main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Chewbacca's importance

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Dec 4, 2015.

?

How important is Chewbacca to Star Wars?

1. He's inarguably necessary

14 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Somewhere in the middle

11 vote(s)
    39.3%
  3. He's pointless

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Seems to be a hotly debated topic

Some claim that Chewbacca is an essential character to the saga and is needed to make it feel more complete. Others say that's he's a pointless character there only to fulfill the role of alien sidekick after Han was re-imagined as a human character.

What's your take on him?

Don't get me wrong - I love Chewbacca, but to me, I think his role could easily be removed and not much would change, which is why I vote for the middle choice. However, I think he's key to Han's development and I would sorely miss him if I woke up in an alternate universe where he didn't exist. He certainly adds a lot of charm and magic to the OT that just wouldn't be there without him

enigmaticjedi and jakobitis89 like this.
  2. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Chewie had a hand in urging Han to fight for the Rebellion at the end of ANH. He understood their cause and felt loyalty to them. It was not just Luke who inspired Han to go back. It was Chewie and something within himself. Also, Chewie always helps Han fly the Falcon, and while Leia is a strong character, Chewie was integral for her protection at the end of TESB. He definitely is important in the Battle of Endor. The list goes on...

3. PHIERY

PHIERY Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Along with Artoo, Chewie IMO is the most lovable character in the SW universe. Of course he is important. In the OT, I put Chewie at number 3 just behind Han and Luke as far as importance to the rebellion goes.

4. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    I'm with you on every count Seagoat. The Carpet That Walks is one of my favourite characters but narratively he's not vital. You could theoretically give Han his mechanic skills and he would be completely redundant to the plot. BUT... he is a massive part of the OT's charm and despite not uttering an intelligible word he is responsible for a lot of Han's own charm and development too. And I think Peter Mayhew's 'body acting' is massively underrated. All he does is grunt and growl but you know EXACTLY what he's thinking.

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Let's see... without Chewie, Han wouldn't have been able to save Lando. Without Lando, there would have been somebody less qualified flying the Falcon into the Death Star. Chewie also was the one that led Han, Luke, and Leia into the Ewok's trap. Without that, the Alliance might not have recruited the Ewoks, and Rebel losses would have been much heavier. And that's only in RotJ!

6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    If Chewbacca is unhappy, something must be wrong. And if he's happy, something must be right. The guy is a barometer.

Sarge and PHIERY like this.
  7. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I always thought having Ewoks instead of Wookies was a massive missed opportunity for the character of Chewbacca! Not only would the ending of Jedi have been way more epic BUT imagine Chewy standing up to the Wookies to release his friends!

8. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    He's more than Han's alien sidekick. Especially in ANH, Chewie acts as Han's conscience.

Lt. Hija, Sarge, Dinos4Ever and 3 others like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Han, Luke, Leia, the droids and Chewie are a team. They go together.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  10. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Exactly. Voted for the middle choice as well.

11. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    In a galaxy far away, in the first movie at least (edit), Chewbacca is the only major character who is an alien. He adds to the charm of the SW universe. You have your droids, smuggler, wizard, princess, everyman, cyborg villain, and alien.

Plus, Chewbacca is important to Han's character development. He convinces Han to go back for Luke and Leia in ANH. He is the only one who tries (admittedly in vain) to stop the Empire from carbon-freezing Han.

He is the one who saved Luke in ANH. Han was just flying the ship. If Chewbacca missed, everyone would have been killed.

Although in the end, I have to agree with you, Seagoat. Despite the fact he is a brilliantly lovable character, he is not quite as important as the main characters.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Chewie is not an essential character in terms of story, but he is essential in terms of giving the gffa that distinct flavor that it has.

13. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Curious of if you have forgotten certain other characters, I am

enigmaticjedi likes this.
  14. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011

I was thinking along the lines of "If Chewie had never been added to the first Star Wars movie, how would it affect the SW universe?"

Edited it accordingly. Of course, Yoda is a major character and an alien. He was never part of the millennium falcon gang though, which is the first thing that came to mind when I wrote the post.

Millennium falcon gang: Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, R2, 3PO. -- He's the only alien there.

Villains: Darth Vader, The Emperor, Boba Fett, Tarkin, Piett. -- All humans here.

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Jabba...

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Darkslayer like this.
  16. enigmaticjedi

Nov 2, 2011

Yeah my SW memory has been acting weirdly. Studying for finals will do that.

WriterMan likes this.
  17. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    I agree that Chewbacca is in the grand scheme of things might not be the most important character. However he is shown to help out, like taking that walker in ROTJ. But similar to R2 or C-3PO , who don't get the most spotlight either, Chewy's like family who would be missed if not seen with the big three.

enigmaticjedi and oierem like this.
  18. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    This!

He is Han's sidekick, he kills some stormies (yes, chewie, do it! I hate stormies!) and is a very good comic relief (better than Jar Jar)

But never watch the holiday special...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    That's priceless. Lol.

20. The Grace of the Force

The Grace of the Force Jedi Padawan

Dec 18, 2015
    I wouldn't want to live in a world where Chewie didn't exist

Seagoat likes this.