main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Chewbacca / Peter Mayhew in Ep. VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo-07, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I can't believe there isn't a thread about this:

http://www.starwars7news.com/2013/09/the-millennium-falcon-rumors-chewbacca.html#more

Firstly, congratulations Peter, get well soon!

Secondly, so Chewie -- Peter Mayhew -- just had his much needed double knee replacement surgery. It no doubt will require a lot of rehab.

Does this affect PW's ability to start filming in January?

I have no doubt he'll be back -- and we suspect that there will be a Han Solo spinoff, surely Peter will be playing Chewie in that as well -- but I'm not sure his knees will be fully recovered. He does have about 3 months to rehab.

At any rate, have a great recovery, Peter!!!

[​IMG]

2. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Get well soon, man

3. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    All the best Mr Mayhew! Get well soon

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  4. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery Peter!

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  5. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm sure he'll be up and running and ready to rip someone's arms out of their sockets when filming rolls around. Get well soon and best wishes, Mighty Chewbacca!

6. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Get well soon mate.

7. Bullhead CIty

Bullhead CIty Jedi Master star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    He lives about 40 minutes from me. Ironically, the area he lives in is somewhat reminiscent of Kashyyyk.

Get well big guy!!!

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Not trying to be heartless but the reason there probably wasn't a thread about this is because a thread like this belongs in SWCommunity. Your heart's in the right place and I'm sure the argument would turn out to be "But this effects Episode VII" so we'll let it run its course, but threads like this should be in SWC when you get an itch to start one. That said...

Get well, famous JCer! Peter Mayhew

Immortiss likes this.
  9. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    It couldn't have been easy for a big guy like him to walk around with bad knees. I wonder how long it takes for a surgery like this to heal.

10. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    All the best to my tall hairy friend. Get well quickly and fully!

11. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Get well soon.

12. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Best wishes! *rawr*

13. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Get well mr. Mayhew. May the Force be with you!

Echo-07 likes this.
  14. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    The fan support will be with him, always

Echo-07 likes this.
  15. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Let the Wookie win! Best wishes Peter [face_peace]

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I wish Peter a very speedy recovery and my heartfelt best wishes. There is only one Chewbacca.

Keeping this thread related to EPVII - I have a bad feeling about this :( I think we're gonna see another actor take over the famous role. (Especially in the proposed Han Solo origins spin off)

17. Taalon

Taalon Jedi Knight

Sep 4, 2012
    I have to agree, I want Peter to get well and lead a long healthy existence but it does not bode well for his chances to appear as our favorite walking carpet in EpVII. I hope he kicks ass during his rehab!

StoneRiver likes this.
  18. Rancorrr

Rancorrr Jedi Padawan

Jan 18, 2013
  19. The_Riddler

The_Riddler Jedi Master star 3

Aug 6, 2013
    Not trying to be heartless but the reason there probably wasn't a thread about this is because a thread like this belongs in SWCommunity. Your heart's in the right place and I'm sure the argument would turn out to be "But this effects Episode VII" so we'll let it run its course, but threads like this should be in SWC when you get an itch to start one. That said...

-----------------

this.

Anyhow, Get well soon Mr Mayhew

20. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I don't know, walk casual!

Get well soon, Mr Mayhew.

If worst comes to worst, maybe Andy Serkis could do it. He's the best at body language and movement; I bet he could study the films and learn to move like Chewie. Of course, they'd have to use some of the LotR film tricks to stretch him up to the proper height. But I bet Mayhew would still do the close ups so we'll get his eyes even if he can't walk. But for the love of Kashyyyk, please don't just stick some tall guy in the costume and expect him to be Chewbacca!

21. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Get well Peter!

As for replacing him, I don't know. Lucas is pretty clear that only Mayhew could play Chewbacca (at 1:22):

and I assume that TPTB will honor that. But even if Mayhew couldn't do it, there are alternatives to replacing him; for instance, have only sitting-down parts for Chewbacca. Or use Mayhew for closeups and a stand-in for full-body shots.

Sarge and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Get better soon...or else.

23. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    While I hope Mayhew returns, I think we should prepare ourselves for the possibility of him not returning. I mean the dude is old and apparantly not in good health, he might not feel up to returning. Anywho....there are tons of tall actors out there who can do the job (like get the guy who played the Mountain or The Hound on Game of Thrones. Those dudes are beasts!), and just have them be mentored by Mayhew on how to be Chewbacca well. It'll be a very simple recast IMO.
    *gets ready to be torn apart by fanboys*

andresfelix likes this.
  24. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This. And I believe they tried to replace Mayhew with another tall guy for a few shots in ESB and it simply didn't work. Mayhew is as important to his character as any of the other actors are to theirs.

Echo-07, Sarge and Count Yubnub like this.
  25. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    While I partly agree with you, what if they work it into the story? What if he doesn't have to run around? Say, in the movie he might be missing a leg or something. Or they could have Peter for shots when Chewie is sitting down, and then they can get a different actor for when he is in motion.

Darth Claire likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.