiles because it's not very high-brow. Personally, I dig it, but it requires you to appreciate something between the two. Really I'm just glad Gerry Duggan is on Star Wars -- I think he'd do well writing for some sort of darkly-comedic bounty hunter story in the future.

23. Dark Clone

Dark Clone Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2015
    I really wasen't feeling this.
    Chewbacca is a great character, but he's not a solo character. I feel that this mini-series is heading down the same path as the Leis mini-series.
    Which was pretty much pointless..........

24. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    So I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but there's a sticker book adaptation of this series called Chewie and the Courageous Kid. It's got a few great illustrations of scenes from the comics, so it's interesting to see some of it in a different art style.

And as a sticker book it's great for younger readers, or for people who just like stickers. :p But either way it's always cool to see alternative takes on stories.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  25. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015
    I had pretty much completely forgotten about this series.