main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chewbacca with a price on his head?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Zethlin_Maximus, Jul 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zethlin_Maximus

Zethlin_Maximus Jedi Youngling star 4

May 31, 2003
    In that case, why didn't Fett capture Chewbacca as well as Han in ESB? Or is this yet another cock-up in ROTJ's scripting?

2. Dark_Rogue

Dark_Rogue Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 1, 2003
    maybe Jabba put it on after he got Han so he could have a complete set

3. Darth_MacDaddy

Darth_MacDaddy Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2003
    Maybe this is covered in the EU ?[face_plain]

4. metaforcesaber

metaforcesaber Jedi Master star 2

Oct 13, 2002
    I'm trying to be mature and not laugh under my breath at your phrasing, but I just can't help it. [face_laugh] [face_mischief]
    Anyway, intriguing question. There are of course several possibilities here:

#1 The bounty on Chewie was piddley compared to the bounty on Han. So maybe Boba figured since Jabba was such a chisler, he wouldn't give Boba any more loot if he brought them both in.

#2 Vader makes very clear in Bespin that Chewie and the Princess are going to be put under his supervision, so therefore, since Boba already was going to get Solo, the main prize/bounty, he didn't try to bargain with Vader for Chewie.

#3 Uh, just now thinking about it, I think #2 is the answer ;), but your questions are good nonetheless, given Jabba's statements ("at last we have the mighty Chewbacca") in Ep6. Perhaps the bounty for Chewie increased after he escaped Vader and was known to be working with the rebels?

5. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Even if Chewie didn't have a price on his head before, I'm sure Jabba would be willing to pay for him, just because of his connection to Han. It would have just been an inconvenience for Boba to carry Chewie when a)that's not what Jabba sent him for and b) there was no time to freeze Chewie as well before Luke arrived (not that Vader would have allowed it anyway, since he only used Han as a test of the machine). Live cargo is a lot more inconvenient to carry around then Solo-on-a-Slab(tm).

6. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Transporting an angry Wookiee on a tiny ship like Slave 1 is a baaaaaaad idea.

7. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    The expression "cock-up" is a very, very, VERY old English expression meaning to make a very big mistake. It's sooo old, in fact (it pre-dates the slang word "cock"), that I and most other English and British people don't think twice about saying it.

But getting back to my question. As far as I can tell, bounty hunters are freelance. They work for whoever pays the most. So, in that case, Fett could have easily taken Chewbacca back to Jabba with him in binders and sedated. And if Chewbacca has got a big price on his head, why not take the both of them in? After all, Vader didn't really need the big fur ball at all. It was the Princess that he was more interested in.

8. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001

Would there have been enough room in the Slave 1 to carry Han and a very angry wookie?

9. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    Chewbacca wouldn't have been "very angry", because he would have been out cold. He would have also been chained up.

Jabba also wouldn't have put a price on Chewbacca's head simply because he was an enemy of the Empire. The Emperor or Vader would have done that, hence you take Chewbacca to Vader or the Emperor, not Jabba. As far as I can tell in ESB, Chewbacca wasn't wanted by Jabba, otherwise Fett would have taken him along as well.

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Yet Jabba paid 35 grand for his capture. Doesnt sound like he doesn't want him does it?

11. Darth Exar

Darth Exar Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 7, 1999
    Han owed Jabba money, and put the price out on his head.

Keep in mind, the bounty hunter that "caught" chewie wasn't real, and wasn't someone sent to find Chewie with promise of payment. I doubt Chewie actually had bounty hunters looking all over the galaxy for him. More like, after the Bespin incident he just disappeared, and later some bounty hunter(read Leia) found him and thought hey, I bet old Jabba would like to meet this guy.. I'm sure Han was worth CONSIDERABLY more than Jabba paid for Chewie, since Boba Fett had the nerve to turn to Vader and say "what if he doesn't survive, he's no good to me dead" rather than letting vader just do his thing, like everyone else lets him..

12. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    #2 Vader makes very clear in Bespin that Chewie and the Princess are going to be put under his supervision, so therefore, since Boba already was going to get Solo, the main prize/bounty, he didn't try to bargain with Vader for Chewie.

There ya go. That's my choice of answer. Vader has respect for Fett but obviously doesn't have much respect for people like Lando. We know from Vader's dealings with the military that he only likes people who get their job done and don't pididdle around or worry about what their reward will be. It was worth a lot more to Fett to stay on Vader's good side and be able to get more contracts from him than it was to haggle for Chewie and make a few extra credits.

13. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    I believe that the Empire and Jabba each paid Fett over 100 grand for Han. Ironically, Han only owed Jabba 12400 credits.

14. Zethlin_Maximus

May 31, 2003
    So why did Vader want Chewbacca so much that he wouldn't allow Fett to take him? I doubt very much that Chewbacca meant that much at all to the Empire.

I still very much doubt that Chewbacca did anything to warrant a price on his head. I think it was just a ROTJ script red herring to make the plot "work".

15. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Didn't Fett raise the price on the "art" as he called it for 250k? I'm sure I read that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.