main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Chewbacca / Peter Mayhew in Ep. VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo-07, Sep 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mean but funny:

[​IMG]

Speaking of the "Leia hugs Rey instead" kerfuffle, Abrams weighed in on it himself:

http://www.slashfilm.com/leia-hugging-rey-jj-abrams-force-awakens/

That was probably one of the mistakes I made in that. My thinking at the time was that Chewbacca, despite the pain he was feeling, was focused on trying to save Finn and getting him taken care of. So I tried to have Chewbacca go off with him and focus on Rey, and then have Rey find Leia and Leia find Rey. The idea being that both of them being strong with the Force and never having met, would know about each other — that Leia would have been told about her beyond what we saw onscreen and Rey of course would have learned about Leia. And that reunion would be a meeting and a reunion all in one, and a sort of commiseration of their mutual loss....Had Chewbacca not been where he was, you probably wouldn’t have thought of it. But because he was right there, passed by Leia, it felt almost like a slight, which was definitely not the intention.

To be fair, I can buy the notion that Chewie would be more concerned about getting Finn to safety than stopping with Leia. Besides, we get a shot of Chewie sulking, like, 30 seconds later anyway.

2. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    another moment that was blown out of proportion.

JabbatheHumanBeing likes this.
  3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Was anyone else annoyed with Han taking Chewie's bowcaster?

First, it was kinda pointless. I think there's supposed to be some sort of "hey this is powerful" fun going on, but it didn't do anything for me.

Why not add more comedy to it? Why not have Han try to use the bowcaster...only to find it weighs like 100kg or something, instantly slipping through his hands like a cartoon anvil...or it's so powerful the recoil knocks him on his ass when he shoots it. So, we find out that you need to be Wookiee strong to use it. Harrison could have sold the **** out of that.

I really didn't like Chewie literally having his power taken out of his hands. Why is Han even shooting Chewie's bowcaster? Why not just let Chewie be a total commando badass in that sequence?

It was different when we saw the beautiful princess suddenly snatch the blaster out of the fly boy's hands and rescue herself. There was a point to that.

Here we have the hero taking the power from what is basically a minority character.

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    They're friends. Han asks Chewie if he can try it out. I don't see it as anything more than one friend letting the other friend try out his cool toy for a minute.

5. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Yep. And was also drawing attention to how powerful the bowcaster is, to show that it's not just a scratch when Kylo gets hit in the abdomen

bizzbizz, EHT and cerealbox like this.
  6. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    scene was fine it was inserting some humour and showing how close chewie and han are. also shows how powerful the weapon is to set up kylo losing to rey or fighting to a stalemate depending how you view it. its good storytelling

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    It would have been pretty funny to have Han chucked around by the recoil or something similar but it works pretty well as is.

8. Master of None

Master of None Jedi Master star 4

Jun 14, 2016
    Not to mention Han's coat....
    on, off, on, off.....
    I thought that was pretty funny!:)

9. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    So watching the movie, is anything where Chewie is standing not Peter Mayhew? Or is there no way to know?

I will also admit that I am slightly flummoxed nobody called him "Chewbacca" the whole movie but I don't think even Han has ever called him "Chewbacca" so I guess I can let it slide.

And I'm STILL excited that we finally saw Chewie's fingers!

11. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    Unless there is CGI of Chewie (unlikely given the pro-practical effects stance of the film-makers) then as far as I know then the only one playing Chewbacca is Mayhew. Quite apart from anything else, there aren't many people tall enough to stand in properly anyway, and much like Prowse as Vader, there is a lot of 'body acting' that is put into a character especially one who is unintelligible to an audience - why find another really tall dude who could imitate all of Chewie/Mayhew's body language when he's already right there on the set?

12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Peter Mayhew can hardly walk these days, that's why they needed a new actor inside the suit. Chewie was mainly played by Joonas Suotamo in TFA, except for scenes when Chewie is sitting down.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  13. jakobitis89

Jan 27, 2015
    I stand corrected. Kudos to the new guy then because he did a great job.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    This thread reminded me that I took a couple of pictures of Peter Mayhew at Star Wars Celebration this summer. Just thought I'd share them :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These were taken during his interview on The Star Wars Show. You can actually see me standing with my camera in the official video :p

Dr_Cthulhu and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  15. Grand Master Galen Marek

Grand Master Galen Marek Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 22, 2014
  16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    How is the life debt paid?
    Han died while Chewie helplessly watched.

If Chewie had died saving Han (or his kid, like in the old EU), then the life debt would have been paid.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  17. Maythe14thBeWithYou

Maythe14thBeWithYou Jedi Master star 4

May 26, 2014
    I don't think PM is necessary to SW to be Chewbacca. I think if he "taught" another person to be him, his mannerisms and all he could retire. He already has someone doing his stunts. I just can't imagine having no Chewie :chewie:.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  18. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Chewie and the rest were all leaving the base, and Han was too. But he changed his mind for one last ditch play to lure back his son. And he seemed unsure about doing it, too. That's their reason why they were separated from Han. At least Chewie let out that roar and fired his crossbow, and finished the job by detonating the bombs.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  19. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    You know, something I've thought of

What exactly is Chewbacca's mindset after Han's death? Clearly it drives him berserk, but when you think about it, wouldn't Kylo Ren/Ben have pretty much amounted to sort of a nephew for him? I'd imagine he helped raise him until he turned bad and left. Is it possible that he actually intentionally shot just to wound rather than kill? Regardless, he's still family too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.