main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Chewbacca / Peter Mayhew in Ep. VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo-07, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I hope you guys (and/or girls) are right. I'm on the verge of not sleeping over it! Key word "almost". I've never hid my dislike of JJ or Disney from you guys. However I'm trying to be positive. Mostly because the scenes we've seen of Chewie and Han (and the Falcon) are some of the BEST is the trailers! Sure all these new trendy characters seem cool, from Rey, to Finn, to Kylo to BB8, but when you see Han and Chewy on screen, they just carry SO MUCH WEIGHT. It's like Like a lot of fans, when Han says "Chewie, we're home.", it makes such a big impact because Chewie and Han "are ome" to us. They are the familiar.

Long story short I know the writers (and Ford himself) want Han killed off. A lot of people want Star Wars to "move on". Ok, let's kill of Han, but Chewie and the droids should live on. Like JediKnightWax said, these characters (along with the Millennium Falcon) are the glue in this saga.

Fingers crossed that Chewie takes over the Falcon for the other ST films.

arjank likes this.
  2. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
  3. Pliolite

Pliolite Jedi Master star 3

May 3, 2014
    Peter's comments about Daisy Ridley are a little out of order here... I hope she hasn't/doesn't read this tbh.

What I'm guessing is, because John is like a crazy SW fan he was doing a bit of Chewie hero-worshipping on set ^:)^ , where Daisy wanted to focus on getting her performance together and wasn't too fussed about meeting the 'legend' Peter Mayhew...[face_dunno]. Daisy was hired on her abilities, not because she was a SW fangirl. Plus I imagine her being more than a little nervous... you could say a huge portion of this movie's success (if not the trilogy) rests on her shoulders.

Peter should keep his comments to himself, really. Especially saying Daisy's agent obviously told her to lighten up for the conventions etc. It's just rude of him to say that. He doesn't even know.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he didn't say anything bad. at all.

jjgriffin likes this.
  5. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  6. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Oh no!!! Is this Han going AGRO because his best friend Chewie has just been killed!?!!?

[​IMG]

7. EviL_eLF

EviL_eLF Force Ghost star 5

Mar 16, 2003
    Chewie is a bit slow in that scene. I laughed that old Han is up and shooting, whilst Chewie is still trying to climb up to see what's going on. [face_laugh]

8. jjgriffin

jjgriffin Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 12, 2015

Hey, he needs an extra second or two to squeeze through that hole. No different than the trash chute in ANH ;)

9. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Thought Chewie was a bad@$$ in this spot. Taking out those first order stormtroopers like they belonged in the OT!!

As most of you jokers always say "so many feels watching this".. LOL!

10. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    Seriously can't tell if this is from the film or just for the ad.

Satipo and phatdude1138 like this.
  11. phatdude1138

Feb 2, 2005
    Probably the ad.. There wasn't enough shakecam or lens flare to be TFA :p

But to be honest, I HOPE TFA is like this ad! It had a LOT of comic effect! From BB8 getting screwed from the download and Chewie basically rolling his eyes and thinking to himself "well, here I go....". Loved it! NOt everything has to be EPIC or dramatic, this comic effect was really cool. Hope TFA has a lot of that.

12. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014

Really?

13. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    What a gorgeous GSD in your avatar best dogs in the world!

HanSolo29 likes this.
  14. thebadge

thebadge Jedi Master star 4

Mar 15, 2002
    Just a couple points on Natalie Portman
    She was not given great material to work with IMO Ewan did and he easily had the best best performance in the PT
    Also Natalie won the Oscar for Best Lead Actress in Black Swan, she was also great in Leon he Professional when she was 14.
    A very very good actress.

15. Matt47

Matt47 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 17, 2015
    The coloring on Chewy in that new ad is the best it's been in TFA. He really looks spot on here as apposed to the other shots.

16. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    My guess is Chewie pals around with Finn in Episodes 8 and 9, maybe Rey some too. Then after the climax in 9, Chewie "rides off into the sunset" so to speak, returning to his home world to retire. If 10-12 are made I think we will get a new alien sidekick, another "bada**" like Chewbacca. You know, the anti-JarJar...

17. starocean90

Feb 19, 2014
  18. JediKnightWax

JediKnightWax Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    The Holiday Special is canon, confirmed!

Allana_Rey and KnightOfRen like this.
  19. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  20. DeadHankRich

DeadHankRich Jedi Master star 1

Apr 18, 2004
    I did a little searching but I never came across anything that explored the possibility of Chewie's Life Debt being a major plot point or character development. Something that, if utilized creatively, could add a lot of weight and depth to the character and story.

I don't care about what people really believe happens at this point, as to who dies/lives or who's related to whom. This is more of a thought experiment. Whether it lines up with the actual details doesn't matter for the ideas. Let's explore some of these things. Take it and run, what do you think, or what do you think would be cool to see?

To start, we have to make two assumptions.

1. The Wookie Life Debt is cannon. I'm not super tuned into everything SW so I don't know if this got wiped out or that it hasn't been confirmed/denied in the cannon. And, encompasses offspring/friends.

2. One of the new characters is a Solo.

OK. Now, Imagine Kylo is revealed to be a Solo. That means Chewy's debt then extends to Kylo. What would happen if he's attacking Han. Who would Chewy protect? What would he do?

-Would he extend it even though Kylo is "bad"? Is the left debt blind to the intentions of the person being protected?

-If Han dies, what does Chewy do? How does he feel/act after seeing Han die? How does he deal with the failure of not protecting Han? If Han does die could the last scene of the movie be of Chewy alone, burring Han with a sacred Wookie Burial?

-If Han is injured or killed would we see Chewy go into a massive Wookie rage and attack, possibly killing himself or injuring himself in the process? Tearing out arms because of losing a game is one thing, what if something as sacred as a life debt was challenged. How far would a wookie go? How deep is the bond? Attacking a guy with a light saber would almost be suicide, but maybe the wookie rage would surprise and overwhelm the attacker and the wookie would die attempting the protection.

What sort of internal conflict would we see explored with Chewy and his debt?

Problem - If the debt does extend to offspring/friends. That could quickly become far too many to protect at once considering Wookies live for a long time.

If they wanted to they could mention/show or even just start to explore the Life Debt and it could be a thread that they flesh out in a Han Solo or even Chewbacca solo movie have more depth and weight in the future or give present scenes new depth and meaning. Imagine two best buds, shooting around the galaxy with an unbreakable bond. Is Han annoyed at first? Not respect Chewy? Take advantage of him? Not really understand the full weight of a Wookie Life Debt? How does he realize it? How is it proven? What does it really mean to Chewbacca?

I'll just start with Kylo. Another character is entirely possible and could open up a bunch of different scenarios and questions.

What else could be explored with these ideas?

21. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    Peter Mayhew on the touching first meeting with Harrison Ford on TFA set:

“I was sitting in my trailer, he says,” recalling his first day on set of TFA. “There was a knock on the door and someone shouted, ‘Where’s that walking carpet?’ It was Harrison. He came in, gave me a big hug and said. ‘Welcome back.'”

22. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Hey this is a Chewie thread and there's only one breed that looks like, acts like and wants to be like Chewie.....
    [​IMG]

[face_shame_on_you]:D

23. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    So how does everyone think Chewbacca will be utilized in Episode 8? With Han most likely gone, what will Chewie's role be?

Sidekick to Finn? Instrumental in his own subplot? A mere cameo? Or, worst of all, maybe he says goodbye at the end of TFA and doesn't appear in 8?

He could protect "the Princess" of course, but with Leia not really on the front lines any more, does that make sense for Chewie to sit around in a command center?

I'm hoping the action takes the young heroes to Han's home world of Corellia, or we finally see the Kessel Run with a key piece of info tracked down connected to Han or a place of safe harbor that has a Han connection is utilized—like Lando telling Finn "Go to blah-blah place—Han always used it as a safe house..." ---maybe we even see a bit of Han in a hologram recording...and in this way Chewie becomes a contributing member of the team for at least one more film.

24. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    It might be too early to talk about Episode 8. Episode 7 isn't even out yet.
    What's definitely true that either Chewie gets a new sidekick, or he becomes someone new's sidekick. you can't have someone with no dialogues running around alone.
    That's why 3PO and R2 work so well. R2 does the useful stuff and 3PO provides the exposition with lines like "what do you mean [macguffin]? what [main character]? what kind of [important plot point]?"

25. Puke-Jaywalker

Puke-Jaywalker Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 18, 2004
    How was Chewie? All the Han/Rey/Kylo/Luke talk is great but I'm wondering if our aged Peter Mayhew got around OK in the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.