main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chewbacca and Solo

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by VaderGuy, Jun 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderGuy

VaderGuy Jedi Youngling

Jun 30, 2005
    how did Chewbacca and Han Solo ever meet? Sorry if this question sounds simple to you people who read the starwars books

2. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    After the Battle of Kashyyyk in Episode III, the Empire enslaved the Wookiees. This is implied but not directly stated in the film, though it's covered more thoroughly in the novels. Han saved his life, and from that point forward Chewie felt he owed Han a life debt (much like Jar Jar to Qui-Gon Jinn). The two became good friends, and Chewbacca was unwaveringly loyal to Han.

3. Lord_Maul_the_Sith

Lord_Maul_the_Sith Jedi Youngling star 3

May 31, 2005
    From what I remember, Han freed Chewie from Imperial slavery. Chewie, in the custom of the Wookiees, now owed Han a "life debt", meaning he essentially was his bodyguard from now on. Han didn't like it at first, but then he started to like the big guy, and, well, the rest his histroy, innit?

EDIT: Blast you, ousley! You beat me to it! -=He shakes his fist in ousley's general direction.=- GRRRR!

So, yeah.

4. KenobisHeir

KenobisHeir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    I believe the above two posters are correct.

5. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    This event is convered in the Han Solo trilogy. Han Solo was there, and turned on his imperial superiors to rescue Chewie, and therefore got expelled from the imperial academy and started working for the Hutts.

6. YoungAngus

YoungAngus Jedi Master star 5

May 7, 2005
    HAn was a stromtrooper?

7. JediCourier

JediCourier Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Never say "Chewbacca/Han is kinda like JarJar/QuiGon", it's the other way around, Jar-Jar is the weak remake of Chewbacca ;)

8. DS615

DS615 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 30, 2003
    No, an Imperial Officer.
    Leiutenant or Captain depending on what you believe.

9. Lord_Maul_the_Sith

May 31, 2005
    Even though it's EU, Han Solo's backstory doesn't contradict anything in the movies, so I prefer to take it as canon. It explains how he knows the Imperials dump their garbage before a hyperspace jump, among other things. And given what we know about Chewbacca's part of the battle of Kashyyk, I don't think it would conflict with the backstory given to him in the Han Solo trilogy.

10. vw_jedi

vw_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 18, 2002
    Had Chewbacca been a slave for all the time between ep III and The Han Solo Trilogy?

11. Lord_Maul_the_Sith

May 31, 2005
    It's possible that the Clonetroopers rounded up all the Wookiees and enslaved them, due to the fact that they were close, loyal allies of the Jedi and knew that they would never attempt to overthrow the Republic. If the Wookiees put in their two cents regarding the Jedi Purge in the Senate, it'd probably just add fuel to the fire of the growing Rebellion. Palpatine probably wouldn't want any positivity about the Jedi floating around the galaxy, even after they were all terminated.

I'm not sure how long the Han Solo trilogy says Chewie was a slave. If it states it at all. Like I said, I haven't read it in a while.

12. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    although... Wookiees in the Senate... strikes me as something odd... none of them seem very diplomatic, to put it mildly ;)

13. GhostJediknight

GhostJediknight Jedi Youngling

Jul 6, 2005
    Wookies can be diplomatic, just look at how Chewie convinced 3PO and R2D2 to lose the game.[face_whistling]

14. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    LMAO

Wookies were shown in the Senate in TPM (although I think they might have been removed from the DVD version). I think they were already gone in AOTC though.

15. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    They are still there in the DVD version. Why would the be removed? Kashyyyk has a government and they are in the Republic, so it is only right that they get Senatorial representation on Coruscant.

16. origjedi

origjedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 27, 2001
    Yeah, I remember reading about it before as well. Isn't Han and Lando's relationship covered in the Han Solo Trilogy as well? I pretty sure it is. Find out how Han got the Falcon.

17. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    The story of Han Solo:

There is much rumor, speculation, and all-out falsehoods in records of Solo's past. He is the subject of several exploitative holofilms, false documentaries, and at least two bogus autobiographies. According to one account, Han Solo was abandoned by his parents who were rogue travelers and was raised by Wookiees from age seven to twelve.
    In truth, Han spent most of his childhood in the service of Garris Shrike, the leader of a trading clan that used abandoned street urchins as beggars and petty thieves. Solo grew up on Shrike's ship, the Trader's Luck, often returning to Corellia for stopovers. Solo was mostly raised by a kindly female Wookiee named Dewlanna, who taught Han compassion as well as the Wookiee language.

Solo longed to learn more about his parents, but Shrike kept all information from him. The only tie to his family Han found was an unscrupulous cousin named Thrackan Sal-Solo, a cruel bully that Solo wanted little to do with.

Young Solo earned his keep for Shrike doing a variety of unsavory jobs. He once joined a pirate group operated by cutthroats Lemo and Sanda. He made a name for himself racing dangerous repulsorlift swoops professionally and on the independent circuit. In these days, Solo made a blood enemy out of a young Corellian swoop jockey named Dengar.

At 19, Solo ran away from Shrike's group of brigands and began working for the Hutts. At the Hutt spice-processing center on the paradise world of Ylesia, Solo fell in love with an enslaved worker named Bria Tharen. Solo rescued Tharen, and destroyed much of the Ylesian operation. The fact that Solo was using an alias at the time -- Vyyk Drago -- spared him the ire of the enraged Hutts.

Solo eventually joined the Imperial Academy, to better himself and his piloting skills. Solo's mentor during his Academy days was Badure, or "Trooper" as he was known. During a training drill, Han performed a daring landing maneuver with an aged U-33 transport that earned him the nickname "Slick." Sometime during his military career Han Solo earned the right to wear the Corellian Bloodstripe.

Despite promising skills, Solo was drummed out of the service when he defied orders and rescued a Wookiee slave, Chewbacca. Solo freed Chewbacca from his captors, and from that day on Chewbacca served as Han's protector and friend.

His military career in shambles, Solo returned to the fringe, joining a smuggling gang run by Roa. It was here that Solo had his first Kessel Run. He traveled with such notorious fringers as Shug Ninx, Mako Spince, Salla Zend, Katya M'Buele, Silver Fyre, Rik Duel and Lando Calrissian.

After winning the Millennium Falcon from Calrissian, Solo and Chewie worked in the Corporate Sector for some time, for crime-bosses like Big Bunji and Ploovo Two-For-One. It was on these assignments that Han often tangled with the Corporate Sector Authority. Han was responsible for destroying the secret Authority prison installation, Star's End, as well as helping expose a slave trade ring that extended to some very prominent Authority execs. Han then joined Badure on an ill-fated search for the lost treasure of Xim the Despot. During this search, Han sustained a knife injury that resulted in the signature scar on his chin.

After a falling out with many of his fellow smugglers, Solo was left stuck on Tatooine with a hefty debt and hunters on his tail. It was then that he took on the charter to Alderaan that resulted in him being inextricably tangled with the Rebellion.

After the Death Star crisis, Han and Chewbacca left the Rebel base at Yavin to pay off his debt to Jabba the Hutt. En route to Tatooine, the Millennium Falcon was waylaid by a pirate force commanded by Crimson Jack. The pirate robbed Solo of his reward money, leaving the two spacers destitute. The pair returned to the Rebel fold, having few options left. During the Alliance's evacuation of the Yavin Base, Solo and Chewbacca helped the Alliance obtain a power gem from the space pirate Raskar. This power gem was instrumental in getting past the I

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.